A New Constitution?

Smash_Hits

STEELY DAN !
Apr 27, 2011
I think it's time we write a new constitution for the USA. Our old one is outdated, and doesn't really apply to our times now. What are your thoughts?

The one we have is just fine. An incredible document written by men the caliber of which don't exist any longer. What we have is perfect, don't mess with it.

I agree that we ought to have a new Constitution. I suggest that it be written by those willing to take up arms and overthrow the existing, corrupt government.

I think it's time we write a new constitution for the USA. Our old one is outdated, and doesn't really apply to our times now. What are your thoughts?

Actually it’s more applicable today than it ever was.

And as the courts continue to remove the dross and debris of ignorance and intolerance from the Constitutional edifice, we realize a more comprehensive understanding of the genius of the Founding Document:

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, Lawrence v Texas (2003)

The best is yet to come.

OH BOY!! THIS will be a fun thread!

I'm waiting for someone to strike down the right to free speech, assembly and the right to vote for certain people of a certain background.

Counting down to the first post that does that in ten, nine, eight, seven.....:clap2:

I'm not for any of that; I am for a clear definition of when our troops can be put into harm's way, expanding election day to election week (or weeks) so that any troubles at the polls are able to be addressed while the elections are still going, the size of the federal budget relative to GDP, making campaign advertising for federal office free of charge to those running to get money out of politics (somewhat)... Big ideals.

I, personally, also would like to see rules written into the document that would do certain things like ensuring a minimum of 6 Presidential debates between all candidates who receive a certain modicum of support--not just democrats and republicans. Two each on Foreign Policy, Domestic Policy, and Domestic Spending. Each series of two debates will have the first one be a standard debate where large circulation media asks questions of the candidates; the second is where each one will ask a question of the others on stage.

I'm waiting for someone to strike down the right to free speech, assembly and the right to vote for certain people of a certain background.

Counting down to the first post that does that in ten, nine, eight, seven.....:clap2:

I'm not for any of that; I am for a clear definition of when our troops can be put into harm's way, expanding election day to election week (or weeks) so that any troubles at the polls are able to be addressed while the elections are still going, the size of the federal budget relative to GDP, making campaign advertising for federal office free of charge to those running to get money out of politics (somewhat)... Big ideals.

I, personally, also would like to see rules written into the document that would do certain things like ensuring a minimum of 6 Presidential debates between all candidates who receive a certain modicum of support--not just democrats and republicans. Two each on Foreign Policy, Domestic Policy, and Domestic Spending. Each series of two debates will have the first one be a standard debate where large circulation media asks questions of the candidates; the second is where each one will ask a question of the others on stage.

The ambiguity of the constitution is part of its strength. You are asking for a strict written set of rules/laws that leave no room to grow or for emergencies/disasters.

I'm thinking that you are an idiot. Just WHO would you trust to write a "new" Constitution? The "people" would have very little input. If you trust the corporations that control the media to write it then I'm sure you would be pleased with the results. Me...That's about all the motivation I would need to turn into a "freedom fighter" and start taking out people. Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.

Rewrite the constitution? No way shape or form. Follow the constitution is more the ticket.

It's not perfect and there are some minor changes that might be needed, but on a scale of 1 to 100 I'd give it at least a 97.

We can change our constitution, it is not an easy process, and it was designed that way. That is one of the greatest things about it.

Rewrite the constitution? No way shape or form. Follow the constitution is more the ticket.

It's not perfect and there are some minor changes that might be needed, but on a scale of 1 to 100 I'd give it at least a 97.

We can change our constitution, it is not an easy process, and it was designed that way. That is one of the greatest things about it.

That is exactly why the Framers added the amendment process...to keep pace with the times and there have been 27 added in this date and time! :eusa_whistle:

The ambiguity of the constitution is part of its strength. You are asking for a strict written set of rules/laws that leave no room to grow or for emergencies/disasters.

You can write stuff like that into it; For example, the federal budget cannot exceed X percentage of GDP unless there is a declaration of war or disaster. Its not that hard.

The ambiguity was part of the strength; you're right about that. And it could be once more if the best interests of the country were still put above politics. Politics now rules the day in Washington. I think it always has but there was a time that when push came to shove, they did what was right. Those days are over. Lyndon Johnson famously commented that the CRA of 1964 would mean losing the south. He did it anyway. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see that sort of risk any longer.

Right now, the budget can be any sort of irresponsible number. Whether or not someone spends 2 billion or 25 billion on campaigns is totally up to them and their banker. Nothing prevents--in the Constitution--the Supreme Court from being expanded to twice it's size...or 5 times its size. I think we can all agree that 9 works well--why not write that in?

Theres no guarantee to privacy in the Constitution; if the government wanted to subpoena your Netflix que...it could. No problemo. What about your voting record? Nothing in the document prevents it.

I doubt if smash is serious but I bet the topic comes up in a lot of liberal cocktail parties. God help this Country if we ever consider such a thing.

I disagree; the practitioners of government (politicians if you will) were once public spirited and placed that spirit above politics. That spirit is dead. So every loophole is exploited.

I disagree; the practitioners of government (politicians if you will) were once public spirited and placed that spirit above politics. That spirit is dead. So every loophole is exploited.

While I totally agree with your statement...the problem isn't the Constitution...it's the politicians that need changing.

Forum List

Back