A New Year's Challenge......Come on, let's do this one!~

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
This coming year, I plan to save every receipt I get so I can calculate exactly how much taxes I have paid for 2012. I challenge you to do the same. I think it would be interesting to come up with the percentages. I am fairly certain that I pay over 50% by the time you throw in sales tax, etc. I think the results would be staggering for us all.

Too much trouble.

And besides, knowing how much you pay is not going to get you out of paying it.

So what's the point, it is what it is.

Too much trouble.

And besides, knowing how much you pay is not going to get you out of paying it.

So what's the point, it is what it is.

But I can be more specific in my complaints. I have lain back a supply of hat boxes to put all my receipts in. I just really want to know what my tax to income ration really is.

I may try this one too... an Excel spreadsheet to tabulate it each day would make it an easier task.

For the record, I bet its over 50%.

It is easier to just make a spreadsheet and enter what you spend and taxes every day and let it do the work for you. I keep track of all my finances on a spreadsheet and if I wanted to include sales tax all I need to do is include another column.

I am sure there are software products that would do the same thing for you too. Just think of all the work it will take to calculate every receipt of every purchase. And what are you going to do with on line purchases?

Last edited:
This coming year, I plan to save every receipt I get so I can calculate exactly how much taxes I have paid for 2012. I challenge you to do the same. I think it would be interesting to come up with the percentages. I am fairly certain that I pay over 50% by the time you throw in sales tax, etc. I think the results would be staggering for us all.

And then what? Figure what a consuption tax would be in actuality? Good idea. Figure a month then use those figures and a few special items like christmas and vaction then give us an estimate, you can do that now.
Microsoft Money will do it I bet.

Last edited:
It is easier to just make a spreadsheet and enter what you spend and taxes every day and let it do the work for you. I keep track of all my finances on a spreadsheet and if I wanted to include sales tax all I need to do is include another column.

I am sure there are software products that would do the same thing for you too. Just think of all the work it will take to calculate every receipt of every purchase. And what are you going to do with on line purchases?

Well, of course, I will use some kind of spreadsheet, but most of my purchases come with a receipt. Online purchases show the tax added on the receipt.

Well, of course, I will use some kind of spreadsheet, but most of my purchases come with a receipt. Online purchases show the tax added on the receipt.

Whats the sales tax rate in your state? Here in Indiana it is 7%.

After that the question will be...
But did you pay "your fair share"?
That's the question the Libs will ask.
It's all about paying your fair share
You may find that you are close to 60%
when all is said and done and the Debbie Wasserman Schultz's
of the world will just look at your total and just frown with displeasure. :(

Forum List

Back