A numbers kind of guy

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Hi! :eusa_hand:

I used to be on a forum elsewhere - and got burnt out. Haven't decided yet if I want to be on another forum at all, but a dear friend recommended this forum, so I am gonna check out usmb and see what's shaking.

I am a person who loves numbers and statistics. If you llike numbers too, then I bet we will get along famously. This may be hard to describe without sounding completely nuts, but the numbers kind of dance in my head - even while I am dreaming - and allow me to achieve a statistical overview of what is going on in the world.

I do lots of electoral statistics, but am branching out into other statistics realms as well. For me, it is totally relaxing and even helps me to have the energy to concentrate on my real profession in the outside world.

At the moment, for me, statistical probability is less important than actual statistical history of a recurring event, for instance, nuclear power plant security breaches, elections, atlantic storms or polio outbreaks in Asia - for I believe very strongly that knowing our past helps us to form our wished-for future.

I've worked pretty damned hard to be totally impassionate when it comes to numbers and not try to bend them to satisfy my own political leanings.

I am fluent in a number of languages and very much enjoy seeing other members salt-and-pepper their postings with words and phrases from a foreign language, for I believe that each language has it's own flavor and way of describing things that can't always be duplicated in another language. Did you know that the Inuits have about 20 different words for "snow" but no word for "war" in their lexicon?

Finally, I am willing to greet each person of good will with good will in kind, regardless of political leanings. Treat me well, I will definitely treat you well.

Off to the starting gate.....

Statistikhengst

I used to be on a forum elsewhere - and got burnt out. Haven't decided yet if I want to be on another forum at all, but a dear friend recommended this forum, so I am gonna check out usmb and see what's shaking.

I am a person who loves numbers and statistics. If you llike numbers too, then I bet we will get along famously. This may be hard to describe without sounding completely nuts, but the numbers kind of dance in my head - even while I am dreaming - and allow me to achieve a statistical overview of what is going on in the world.

I do lots of electoral statistics, but am branching out into other statistics realms as well. For me, it is totally relaxing and even helps me to have the energy to concentrate on my real profession in the outside world.

At the moment, for me, statistical probability is less important than actual statistical history of a recurring event, for instance, nuclear power plant security breaches, elections, atlantic storms or polio outbreaks in Asia - for I believe very strongly that knowing our past helps us to form our wished-for future.

I've worked pretty damned hard to be totally impassionate when it comes to numbers and not try to bend them to satisfy my own political leanings.

I am fluent in a number of languages and very much enjoy seeing other members salt-and-pepper their postings with words and phrases from a foreign language, for I believe that each language has it's own flavor and way of describing things that can't always be duplicated in another language. Did you know that the Inuits have about 20 different words for "snow" but no word for "war" in their lexicon?

Finally, I am willing to greet each person of good will with good will in kind, regardless of political leanings. Treat me well, I will definitely treat you well.

Statistikhengst

:thanks:

/duct tapes new member into forum

"I'm doing this for your own good."

;)

:smiliehug:

You must stay.

Any friend of Boops is a friend of mine! Welcome, Stat!! Hope you don't mind me shortening your name...easier to remember how to spell it, lol.

Did you know that the Inuits have about 20 different words for "snow" but no word for "war" in their lexicon?

Really? Cool info!!! The numbers thing will confuse me so I will give you a headsup about that, but stuff like you said about the Inuits fascinates me. :)

Greenies for a welcome mat for ya!

• Banned

Thank you.

Any friend of Boops is a friend of mine! Welcome, Stat!! Hope you don't mind me shortening your name...easier to remember how to spell it, lol.

Did you know that the Inuits have about 20 different words for "snow" but no word for "war" in their lexicon?

Really? Cool info!!! The numbers thing will confuse me so I will give you a headsup about that, but stuff like you said about the Inuits fascinates me. :)

Sure, go ahead, the name is easier to remember as "Stat"!

Not so sure I understand the greenies comment. Is that a tradition here on this forum, or am I just being dense right now? :confused:

Thank you.

Not so sure I understand the greenies comment. Is that a tradition here on this forum, or am I just being dense right now? :confused:

Top right hand corner, = rep. So when you see a post you like, you click on that, and give them sort of a thumbs-up or -down. Green is up, red is down.

To see the rep, hit user control panel and scroll down a bit. You will see both what rep you've given and that which you've received. Important: you can only rep the same person every twelve reps, and most important, you cannot neg rep the same person twice in a 48-hour period. It behooves you to track negs so you don't lose all your rep by neg repping someone twice in that time frame.

Neg repping is kind of boring anyway. Most of us use it sparingly.

Welcome to USMB, Statistikhengst...

332898y6n74wubnr.gif

:)

I call pos reps "greenies". Red Splats are what you DON'T want, lol.

Its just a game we all play. Mostly, I use the thanks button for a well written post or someone who says something I agree with or resonates with my own thinking. Green thumbs up is pos rep...which means someone REALLY said something I liked. I give out Red rep (negative=red=bad) to mean people. I don't hand a lot of those out. People disagree all the time. It's when they make it personal that makes me give bad rep.

Thank you.

Top right hand corner, = rep. So when you see a post you like, you click on that, and give them sort of a thumbs-up or -down. Green is up, red is down.

To see the rep, hit user control panel and scroll down a bit. You will see both what rep you've given and that which you've received. Important: you can only rep the same person every twelve reps, and most important, you cannot neg rep the same person twice in a 48-hour period. It behooves you to track negs so you don't lose all your rep by neg repping someone twice in that time frame.

Hey, thanks for the heads-up! I assume it is therefore prudent to not overdo it with "greenies" - is that correct?

I call pos reps "greenies". Red Splats are what you DON'T want, lol.

Its just a game we all play. Mostly, I use the thanks button for a well written post or someone who says something I agree with or resonates with my own thinking. Green thumbs up is pos rep...which means someone REALLY said something I liked. I give out Red rep (negative=red=bad) to mean people. I don't hand a lot of those out. People disagree all the time. It's when they make it personal that makes me give bad rep.

Thanks for the information. There we are absolutely of one mind. I actually love it when someone can strongly disagree with me, but never makes it personal or tries to throw barbs. Said a great mentor of mine: "fantastic ideas are not corporeal" - they are not our property. Helluva guy, he was.

Thank you.

Hey, thanks for the heads-up! I assume it is therefore prudent to not overdo it with "greenies" - is that correct?

Oh, use up all your greenies, it's half the fun! You are allowed twenty reps a day, and when you run out you can check your control panel to see when another will be freed up.

Also, there is a gaming folder, a thread under general called The Coffee Shop, and a thread in the Rubber Room called the Tavern. Great places to hang out when idiocy abounds. :)

Some folks take their rep very serious. Good rep is..well..good. Cuz it shows folks that they have a good standing in the community. Looking at their thanks, and how many they give to others, also shows newbies that person is pretty cool. It's the ones with the red splats all over instead of green squares...not so good. They troll or are mean or use disgusting words when losing a disagreement and make it personal. Fat Cow. Ho. Slut. Dick. Fucktard, etc etc etc. In short..mean people. I don't like mean people. And I don't like me when they piss me off cuz I can be mean too. I just don't like to be.

Tavern and Cofffee Shop is a great place to meet the folks here. Just a bunch of people yakking away and leaving their weapons at the door. But sometimes some sneak in with one...and are promptly told to go check their weapons again. Fight free, so to speak. :)

Rep is my 'go-to' reaction to a post I like. If I'm out of rep, I'll thank. If I have rep and I really liked the post, I'll rep AND thank.

And I'm totally with Gracie on why red sometimes happens.

The places I aimed you are good for getting to know the people behind the posters.

Tavern and Cofffee Shop is a great place to meet the folks here. Just a bunch of people yakking away and leaving their weapons at the door. But sometimes some sneak in with one...and are promptly told to go check their weapons again. Fight free, so to speak. :)

Rep is my 'go-to' reaction to a post I like. If I'm out of rep, I'll thank. If I have rep and I really liked the post, I'll rep AND thank.

And I'm totally with Gracie on why red sometimes happens.

The places I aimed you are good for getting to know the people behind the posters.

Ok, I'm getting a feel for this now. This information is extremely helpful to me. Greenie first, then thanky last... got it :) :)

I notice that by the rep point app, the default is to "approve", which means you have to take time to click on "disapprove" to show your distaste. Good idea. I also notice that you cannot give out a rep point twice. Also a good safeguard.

I notice that by the rep point app, the default is to "approve", which means you have to take time to click on "disapprove" to show your distaste. Good idea. I also notice that you cannot give out a rep point twice. Also a good safeguard.

Agreed.

Well, my shift is over and I'm going to go slip into a good book. Laterz! *if you see me again before noon, it will be because this place is hopelessly addictive*

Statistikhengst

Always good to have people on board who understand stats. I won't pretend to be in your league but I find them useful for trends and benchmarks. I tend to use them sparingly because of the old saw about "lies, damn lies and statistics". :D

Now I was going to give you some greenies as a welcome gift but I have been informed that I have already given out too many (20) within the last 24 hours :eek: so you are just going to have to be patient with me! ;) (Boopsie has the patience of a saint to put up with me.)

Have fun and and make yourself at home in the Coffee Shop and the Tavern.

Peace
DT

Forum List

Back