A Navy Sailor on a rooftop in the desert?

I have no problem with individual Seals or the Navy Seal concept which is to engage in small maritime operations. Rescuing Capt. Phillips is a perfect example of the expert execution of Seal training. I can't get around the fact that the greatest Military in the world had to reach out to the Navy to find a sniper for a mission in the desert. Marcus Luttrell remarks in his book "I had to ask myself what Navy Seals were doing at 10,000 feet in the Afghanistan mountains". Damn good question Luttrell's book, "Lone Survivor" is a remarkable book about personal survival after a combat mission failed and the hastily cobbled rescue mission was destroyed. The movie had it's inaccuracies but if you were paying attention it showed two different Military branches with their own support and supply logistics trying to do the same job independently of each other. What was the Pentagon trying to accomplish? Did the mission in Afghanistan deteriorate into political hype by pretending that Seals were some kind of supermen? Obviously they weren't and their leadership seemed (according to Luttrell) ill equipped to support the Troops in the field. What was the rescue plan? Jump on helicopters and hope for the best?

Following this logic the Marines shouldn't operate outside a coastal area. If they want to move inland the Army should take over because the apparent jurisdictional issues.
The mission of the Marine corps has been well established for two hundred years. Marines have several infantry divisions and an air wing. Seals put out a couple of graduation classes a year who are skilled in the same basic UDT that was taught back in WW2. The Seal mission is restricted by their numbers to small scale maritime operations. I'm surprised that someone who uses Chesty Puller for an icon wouldn't understand the concept.

I have no problem with individual Seals or the Navy Seal concept which is to engage in small maritime operations. Rescuing Capt. Phillips is a perfect example of the expert execution of Seal training. I can't get around the fact that the greatest Military in the world had to reach out to the Navy to find a sniper for a mission in the desert. Marcus Luttrell remarks in his book "I had to ask myself what Navy Seals were doing at 10,000 feet in the Afghanistan mountains". Damn good question Luttrell's book, "Lone Survivor" is a remarkable book about personal survival after a combat mission failed and the hastily cobbled rescue mission was destroyed. The movie had it's inaccuracies but if you were paying attention it showed two different Military branches with their own support and supply logistics trying to do the same job independently of each other. What was the Pentagon trying to accomplish? Did the mission in Afghanistan deteriorate into political hype by pretending that Seals were some kind of supermen? Obviously they weren't and their leadership seemed (according to Luttrell) ill equipped to support the Troops in the field. What was the rescue plan? Jump on helicopters and hope for the best?

Following this logic the Marines shouldn't operate outside a coastal area. If they want to move inland the Army should take over because the apparent jurisdictional issues.
The mission of the Marine corps has been well established for two hundred years. Marines have several infantry divisions and an air wing. Seals put out a couple of graduation classes a year who are skilled in the same basic UDT that was taught back in WW2. The Seal mission is restricted by their numbers to small scale maritime operations. I'm surprised that someone who uses Chesty Puller for an icon wouldn't understand the concept.

And what is the mission of the Marine Corps? Do you know?

Almost sounds like there is jealousy as the Navy is considered the "sexiest" service. How many Army/Marine/Air Force movies made as much as "An Officer and a Gentleman", "Top Gun" or the one about Chris Kyle? I guess you got "Black Hawk Down" for the Army. Which was a failed mission.

Forum List

Back