A new low for humanity

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
After John and Susan Maloney and their two young children died in a crash on Highway 37, news crews flocked to their street in Sonoma. A memorial of flowers sprung up on their doorstep, and pictures of their three-bedroom home were featured on TV.

Among those who followed the story, authorities believe, were a Redwood City man with a history of grand theft and his girlfriend.

Smelling opportunity, the couple drove 70 miles to Sonoma, broke into the dead family's empty house, ransacked it of jewelry, electronics and financial records and drove off in the Maloneys' 2006 Nissan 350Z, police said Wednesday.

Michael Vincent Gutierrez, 26, and his girlfriend, Amber Marie True, 29, were arrested Tuesday, just hours after a neighbor discovered the garage door to the Maloneys' home wide open.

Inside, the house was a mess. "Drawers had been opened and turned over. Bookcases had been turned over, things had been pulled off walls," Sonoma Police Chief Bret Sackett said. "Doors had been kicked in."

The burglars even rifled through rooms belonging to the Maloneys' children, Aiden, 8, and 5-year-old Gracie, who died with their parents when a speeding teenager ran a red light and broadsided their minivan Saturday night.

Two held in burglary of dead family's home

San Mateo police arrested True after pulling her over for a routine traffic stop on South Delaware Street at Concar Drive about 4 p.m. Tuesday. An officer found she had a suspended license, and when police searched her and her car, they discovered a credit card belonging to Susan Maloney, 42, said police Capt. Kevin Raffaelli.

Further checking revealed that jewelry and a Blu-ray disc player in True's car also belonged to Susan and John Maloney, 45, Sackett said. Shortly after True was arrested, San Mateo County sheriff's deputies drove to a home she shares with her uncle on rural Marine Road off Skyline Boulevard just south of Highway 92.

No one was there, but when deputies returned at 9 p.m., they found the Maloneys' stolen Nissan outside, said acting sheriff's Lt. Wes Matsuura.

Investigators stopped Gutierrez when he left the home at about 9:40 p.m. in the car, Matsuura said.

Police believe that most, if not all, of the items taken from the Maloneys' home have been recovered, Sackett said.

True and Gutierrez were each arrested on suspicion of burglary and vehicle theft. They are being held at Sonoma County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bail and are expected to appear in court Thursday.

You act as if this is a new thing.

Are you familiar with human history?

I'm sure there are whole flocks of people who make a living doing things like that.

My friend who spent T-day (and good grief stayed until Sunday, WHY do I end up with guests who overstay their welcome, WHY???????) was a victim of a smash and grab where his (deceased) dad's shotgun, 2 other shotguns and a variety of other stuff (I think including his laptop) were stolen in a smash & grab in Portland. He stayed at a Howard Johnson motel, took his guns up to the room for the night, then in the morning brought them down, put them in his suburban, locked it up, ran up to his room to get the rest of his shit, and in that period of time, minutes, someone bashed in the back window of his Suburban and grabbed everything they could.

He ran to the office and told the desk clerk to call 911 and report it, ran back to see what the hell was gone, and 20 minutes later another guest came up to him and told him the desk clerk hadn't called the cops.

Know why? Because she is probably a gang member and they do this shit for a living.

A big white van parked between his rig and the camera, blocking the view of the smash & grab.

I told him he was lucky they hadn't busted in his door in the middle of the night and taken them, lucky to be alive.

Besides which he's an idiot to go to Portland loaded to the brim. He went there for boat parts...he had all those weapons because the reason he overstayed his welcome at MY house is because he participated in a turkey shoot on Sunday here.

Anyway. What fuckers, to steal from the dead. I hope they enjoy their 30 days in jail.

☭proletarian☭;1772181 said:

Christmas Carol....remember the people who were looting Scrooge after he died?

But, it still is pretty pathetic display of humanity, wouldn't you say?
Chris is right, this is pretty damn low
Of course it is low. When we a society begin to breed out character and indoctrinate our children with a world view of "Me", this is the kind of incidents that arise.

But to say a new low for humanity is about a broad a brush as one can use.

Or can we say that one good deed by one person paints ALL of humanity as saintly?

After John and Susan Maloney and their two young children died in a crash on Highway 37, news crews flocked to their street in Sonoma. A memorial of flowers sprung up on their doorstep, and pictures of their three-bedroom home were featured on TV.

Among those who followed the story, authorities believe, were a Redwood City man with a history of grand theft and his girlfriend.

Smelling opportunity, the couple drove 70 miles to Sonoma, broke into the dead family's empty house, ransacked it of jewelry, electronics and financial records and drove off in the Maloneys' 2006 Nissan 350Z, police said Wednesday.

Michael Vincent Gutierrez, 26, and his girlfriend, Amber Marie True, 29, were arrested Tuesday, just hours after a neighbor discovered the garage door to the Maloneys' home wide open.

Inside, the house was a mess. "Drawers had been opened and turned over. Bookcases had been turned over, things had been pulled off walls," Sonoma Police Chief Bret Sackett said. "Doors had been kicked in."

The burglars even rifled through rooms belonging to the Maloneys' children, Aiden, 8, and 5-year-old Gracie, who died with their parents when a speeding teenager ran a red light and broadsided their minivan Saturday night.

How completely and thoroughly disgusting! I hope the DA throws the book at these cretins....and that they spend a long, long, long time in prison paying for their disgusting display of indecent behavior.

They make me sick. :evil:

They won't.

But they'll probably get more lengthy sentences than meth heads who kill their babies do.

The addict may loathe and despise himself and feel deeply ashamed of what he does, but he will push all that to the back of his mind and look to his own interests which is getting his next fix of whatever. And while we are all repulsed be those who ravage the dead, I don't know that it is a new low for humanity. Worse are those who intentionally torture, maim, terrorize, or brutalize the living whether human or other creatures, and it seems their numbers are growing.

Um sorry given human history this barely rates a mention. Hitler gassing 12 million people is low, Stalin killing another 26 mill in his various purges of anyone whom he felt threaten by is even lower, lowest would be Chairman Mao's 50+ million. That's sorry alright but a knew low it isn't.

Oh and by the time the government gets through with these people's assets Guiterrez and true will seem almost benign.

Last edited:
I think I would agree with you but I'm not sure what you're saying. Have you been partaking of the grape?

But, it still is pretty pathetic display of humanity, wouldn't you say?
Chris is right, this is pretty damn low

No, it is not a pathetic display of humanity. It is a pathetic display of what some humans will do. Billions of people did not break into the home of a dead family.

Forum List

Back