A Neglected Duty

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
This Charles Spurgeon sermon expounds on the duty of the Christian to rebuke sin, confront those who have fallen into it and warn them that if they do not repent they will be destroyed. Remaining silent is not an option for the follower of Jesus.

Open rebuke is better than secret love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Proverbs 27:5-7
scold.gif

The Word of God is very plain as to the duty of rebuking sin, although, from the neglect into which the work has fallen, one might have imagined that it was left optional, or allowed, rather than commanded.

It is a most weighty observation that, according to God's law, silence concerning sin is consent to it. "And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it; if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity" (Leviticus 5:1).

Trapp has pithily said, "By ill silence to leave men in sin is as bad as by ill speech to draw them to sin. Not to do good, saith our Savior, is to do evil, and not to save is to destroy" "And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill?" (Mark 3:4).

To leave others in their sins unreproved is to be "partakers of other men's sins." Paul teaches us this when he writes, "Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them"—as much as to say, if you do not reprove them, you have fellowship with them. If I see a thief breaking into a house, and give no alarm, am I not, by my silence, an accessory to the act?

Without the aid of my silence the burglar could not perpetrate the robbery; if I lend him that assistance, am I not, morally, his accomplice? The same holds good in all cases; but we are not left merely to infer the fact, for the Lord has told us by the mouth of his prophet Ezekiel, "If thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand."

The ruin and sin of others we shall surely partake in if they perish through want of our admonition. Eli must break his neck for very grief when his sons are cut off in their sin; it was not meet that he should outlive those whom he had not endeavored to preserve from ruin by timely rebuke: had he made their ears to tingle with his upbraidings, his ears might never have tingled with the news of the terrible judgments of God.

How few Christians will be able to say with Paul, "I am pure from the blood of all men"?—none of us can be in that happy case if we neglect the duty of warning our neighbors for their good. It is to be feared that in this matter we have superabundant reason for using Archbishop Usher's dying prayer, "Lord, in special, forgive me my sins of OMISSION."

A Neglected Duty

Maybe, but eventually people get sick of being preached to and moralized against by a bunch of busybodies more concerned with the mote in their neighbor's eye than the plank in their own. When Christians get that sin no more thing down pat then they can tell everyone else how to live their lives.

I consider it my duty to rebuke my children, since I am responsible for raising them, but I do not believe I have a duty to rebuke other people.

To leave others in their sins unreproved is to be "partakers of other men's sins." Paul teaches us this when he writes, "Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them"—as much as to say, if you do not reprove them, you have fellowship with them. If I see a thief breaking into a house, and give no alarm, am I not, by my silence, an accessory to the act?
- Charles Spurgeon

I'm not a cop, it's not my job to keep track of what other people are doing and try to stop them.

I consider it my duty to rebuke my children, since I am responsible for raising them, but I do not believe I have a duty to rebuke other people.
You are following the Old Testament, are you Jewish? Or are you a Christian and follow what Christ spoke of when judging people and their sins?

If I see a thief breaking into a house, and give no alarm, am I not, by my silence, an accessory to the act?

There is a difference between not reporting a crime and letting people live their own lives as they see fit. If I "sin" (excluding murder, rape, physical assault, and/or property crimes) who is hurt? So long as everyone involved with my sin is a consenting adult, then whatever harm comes out of it is between me and God, especially when the "sin" is something like heavy metal music or Pokémon or wearing yellow socks (see the Puritans for that one). Those aren't sins, just things you don't like, but you twist and turn and do mental gymnastics to pretend they are sins.

Forum List

Back