A Moment Of Truth

Not to be disrespectfull - but the vid was a little-over-the-top.

Cornball yet moving.

Thanking many of us Viet Nam era vets for our "service" is rather like thanking rape victims for the sex we donated.

The United States enlisted 8,744,000 servicemembers between 1964 and 1975.

Of those, 3,403,000 were deployed to Southeast Asia.[47] From a pool of approximately 27 million, the draft raised 2,215,000 men for military service during the Vietnam era.

It has also been credited with "encouraging" many of the 8.7 million "volunteers" to join rather than risk being drafted.

Not to be disrespectfull - but the vid was a little-over-the-top.

Cornball yet moving.

I don't see how it's cornball at all but I do agree on the moving.

I think Ollie grabbed the essence rather well.

When the young army guy comes over to the Nam vet and salutes --- that isnt cornball??

I see that all the time. Veterans are fewer these days, and much more respectful...

Thanking many of us Viet Nam era vets for our "service" is rather like thanking rape victims for the sex we donated.

Of those, 3,403,000 were deployed to Southeast Asia.[47] From a pool of approximately 27 million, the draft raised 2,215,000 men for military service during the Vietnam era.

It has also been credited with "encouraging" many of the 8.7 million "volunteers" to join rather than risk being drafted.

Happy 4th of July to you too, Editec. Are you trying for new lows? Are you that much bought and paid for? Shame on you.

Sadly, that tells it like it is.

While it would be easy for me to say thanks to those who were forced or suckered into suffering and, in all too many cases, dying in the jungles of Vietnam, what exactly would I be thanking them for? Should I be grateful for their suffering and death?

And while it would be easy to say thanks for serving in Vietnam and letting it go at that, to do so would obscure the unacceptable reality of that wasteful debacle and make it easier for the same kind of political malfeasance to recur. Better we accept that there was nothing glorious about our presence in Vietnam and promote public consciousness of that tragic fact.

To editec and MikeK: Just because you disagree with what politicians did in war does not give either of you any right, in decent society, to be disrespectful of men who did their jobs the best they knew how.

And, what exactly delineates what views are about Vietnam with views about Iraq and A-stan which would justify such lack of respect for any veteran of those wars?

There are other things I would like to say, but when it gets so low, I am remarkably restrained.

were you a contentious objector?

time for a classic....in the spirit..that is for those that get it, for those that don't, don't fucking bother....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ9b4My6NU]Reveille Patriotic American Veteran Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

were you a contentious objector?

No, he was a one-termer who hated his time in service and still has gay fantasies about Navy Chiefs.

"While it would be easy for me to say thanks to those who were forced or suckered into suffering and, in all too many cases, dying in the jungles of Vietnam, what exactly would I be thanking them for? Should I be grateful for their suffering and death?"

Absolutely, unless you are a total asshole unable to comprehend that Americans fight for Country; not any particular politics. Politics is a civilian vice as is deciding when and where the military will fight.

Drafted or not nobody can force anyone to fight who is unwilling to do so. If you refused to fight in Vietnam you might spend time in LBJ (Long Binh Jail) where you would have the luxury of a roof over your head and three hot meals and cot every day.

To all who served in Nam and are Vietnam era vets: thank you for doing the best you could in a very difficult time and situation.

Those who still get you mixed up with the leadership they hated; well, that's on their inability to nuance, know the difference, and respect you.

So, fuck them, and thank you!

I think many Americans have learned with the Vietnam War that to protest a war or military action they do not agree wth does not mean they have to protest the military. At least I hope we've learned that.

Happy 4th of July to you too, Editec. Are you trying for new lows? Are you that much bought and paid for? Shame on you.
Since the chosen reference for your criticism of Editec is the 4th of July I suggest you either read the book, Born On The Fourth of July, or see the movie, then write to the author, Ron Kovic, who was a Marine wounded and crippled in Vietnam, and tell him how grateful you are for his sacrifice (paralysis).

See what he has to say about it.

Forum List

Back