A modest proposal on taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kaz, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,966
    What if we taxed everyone the same? I know, the liberals are going to say low income people can't afford it. So, what if their welfare included consideration that they are paying taxes on their income? Rather then giving them low tax rates AND welfare then fighting endlessly over both, we just include their taxes in their welfare and tax them the same as everyone else? That way we eliminate the whole tax half of the battle and make it easier for us both by just fighting about how much welfare they get? Brilliant? Eh?

In this I'm not taking a position on what tax system we have. Just saying whatever it is we tax everyone the same. And I'm not taking a position on welfare, just saying whatever system it is includes consideration for their taxes.

2. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,778
    as a last resort, you could eat your children.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,966
    What has that got to do with what I said?

4. L.K.Eder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,778
    that was an allusion to swift, jonathan.

use "a modest proposal..." and you will get that.

5. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,966
    What I don't get is to be a joke about my thread, shouldn't it have to do with both Swift and my point, not just Swift?

6. L.K.Eder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,778

what can i say, i did not even read your post, just your thread title.

but now i jump-started your thread, and it will not die. maybe.

7. Ariux

Ariux BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    You want to increase the welfare payments to people who are already on welfare and you want to add to the welfare rolls low income people who currently are not on welfare. And, you want to fuck people who, in spite of low income, would never accept welfare. With your big-government, welfare state mentality, don't ever try to fool yourself into think you're a conservative. You're a fucking, worthless Liberal.

Other than taxes, is there anything else you think should be the "same" for everyone? Maybe wages? If not wages, why not? How about the price of cars? Why should some people get more welfare and government handouts than others, and don't say because they have less, else you'd just reveal yourself to be an idiot? Back to taxes, how about if everyone gets the same mortgage deduction or employee expense deduction, regardless of their actual mortgage or employee expenses?

8. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,966
    I don't think I am a conservative, I think I'm a libertarian. Actually I'm pretty sure...

I'm having a hard time with this one. Because I think government should treat everyone the same, I think private industry should? Why would I think that?

Don't cars cost the same no matter how much you earn?

I said I'm not addressing the welfare system, not that I support it. I just said welfare should include consideration for taxes rather then our fighting the battle for both welfare and taxes. I am proposing cutting the problem in half. Now we fight the battle both on welfare and taxes.

Ditto on the tax side, I said I'm not addressing the tax side, just saying that it treats everyone the same. But your point is a bad one, government should not be manipulating home prices as they do. Personally I support the Fair Tax, but that's another debate.

9. sarahgop

sarahgop Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    sounds like a good idea

10. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Sounds like a great idea. Of course we also would have to change local and state taxes to reflect a fair system of taxation, because as it stands now, the lowest income earners pay two to four times the percentage of taxes based on income as the highest income earners at the state and local levels. It would be necessary to increase taxes on the highest income earners and reduce taxes on the lowest income earners. It would mean a massive change of the way taxes are collected at the state level. So what say you?