A Muslim Brit nails it again on the New Zealand attack

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I quote Maajid Nawaz regularly here. He is the liberal Muslim Brit who coined the term "Regressive Left", horrified by the way many on the Left make a bad situation worse by coddling the worst elements of Islam in the West. Mr. Nawaz can see both sides of this issue. I know being able to see both sides of an issue is not considered a good thing here.

He risks his life every day, pushing for reform of his beloved religion. He was assaulted, again, just the other day (I suspect he'll be attacked here, too - that's how they operate). Here's his take on the predictable madness that has followed the New Zealand attack.

The New Zealand Mosque Massacre Blame Game Is Out of Control

LONDON—The anti-Muslim terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand marked perhaps the lowest point for Muslim communities in the West since the Bosnia genocide. It has left no doubt that far-right extremism is on the march once more.

But the sheer human tragedy of this attack against my Muslim communities has not deterred extremists from those other two ends of our political spectrum, the far left and the theocratic Islamists, from seeking to exploit it for their own nefarious purposes.

So it is with no surprise that I noticed, a mere day after 50 of my fellow Muslims were so publicly and tragically killed, while the blood was still wet and the bodies remained unburied, that the ideologues had circled like vultures. Opportunistic Islamist and far-left extremists began calling for a purge of people whose politics they disagree with, and started publishing McCarthyite lists of personae non grata to target. Few have come under fiercer assault than my friend and collaborator in dialogue, Sam Harris. The following spectacle has been incredibly unedifying.

Of course, inflammatory anti-Muslim language must be condemned by us all, and many anti-Muslim provocateurs should take a hard look at themselves after New Zealand, just as we must condemn inflammatory Islamist and far-left language. That is different, though, from trying to silence an entire policy concern like Western foreign policy or opposing immigration and critiquing Islam respectively. Only the extremists wish to shut down debate. And so it is crucial that we do not respond to far-right extremism in such a way that we inadvertently empower extremists from other ends of the political spectrum. Terrorists prefer the bullet to the ballot. Let us not become pawns in their game.

I quote Maajid Nawaz regularly here. He is the liberal Muslim Brit who coined the term "Regressive Left", horrified by the way many on the Left make a bad situation worse by coddling the worst elements of Islam in the West. Mr. Nawaz can see both sides of this issue. I know being able to see both sides of an issue is not considered a good thing here.

He risks his life every day, pushing for reform of his beloved religion. He was assaulted, again, just the other day (I suspect he'll be attacked here, too - that's how they operate). Here's his take on the predictable madness that has followed the New Zealand attack.

LONDON—The anti-Muslim terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand marked perhaps the lowest point for Muslim communities in the West since the Bosnia genocide. It has left no doubt that far-right extremism is on the march once more.

But the sheer human tragedy of this attack against my Muslim communities has not deterred extremists from those other two ends of our political spectrum, the far left and the theocratic Islamists, from seeking to exploit it for their own nefarious purposes.

So it is with no surprise that I noticed, a mere day after 50 of my fellow Muslims were so publicly and tragically killed, while the blood was still wet and the bodies remained unburied, that the ideologues had circled like vultures. Opportunistic Islamist and far-left extremists began calling for a purge of people whose politics they disagree with, and started publishing McCarthyite lists of personae non grata to target. Few have come under fiercer assault than my friend and collaborator in dialogue, Sam Harris. The following spectacle has been incredibly unedifying.

Of course, inflammatory anti-Muslim language must be condemned by us all, and many anti-Muslim provocateurs should take a hard look at themselves after New Zealand, just as we must condemn inflammatory Islamist and far-left language. That is different, though, from trying to silence an entire policy concern like Western foreign policy or opposing immigration and critiquing Islam respectively. Only the extremists wish to shut down debate. And so it is crucial that we do not respond to far-right extremism in such a way that we inadvertently empower extremists from other ends of the political spectrum. Terrorists prefer the bullet to the ballot. Let us not become pawns in their game.

Being able to see both sides doesn't mean you can't have an opinion.
I don't like seeing anyone attacking innocent Muslims....but I also cannot handle the whining Muslims who feel they were personally attacked when they live 8000 miles away from the attack, and try to use this typically Islamic martyrdom complex to claim the right to attack others.

Apparently, 350 people in New Zealand converted to Islam the day after the shooting.

I'm guessing this wasn't the reaction the shooter was intending.

I don't like seeing anyone attacking innocent Muslims....but I also cannot handle the whining Muslims who feel they were personally attacked when they live 8000 miles away from the attack, and try to use this typically Islamic martyrdom complex to claim the right to attack others.
Agreed, and those of us who can see both sides form our opinions from that perspective.

In this case, as with so many others, those who are choosing to go through life with just one eye open are making things worse.

We do not need to stop, till they have renounced their cult or left my country. Jihadists are the snakes, and the Good muslims are the grass that hides them...all are complicit. Never forget that. One blade of grass stands up and is calling for all the rest of the world to forgive them all. Well, I'll tell you, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. As long as one person remembers 9/11, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Don't like it, I just don't care. They WANT you to put your guard down, get it?

We do not need to stop, till they have renounced their cult or left my country. Jihadists are the snakes, and the Good muslims are the grass that hides them...all are complicit. Never forget that. One blade of grass stands up and is calling for all the rest of the world to forgive them all. Well, I'll tell you, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. As long as one person remembers 9/11, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Don't like it, I just don't care.
Mr. Nawaz and others are fighting for a Reformation of their religion. The problem is that the hate is coming in so hard from both ends of the spectrum that they're being drowned out. As long as people keep screaming and not communicating, nothing will improve.

I wonder if people realize that their rhetoric is exactly the same as that used by Jew haters for centuries ... with a different noun.

I wonder if people realize that their rhetoric is exactly the same as that used by Jew haters for centuries ... with a different noun.
We can't realize much when we're overcome with hatred.

I just can't buy all this Muslim hate ... because I've heard it all before and know precisely where it leads.

Agreed, and those of us who can see both sides form our opinions from that perspective.

In this case, as with so many others, those who are choosing to go through life with just one eye open are making things worse.
I have been warning people about this for a couple of years. The left is intentionally trying to piss off rightwingers causing nutjobs to react violently. Nothing can be trusted in the news these days. The attack on a New Zealand mosque is being used to change gun laws. Many radical Muslims are using this attack as an excuse to attack Israel. Fox talked about the attack nonstop for several days. I feel this only encourages copycats.

Now stories are surfacing that the so-called white supremacist really was a leftist. Nobody seems to care who he really is anymore and only repeats that he was a white supremacist who murdered 50 Muslims. His name is forgotten in the coverage. His face almost never shown.

They WANT you to put your guard down, get it? You think they are going to change? HAHAHA fools.

I have been warning people about this for a couple of years. The left is intentionally trying to piss off rightwingers causing nutjobs to react violently. Nothing can be trusted in the news these days. The attack on a New Zealand mosque is being used to change gun laws. Many radical Muslims are using this attack as an excuse to attack Israel. Fox talked about the attack nonstop for several days. I feel this only encourages copycats.

Now stories are surfacing that the so-called white supremacist really was a leftist. Nobody seems to care who he really is anymore and only repeats that he was a white supremacist who murdered 50 Muslims. His name is forgotten in the coverage. His face almost never shown.
Ideologues love to leverage "bad" news in their favor.

That's where they turn the corner from what's best for a country to what's best for their ideology.

I just can't buy all this Muslim hate ... because I've heard it all before and know precisely where it leads.

Concern is not hate.

This is concern?

Christchurch%20shooting%2020190315_resources1.jpg

Concern is not hate.
It depends on how that "concern" is expressed.

And when real hate is ignored or minimized or dismissed or justified, that makes things far worse.

Concern is not hate.

This is concern?

You cannot pull one example and broad brush it. 9/11 is concern, Orlando is concern, San Bernardino is concern, Madrid is concern, Je Suis Charlie is concern. You cannot name one mostly Islamic country that is not backward in its humanitarian, military or economic standing. There are 50+. Only one Jewish nation and that’s the safest place for a Muslim woman in the Middle East. So please STFU with your idiotic example.

Never Forget

Concern is not hate.
It depends on how that "concern" is expressed.

And when real hate is ignored or minimized or dismissed or justified, that makes things far worse.

Ignoring it is certainly not the answer

Concern is not hate.

This is concern?

You cannot pull one example and broad brush it. 9/11 is concern, Orlando is concern, San Bernardino is concern, Madrid is concern, Je Suis Charlie is concern. You cannot name one mostly Islamic country that is not backward in its humanitarian, military or economic standing. There are 50+. Only one Jewish nation and that’s the safest place for a Muslim woman in the Middle East. So please STFU with your idiotic example.

Never Forget

This isn't a Jewish vs Muslim thing. There are people out there who want it to be, but it isn't. The men women and children who died in the camps were no threat to the Germans, they were slaughtered not for the deed, but for who they were.

The men, women, and children who died in the Twin Towers were no threat to the terrorists, they were slaughtered not for their deeds, but for who they were.

The men, women, and children who died in Christchurch were no threat to their killers. They were slaughtered for who they were.

The race, color, or religion of the victim doesn't matter ... targeting innocents because of ideology is just wrong.

Forum List

Back