A New Use for Chapstick

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Our 10- year-old cat Jack recently died. He was a great cat. The kids would carry him around and sit on him. Nothing bothered him. He hung out and napped all day on a mat in our bathroom.

Last Mother's Day, we were having the typical rush trying to get ready for Church. The boys were fighting over the toy in the cereal box. I was trying to nurse the baby while putting on my make-up. Everything was a mess, and everyone has long forgotten that this is a wonderful day to honor me and the amazing job that is motherhood.

As we were loading up the car to drive to church, our three-year-old Eli was no where to be found. I checked the bathroom, and there he was. He was applying my chapstick very carefully to Jack's rear end. Eli looked right into my eyes and said "chapped". If you have a cat, you know that he is right; their little butts do look pretty chapped. And Jack didn't seem to mind at all.

The only question to really ask at this point is whether it was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cat's behind or the hundredth. And I decided I really didn't want to know...

And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment because it reminds us that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little creatures, there will always be that day when you realize they've been using your chapstick on the cat's butt.

Forum List

Back