anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Usually, I am the biggest bitch here about this, but let's put it aside now, and let's discuss whether a scientific view can be developed.

Obesity is the most deeply personal development of human life, and thus the primary result of worldwide Americanization, with its most recent and famous casualty, Brazil.

So, how does obesity develop? Obesity, by its dynamics, falls into the category of addiction related deceases. For an obese person, the reason for obesity is usually the people around in the immediate vicinity.

But obesity is an epidemic, and a modern age development, so the answers may be global. Here is my take, I wonder about yours. Modern life is defined usually by its economic productivity. On the personal level, this means the difference between shareholder expectations and related personal achievement for that. (That is achievement minus expectation.) This difference is always negative, otherwise the shareholders leave unutilized production capacity on the table, missing out at parts of their profits.

As a result, a modern person is in a continuous catch up race. The modern person must continuously invest into herself by buying products that speed up her ability to catch up with the shareholder expectations. These products must also reflect her sense of status, which is the outwardly manifestation of aiming at that negative gap above. This means the maximization of personal credit utilization such as mainly in cars and property.

Like an addict, who can't catch up with the continuous negative gap between the demands of her addiction and her personal achievement in servicing that addiction, an obese person can't catch up with the negative gap between the demands of shareholders plus personal credit, and her personal achievement in servicing these two demands.

What kind of solutions are possible to fix this problem? Tell the obese person to forget that every day in school she was told to prepare for a productive life? Tell the obese person something about the people immediately around her? Tell the obese person about her achievements or what she should think she deserves? These trials have already failed nationally, because these are equivalent to trying to fix an addict without trying to change her drugs.

So, is there such a thing as a lost generation? Or an evil generation? Or a generation of poison? We know that there is officially a generation called the Me generation. That generation formulated itself by defining its personal decisions in order to exploit its environment. Is the key to survival for a 21st century generation then a capability to define its personal decisions in order to protect itself from its environment? Is that even feasible?

Discuss.

Last edited:
In reality, obesity not a disease. Nor is it an affliction beyond what the person puts upon themselves. Obesity comes from life choices. Some claim they are fat because they eat because they are lonely or feel bad about themselves. That might be true, but, it is what they choose to eat more than it is how much they eat. Sit down and eat a watermelon regularly and you wont gain an ounce. Eat a bucket of greasy fried chicken and a bag of donuts regularly and your ass is going to eventually compete with the state of Texas for real estate.

Another thing: Sitting on ones ass does not make it smaller. Exercise not only makes an ass smaller, makes it firmer too.

In reality, obesity not a disease. Nor is it an affliction beyond what the person puts upon themselves. Obesity comes from life choices. Some claim they are fat because they eat because they are lonely or feel bad about themselves. That might be true, but, it is what they choose to eat more than it is how much they eat. Sit down and eat a watermelon regularly and you wont gain an ounce. Eat a bucket of greasy fried chicken and a bag of donuts regularly and your ass is going to eventually compete with the state of Texas for real estate.

Another thing: Sitting on ones ass does not make it smaller. Exercise not only makes an ass smaller, makes it firmer too.

So we are back to the puzzle then, why people want to feel bad about themselves and eat accordingly. I am sure that the OP is not the only speculation possible about it.

Wanna lose fat? Do these three things:
1. Stop drinking soda.
2. Stop eating bread.
3. Stop eating deep fried anything.

Watch the weight fall off with no exercise.

Stop blaming Society or Genetics.

Shop the perimeter of the grocery stores heavily and the aisles sparingly. The perimeter is where most of the real foods reside.

Carbs aren't necessarily bad, it's the white carbs that are crap. Stop eating white pasta, rice, and bread. Instead, opt for brown rice, whole grain breads, and veggie pastas.

Cut out the sugary foods and eliminate any with high fructose corn syrup. If you MUST use sugar in cooking, go with honey or raw turbinado sugar.

Quit eating like you're 14-years old. If it doesn't go in the eating hole, you won't be a fat ass.

Shop the perimeter of the grocery stores heavily and the aisles sparingly. The perimeter is where most of the real foods reside.

Carbs aren't necessarily bad, it's the white carbs that are crap. Stop eating white pasta, rice, and bread. Instead, opt for brown rice, whole grain breads, and veggie pastas.

Cut out the sugary foods and eliminate any with high fructose corn syrup. If you MUST use sugar in cooking, go with honey or raw turbinado sugar.

Quit eating like you're 14-years old. If it doesn't go in the eating hole, you won't be a fat ass.

Now this is a god one for real, "if it doesn't go in the eating hole you won't be a fat ass". It appears that there is a lot of work needed to make it avoid the eating hole.

I don't see how we're ever going to lose weight unless we pass some laws or something.

Usually, I am the biggest bitch here about this, but let's put it aside now, and let's discuss whether a scientific view can be developed.

Obesity is the most deeply personal development of human life, and thus the primary result of worldwide Americanization, with its most recent and famous casualty, Brazil.

So, how does obesity develop? Obesity, by its dynamics, falls into the category of addiction related deceases. For an obese person, the reason for obesity is usually the people around in the immediate vicinity.

But obesity is an epidemic, and a modern age development, so the answers may be global. Here is my take, I wonder about yours. Modern life is defined usually by its economic productivity. On the personal level, this means the difference between shareholder expectations and related personal achievement for that. (That is achievement minus expectation.) This difference is always negative, otherwise the shareholders leave unutilized production capacity on the table, missing out at parts of their profits.

As a result, a modern person is in a continuous catch up race. The modern person must continuously invest into herself by buying products that speed up her ability to catch up with the shareholder expectations. These products must also reflect her sense of status, which is the outwardly manifestation of aiming at that negative gap above. This means the maximization of personal credit utilization such as mainly in cars and property.

Like an addict, who can't catch up with the continuous negative gap between the demands of her addiction and her personal achievement in servicing that addiction, an obese person can't catch up with the negative gap between the demands of shareholders plus personal credit, and her personal achievement in servicing these two demands.

What kind of solutions are possible to fix this problem? Tell the obese person to forget that every day in school she was told to prepare for a productive life? Tell the obese person something about the people immediately around her? Tell the obese person about her achievements or what she should think she deserves? These trials have already failed nationally, because these are equivalent to trying to fix an addict without trying to change her drugs.

So, is there such a thing as a lost generation? Or an evil generation? Or a generation of poison? We know that there is officially a generation called the Me generation. That generation formulated itself by defining its personal decisions in order to exploit its environment. Is the key to survival for a 21st century generation then a capability to define its personal decisions in order to protect itself from its environment? Is that even feasible?

Discuss.
Obesity is a combo of (1) an eating disorder and (2) a lack of exercise.

If you starve yourself with small portions and exercise every day, resting only on Sundays, you won't be obese.

But very few people actually have that kind of self discipline.

Former athletes and former military most often do.

But not very often for sedentary civilians.

Combine this problem with easy access to oily fried fast foods, and you get a major problem world wide.

Last edited:
1. Stop drinking soda.
2. Stop eating bread.

There is nothing wrong with bread.

There is nothing worse than sugar and oils/fats though.

So you are 2/3rds correct and 1/3rd incorrect.

Don't forget exercise.

Don't forget vegetables.

Now this is a god one for real, "if it doesn't go in the eating hole you won't be a fat ass". It appears that there is a lot of work needed to make it avoid the eating hole.
Eat smaller portions. Save the rest for tomorrow in the fridge.

Ever watch "My 600 lb Llife"? These people, just like the hoarding people, have deep emotional/mental issues that they can't face/handle. They eat/hoard to help themselves cope. Unless they are willing to address their issues they will eat themselves into an early grave and have a miserable life getting there.

You can cut out whatever you want from your diet, it doesn't really matter. Consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. Denying yourself bread, sweets, booze ... you'll only crave it more if you "can't have it". Moderation and portion control is key.

I get up early every day and work.

Then I eat my biggest lean meal at noon, with coffee and tea after lunch to keep me alert all afternoon long. I usually skip breakfast because I am never hungry until about lunch. My dinners are usually just a sandwich or soup or a salad.

Then I go home and jump into my workout clothes.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are jogging days for me with pushups, situps, and pullups afterwards. I log my run times and distances and my exercise rep's.

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are weight lifting days, with kickboxing and boxing on a big bag in the gym. I use a log for weightlifting too.

On Saturdays and Sundays I starve myself with only one meal on each of those days since I don't need to work so I don't need to think. Thinking requires food. Exercising does not. So avoiding foods on weekends when not working is a little added bonus for weight control.

Sundays is my day for rest and church in the early mornings. It is also a good day to swim and/or stretch.

Since I am former military I am used to exercising every day. They taught us this in basic training, aka boot camp. I even sing the old marching and running songs I learned back then when I jog now. "Up in the morning to the rising sun, gonna run all day til the day is done ... ."

Unless you are former military or a former athlete I do not expect someone to be as disciplined with exercise.

And MOVE. Get off your butt and go walk that dog, go lift some weights, try yoga, try everything .... just move.
Jogging with your dog is a great idea.

The dog will run your azz off.

A dog can trot and easily keep up with a human jogging full stride.

Ever watch "My 600 lb Llife"? These people, just like the hoarding people, have deep emotional/mental issues that they can't face/handle. They eat/hoard to help themselves cope. Unless they are willing to address their issues they will eat themselves into an early grave and have a miserable life getting there.

You can cut out whatever you want from your diet, it doesn't really matter. Consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. Denying yourself bread, sweets, booze ... you'll only crave it more if you "can't have it". Moderation and portion control is key.
Interesting ... when food becomes a drug ... .

1. Stop drinking soda.
2. Stop eating bread.

There is nothing wrong with bread.

There is nothing worse than sugar and oils/fats though.

So you are 2/3rds correct and 1/3rd incorrect.

Don't forget exercise.

Don't forget vegetables.

Bread is poison to a heavy person.
Certain oils are healthy (Olive oil for one)
The body needs fats. The fat in Coconut oil is healthy and helps maintain a healthy weight.

It is interesting, that weight loss programs usually include a sort of rebellion meals. I think this means that the obese psychology finds achievement in eating what you should not eat, even though it is not about another person but yourself in your own body. Very puzzling.

Forum List

Back