A new low for humanity

The day after my father in law died ny huband got a security company to put in an alarm at their house. He said there are criminals that read obits and then rob elderly widows. That had never occurred to me, but apparently its quite common in some neighborhoods. Despicable.

Last edited:
San Mateo police arrested True after pulling her over for a routine traffic stop on South Delaware Street at Concar Drive about 4 p.m. Tuesday. An officer found she had a suspended license, and when police searched her and her car, they discovered a credit card belonging to Susan Maloney, 42, said police Capt. Kevin Raffaelli.

Further checking revealed that jewelry and a Blu-ray disc player in True's car also belonged to Susan and John Maloney, 45, Sackett said. Shortly after True was arrested, San Mateo County sheriff's deputies drove to a home she shares with her uncle on rural Marine Road off Skyline Boulevard just south of Highway 92.

No one was there, but when deputies returned at 9 p.m., they found the Maloneys' stolen Nissan outside, said acting sheriff's Lt. Wes Matsuura.

Investigators stopped Gutierrez when he left the home at about 9:40 p.m. in the car, Matsuura said.

Police believe that most, if not all, of the items taken from the Maloneys' home have been recovered, Sackett said.

True and Gutierrez were each arrested on suspicion of burglary and vehicle theft. They are being held at Sonoma County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bail and are expected to appear in court Thursday.

Two held in burglary of dead family's home

These people are pretty disgusting and creepy but by no means represent humanity by and large. I still look around for those random acts of kindness, especially this time of year.

It seems like divine intervention did those two cretins in, huh?

After John and Susan Maloney and their two young children died in a crash on Highway 37, news crews flocked to their street in Sonoma. A memorial of flowers sprung up on their doorstep, and pictures of their three-bedroom home were featured on TV.

Among those who followed the story, authorities believe, were a Redwood City man with a history of grand theft and his girlfriend.

Smelling opportunity, the couple drove 70 miles to Sonoma, broke into the dead family's empty house, ransacked it of jewelry, electronics and financial records and drove off in the Maloneys' 2006 Nissan 350Z, police said Wednesday.

Michael Vincent Gutierrez, 26, and his girlfriend, Amber Marie True, 29, were arrested Tuesday, just hours after a neighbor discovered the garage door to the Maloneys' home wide open.

Inside, the house was a mess. "Drawers had been opened and turned over. Bookcases had been turned over, things had been pulled off walls," Sonoma Police Chief Bret Sackett said. "Doors had been kicked in."

The burglars even rifled through rooms belonging to the Maloneys' children, Aiden, 8, and 5-year-old Gracie, who died with their parents when a speeding teenager ran a red light and broadsided their minivan Saturday night.

Two held in burglary of dead family's home

Not that new, 20 years ago I had an elderly aunt that died, somebody broke into her apartment and robbed it after the word got out about her death.

The day after my father in law died ny huband got a security company to put in an alarm at their house. He said there are criminals that read obits and then rob elderly widows. That had never occurred to me, but apparently its quite common in some neighborhoods. Despicable.

Yes...these kinds of people do read the obit pages and hit homes of relatives when they are off at funerals. It's a well known racket.

Forum List

Back