A parable of how confessing one's sins releases the power sin holds over us

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Johnny, Sally, and the Duck A Story of Forgiveness

A little boy visiting his grandparents was given his first slingshot. He practiced in the woods, but he could never hit his target. As he came back to Grandma’s back yard, he spied her pet duck. On an impulse he took aim and let fly. The stone hit, and the duck fell dead. The boy panicked. Desperately he hid the dead duck in the wood pile, only to look up and see his sister watching. Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.

After lunch that day, Grandma said, “Sally, let’s wash the dishes.” But Sally said, “Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen today. Didn’t you Johnny?” And she whispered to him, “Remember the duck!” So Johnny did the dishes.

Later, Grandpa asked if the children wanted to go fishing. Grandma said, “I’m sorry, but I need Sally to help me make supper.” Sally smiled and said, “That’s all taken care of. Johnny wants to do it.” Again she whispered, “Remember the duck.” Johnny stayed while Sally went fishing.

After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally’s, finally he couldn’t stand it. He confessed to Grandma that he’d killed the duck.

“I know, Johnny,” she said, giving him a hug. “I was standing at the window and saw the whole thing. Because I love you, I forgave you. But I wondered how long you would let Sally make a slave of you.”

- Author Unknown

Johnny, Sally, and the Duck A Story of Forgiveness

In this story Johnny had done a bad thing and his sister was using it against him. It wasn't until he confessed his sin that he was able to release the hold that sin held over him. Sin has a way of making a slave of us. Speaking our sins out loud to another person literally releases the power that sin has over us. We have all heard people talk about how they felt relieved after they tell another person what they did; that a burden has been lifted from them. Confessing our sins out loud has a practical application. In fact, this is one of the steps in the 12 step program; to seek out those we have harmed and make amends. We are only as sick as the secrets we keep. Once they are no longer secrets we are free to discuss them openly and learn from our mistakes. Why? Because we can't learn from our mistakes until we acknowledge that we have made mistakes.

Last edited:
Good one Ding. The door was opened and shut all in a matter of days. Some cannot get those type doors shut as they hold these type things inside.

Good one Ding. The door was opened and shut all in a matter of days. Some cannot get those type doors shut as they hold these type things inside.
Thank you. That is absolutely correct. We have all seen this in our own lives and the lives of others. Confession and forgiveness are inseparable sisters in progressing our maturity in Christ.

Kindness and Forgiveness

Prophet Muhammad himself was a very kind and loving person. He treated every one, young and old, with kindness and respect.

Because Prophet Muhammad was spreading the word of God. Because he was changing, for better, the lives of many Arabs and because some Arabs felt that by the teachings of Muhammad their old idols were losing power they disliked Muhammad and planned to kill him. Every time they tried to kill him, they failed. This angered the enemies of Islam even more. So they began to harass him in every way they knew.

One old woman made a habit of throwing rubbish on Prophet Muhammad whenever he passed from her house. Muhammad had to pass that house daily on the way to the mosque. Even when the old woman threw rubbish on him, he would pass silently without showing any anger or annoyance. This was a regular, daily event.

One day when the Prophet was passing by, the woman was not there to throw the rubbish. He stopped and asked the neighbour about her well-being. The neighbour informed the Prophet that the woman was sick on bed. The Prophet politely asked permission to visit the woman.

When allowed he entered the house, the woman thought that he had come there to take his revenge when she was unable to defend herself because of sickness. But the Prophet assured her that he had come to her, not to take any revenge, but to see her and to look after her needs, as it was the command of Allah that if any one is sick, a Muslim should visit him and should help him if his help is needed

The old woman was greatly moved by this kindness and love of the Prophet. By the example of greatness of Muhammad, she understood that he was truly the Prophet of God and Islam was the true religion. She accepted Islam at once.

On an impulse he took aim and let fly. The stone hit, and the duck fell dead.

Once they are no longer secrets we are free to discuss them openly and learn from our mistakes. Why? Because we can't learn from our mistakes until we acknowledge that we have made mistakes.

causing death is an irredeemable sin ...

this is a very poor example, the sin is irredeemable, by the taking of a life the child has no way to reinstate the loss. the actual seriousness of this parable does not equate to the silliness of the story.

I say it is a poor example by the fact the child did not know the meaning of life when foolishly obeying his illadvised whim - the choice taken by his sister is equally reprehensible and his grandmother should have taken more care than the forgiveness she was not entitle to bestow.

the 1st century was so much better than the 4th, a bunch of mindless biblethumping rednecks.

Once they are no longer secrets we are free to discuss them openly and learn from our mistakes. Why? Because we can't learn from our mistakes until we acknowledge that we have made mistakes.
causing death is an irredeemable sin ... this is a very poor example, the sin is irredeemable, by the taking of a life the child has no way to reinstate the loss. the actual seriousness of this parable does not equate to the silliness of the story. I say it is a poor example by the fact the child did not know the meaning of life when foolishly obeying his illadvised whim - the choice taken by his sister is equally reprehensible and his grandmother should have taken more care than the forgiveness she was not entitle to bestow. the 1st century was so much better than the 4th, a bunch of mindless biblethumping rednecks.

I believe this is an excellent example. Do you have something against the concept of confessing sins and forgiving sins?

Do you have a better example you would like to share?

causing death is an irredeemable sin ... this is a very poor example, the sin is irredeemable, by the taking of a life the child has no way to reinstate the loss. the actual seriousness of this parable does not equate to the silliness of the story. I say it is a poor example by the fact the child did not know the meaning of life when foolishly obeying his illadvised whim - the choice taken by his sister is equally reprehensible and his grandmother should have taken more care than the forgiveness she was not entitle to bestow. the 1st century was so much better than the 4th, a bunch of mindless biblethumping rednecks.

I believe this is an excellent example. Do you have something against the concept of confessing sins and forgiving sins?

it's called reading what is already posted - taking a life is irredeemable, there is no (mortal) forgiveness possible the sin the child committed - he can not bring the life he took back ...

you might begin by using an example where the sin committed is capable of redemption.

it's called reading what is already posted - taking a life is irredeemable, there is no (mortal) forgiveness possible the sin the child committed - he can not bring the life he took back ...
you might begin by using an example where the sin committed is capable of redemption.
Get a grip.......it was just a duck, not a person. ..... :cool:

Last edited:
Kindness and Forgiveness

Prophet Muhammad himself was a very kind and loving person. He treated every one, young and old, with kindness and respect.

Because Prophet Muhammad was spreading the word of God. Because he was changing, for better, the lives of many Arabs and because some Arabs felt that by the teachings of Muhammad their old idols were losing power they disliked Muhammad and planned to kill him. Every time they tried to kill him, they failed. This angered the enemies of Islam even more. So they began to harass him in every way they knew.

One old woman made a habit of throwing rubbish on Prophet Muhammad whenever he passed from her house. Muhammad had to pass that house daily on the way to the mosque. Even when the old woman threw rubbish on him, he would pass silently without showing any anger or annoyance. This was a regular, daily event.

One day when the Prophet was passing by, the woman was not there to throw the rubbish. He stopped and asked the neighbour about her well-being. The neighbour informed the Prophet that the woman was sick on bed. The Prophet politely asked permission to visit the woman.

When allowed he entered the house, the woman thought that he had come there to take his revenge when she was unable to defend herself because of sickness. But the Prophet assured her that he had come to her, not to take any revenge, but to see her and to look after her needs, as it was the command of Allah that if any one is sick, a Muslim should visit him and should help him if his help is needed

The old woman was greatly moved by this kindness and love of the Prophet. By the example of greatness of Muhammad, she understood that he was truly the Prophet of God and Islam was the true religion. She accepted Islam at once.
That is an excellent example of kindness and forgiveness. Thank you.

there is nothing trivial in taking a life, its an awful parable throughout including all the characters - the christian probably learned it in their Sunday school - what's your excuse, jihadie.

there is nothing trivial in taking a life, its an awful parable throughout including all the characters - the christian probably learned it in their Sunday school - what's your excuse, jihadie.

New Topics

Forum List

Back