A new system, 6 votes each.

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election - Yahoo! News

This is retarded. First off if they give EVERYONE 6 votes a piece does that not defeat the very concept of somehow the Hispanics can not elect someone?

Secondly if the Hispanics have such a large number of eligible voters unless it can be shown in court the city is doing something to suppress those votes how is it even the business of the Federal Government?

Looney toons indeed.

You get to vote 25 times for the Baseball All-Star Game...plus you can use multiple email accounts and get 25 votes with each.

And certainly the Baseball All-Star Game is far more important than the Port Chester Village Board of Trustees.

I would guess voter turnout declines. You have to do six times the work.

So the first person to get 36 votes wins? Just bus ACORN registered Latinos in from the Bronx on election day .

Six votes?

1. Me
2. Myself
3. I
4. My feminine side.
5. My masculine side.
6. Second guessing yourself?

Sounds like another official giving America away, why is this judge still employed?

You get to vote 25 times for the Baseball All-Star Game...plus you can use multiple email accounts and get 25 votes with each.

And certainly the Baseball All-Star Game is far more important than the Port Chester Village Board of Trustees.

That's it, equate baseball with holding public office. :cuckoo:

Furano cast multiple votes on the instructions of a federal judge and the U.S. Department of Justice as part of a new election system crafted to help boost Hispanic representation.
Am I the only one that sees exactly how convoluted this is. THEY ARE PASSING LAWS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO INCREASE ONE GROUPS VOTING POWER!!!! I cannot even begin to explain how truly wrong it is to go into voter law with this type of outlook.

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. -- The court-ordered election that allowed residents of one New York town to flip the lever six times for one candidate - and produced a Hispanic winner - could expand to other towns where minorities complain their voices aren't being heard. The 2010 Census is expected to show large increases in Latino populations and lawsuits alleging discrimination are likely to increase, said Rob Richie, executive director of FairVote, a nonprofit election research and reform group.

"The country's been changing in a lot of places, with minority growth in exurbs and commuter cities, and there will be a realization that those minorities can't elect candidates of choice," Richie said.

"We put so much emphasis on education - we may have spent $100 a voter - because we knew it would be critical to success," said village spokesman Aldo Vitagliano. "We also know that the next community can point to Port Chester and say `That's how it's done.'"
Vote system that elected NY Hispanic could expand

Well it worked. At only $100 a vote! Coming soon to a town near you?

REPEAT: Everybody gets 6 votes. Not just Hispanics.

It was kind of weird at first, I didn't quite get it, but I guess it makes some sense. The idea is that if there's say, 6 people running, and 5 are white and 1 is hispanic, most hispanics are gonna give their 6 to the hispanic guy, but white voters might give you know, three and three to 2 white guys. Or something like that.

I mean, I think it's kind of silly. I don't see it working out in practice for THAT particular purpose. But I do like the idea. I think it shakes stuff up. Kind of like that other voting system (forgot the name, too lazy to look it up) where you rank all the candidates in order of preference, and so each ballot gives like a certain amount of "points" or something... they do it in Australia, I think? It'd be really cool to see how different systems like that would change big electoral races in different places. You'd imagine that a lot of undecideds would just end up giving three to the Democrat and three to the Republican, hahaha. But hey, maybe someone would be like "Well, I only kind of like Obama better, but I don't mind McCain so I'll split it 4-2" oIAHSdpoAsi. It'd probably work better in a multiparty system though.

Well, funny idea, dunno how it'll work.

Forum List

Back