A Mother's Instinct

I don't know but it's a weird thing.

I remember going to Wildlife Safari (a drive-through wildlife park) with my mom, very pregnant sister-in-law, and my two very young children.

You drive through, and through, the wildlife, including lions.

Well we happened to be right behind the truck that was feeding breakfast. Lions jump up on the bed of a pickup and drag off horse carcasses.

There was one lioness that kept looking INTO the cab of the truck, and running up to it, and looking like she'd like to be in there...then she'd fight with other members of the pride, and she jumped up on the bed of the truck, then down, then back to the side window of the truck. The driver rolled his window down about one inch and used a little pop gun to discourage her.

So she turned to our car. Mom drove a little Alliance...we were pretty much right on the level of the lioness. She turned and came right up to the back window (about 3 inches), so she was looking right at my little boy who was about 18 months old.

I'll tell you something, lions in abstract are one thing, but when you're in an economy car and one with a bloody face is looking in your window at you, and you just saw the keepers themselves are intimdated by them, you notice how fragile the windows of a car are.

Anyway, mother instinct...my pregnant sister-in-law immediately grabbed my little boy and swung him across her belly to the other side. And we SPED out of there.

I remember going to Wildlife Safari (a drive-through wildlife park) with my mom, very pregnant sister-in-law, and my two very young children.

Anyway, mother instinct...my pregnant sister-in-law immediately grabbed my little boy and swung him across her belly to the other side. And we SPED out of there.

While I don't have a Uterus, I had a similar experience...and feeling.

I was at the Houston Zoo with my kids. This wasn't the first trip to the Zoo on a Saturday to Escape Delilah.

But it was the first time Lions were Roaring.

I'm not sure why they were Roaring, but I knew they were behind their cages, and that my kids and I were prefectly safe.

But, I got this sudden shot of adreniline, and every hair on my body stood on end, and I had to fight the urge to grab my kids and scamper up a tree.

I was at the Houston Zoo with my kids. This wasn't the first trip to the Zoo on a Saturday to Escape Delilah.

I'm not sure why they were Roaring, but I knew they were behind their cages, and that my kids and I were prefectly safe.

But, I got this sudden shot of adreniline, and every hair on my body stood on end, and I had to fight the urge to grab my kids and scamper up a tree.

As you scampered up the tree, would your kids be clinging to your long chest hair?

As you scampered up the tree, would your kids be clinging to your long chest hair?

Well, perhaps, but I'd think my back-hair would be more accessable:redface:

I think men have a very strong protective instinct. I've certainly seen men dive into dangerous, or perceived dangerous, situations to protect/save/defend kids, without thinking twice. And men drown every year trying to save kids who are drowning. I don't know if I could jump in water for anyone...for one thing I know I'm not a good swimmer. Hence my extreme vigilance when it comes to kids and water.

When my son was first born, anytime he made a noise I would wake right up.

I do not have the instinct to know when he has taken his diaper off while in bed and wiped it everywhere. (happened for the second time this morning :()

Why do most of us have it, but other's don't?

A Mother’s Instinct

"If there’s one part of evolutionary thinking that spells bad news for the feminist worldview, it is parental-investment theory, an idea originally proposed by Harvard professor Robert Trivers. Trivers was attempting to clarify Darwin’s theory of sexual selection, which went something like this: females of most species are more particular about their mates than males are. Females, as he put it, “invest” more than males—and that includes being cautious about their sexual partners, the fathers of their offspring. Parental—which almost always means maternal—investment governs mating and reproduction. The profound female connection to her offspring is the Rosetta stone of female sexual behavior. Just about all scientists have signed on to Trivers’s basic template that in nature, females almost always do the kids.

The notion that females are more highly invested in their children than males is being confirmed by findings in biochemistry and neuroscience, as these disciplines clarify the role of hormones—particularly testosterone and oxytocin—in sexual and reproductive behavior. Like the male sex hormone testosterone, oxytocin is produced in the hypothalamus. But in most other respects, it is the anti-testosterone. Instead of fueling aggression, it promotes attachment, reduces fear, and leads to feelings of pleasure and well-being. Testosterone appears in males at far higher levels than in females; oxytocin, on the other hand, is more prevalent in females. Women have many more oxytocin receptors in their brains than men do, and those receptors rev up during orgasm, childbirth, and breast-feeding—signaling that at a biological level, the boundaries most of us take as axiomatic between sexual pleasure, reproduction, and mothering are not all that clear."
Femina Sapiens in the Nursery
The conflict between parenting and career is hardwired in the female brain.
Femina Sapiens in the Nursery by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Autumn 2009

A Mother’s Instinct
Evolutionary fuck-ups and social problems like the devaluing of human life and declaration of anathema against personal responsibility and the glorification of selfishness.

And, as the thread about the fetus in a box and the thread about the woman who killed her baby before cutting the umbilical cord prove, some people are just pieces of shit.

Okay, now I'll go read your link :lol:

A Mother’s Instinct

"If there’s one part of evolutionary thinking that spells bad news for the feminist worldview, it is parental-investment theory, an idea originally proposed by Harvard professor Robert Trivers. Trivers was attempting to clarify Darwin’s theory of sexual selection, which went something like this: females of most species are more particular about their mates than males are. Females, as he put it, “invest” more than males—and that includes being cautious about their sexual partners, the fathers of their offspring. Parental—which almost always means maternal—investment governs mating and reproduction. The profound female connection to her offspring is the Rosetta stone of female sexual behavior. Just about all scientists have signed on to Trivers’s basic template that in nature, females almost always do the kids.

The notion that females are more highly invested in their children than males is being confirmed by findings in biochemistry and neuroscience, as these disciplines clarify the role of hormones—particularly testosterone and oxytocin—in sexual and reproductive behavior. Like the male sex hormone testosterone, oxytocin is produced in the hypothalamus. But in most other respects, it is the anti-testosterone. Instead of fueling aggression, it promotes attachment, reduces fear, and leads to feelings of pleasure and well-being. Testosterone appears in males at far higher levels than in females; oxytocin, on the other hand, is more prevalent in females. Women have many more oxytocin receptors in their brains than men do, and those receptors rev up during orgasm, childbirth, and breast-feeding—signaling that at a biological level, the boundaries most of us take as axiomatic between sexual pleasure, reproduction, and mothering are not all that clear."
Femina Sapiens in the Nursery
The conflict between parenting and career is hardwired in the female brain.
Femina Sapiens in the Nursery by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Autumn 2009

Of course we're more highly invested. For one thing, we risk our lives to bring them into the world.

The notion that females are more highly invested in their children than males is being confirmed by findings in biochemistry and neuroscience, as these disciplines clarify the role of hormones

Another Government grant for $1,000,000 to prove that men are different than wimmin.:cool:

The notion that females are more highly invested in their children than males is being confirmed by findings in biochemistry and neuroscience, as these disciplines clarify the role of hormones

Another Government grant for $1,000,000 to prove that men are different than wimmin.:cool:

OK, so you're not impressed? Not invested with new information? How about this, from the same article: social pressures may- in humans- change enzyme production!

"While biology may suggest that the human male can’t be expected to remain around for long, scientists are apt to describe the brain as chemically and neurologically predisposed to certain behaviors, and, in humans, it is a mistake to underestimate the environmental pressure of social norms. The human record suggests that social norms, especially the universal one of marriage, can reinforce fathers’ ties to their children, which in turn might even become part of the male neural architecture. Recently, neuroscientists have even discovered evidence that married men’s testosterone levels fall at the birth of their baby."

Forum List

Back