A Modern Parable

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
A Modern Parable

A Japanese company, (Toyota), and an American company, (General Motors), decided to have a rowing race on the Potomac River in D.C. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race. On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile, in a 2K race. The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A quality assessment team made up of senior management and union rowers was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing. Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 3 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance reward incentive system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater motivation to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners, and free pens and water bottles for the rower. There was discussion of getting new oars, riggers, boats, and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses. Several new outside coaches were also hired to advise the single rower.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles, also a 2K race. Humiliated, the American management fired the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new hull design, sold the oars, and canceled all future races and capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's rowing team was out-sourced to India .

Sadly, The End.

Here's something else to think about: General Motors has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US.

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while General Motors racked up 9 billion in losses

Last edited:
But do you feel sorry for all those Japanese people that had their jobs shipped overseas?

How did they do that and still make a profit, while the American companies couldn't?

Americans are all about excesses. We need to learn to tighten our belts. We've got too many chiefs and not enough indians. Too many witches spoils the brew. There's a lot of those old sayings, and they're all true, especially about modern day Americans.

But as much as the parable speaks about the car companies, I think it also does a great job of reflecting on how our government runs things.

Last edited:
The next year the Japanese won by two miles, also a 2K race.

Do you know how many miles 2 kilometers are?

Yup. In any case, I didn't write the thing. I was sent to me in an email, so I overlook the small details. However the bigger picture was quite accurate as to how much of our modern day America is run, including our government... ESPECIALLY our government.

Last edited:
All GM plants are Union

This might answer your question.

If you have ever worked Union, than you know what I am saying. :cool:

This is also revealing of the auto company bail out. Why the bail out? To help the car companies avoid a bankruptcy and the resulting re-organization.

Result of the bail out? A re-organization BUT a re-organization that left the blood sucking unions intact.

The only difference between the successful car companies of the world and the failing companies of the world is the UAW. The bail out, designed to preserve the UAW was, therefore, designed to sustain failure.

The only goal of the bail out was to save the UAW.

All GM plants are Union

This might answer your question.

If you have ever worked Union, than you know what I am saying. :cool:

This is also revealing of the auto company bail out. Why the bail out? To help the car companies avoid a bankruptcy and the resulting re-organization.

Result of the bail out? A re-organization BUT a re-organization that left the blood sucking unions intact.

The only difference between the successful car companies of the world and the failing companies of the world is the UAW. The bail out, designed to preserve the UAW was, therefore, designed to sustain failure.

The only goal of the bail out was to save the UAW.

I'd agree with that. In fact the whole 787 billion dollar bail out was nothing more than a liberal spending orgy. It wasn't/hasn't "stimulated" anything, and it won't. It will, however, inevitably drag us further down the hole of financial ruin. Thus the parable is accurate. Our government hasn't done the right thing for decades. We need change alright, but not the kind obamalamadingdong has given us.

Dear Pale Rider,

We Japanese people thank you very very much. We have so good healthcare no unemployed and our engineers designers and other people doing very well. Thank you Pale Rider and please continue to support Japanese products. We thank you very very much.

Signed,

We doing very well Japanese people.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.

Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.

When the Japanese sell American cars, I'll buy theirs.

Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.

Didn't know you were Korean!

When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.

Quality! our Buick is number one.

Buy American and Thumbs up!
Buy American - Support Yourself – Political Pass
Thumbs up Day – Political Pass

Dear Pale Rider,

We Japanese people thank you very very much. We have so good healthcare no unemployed and our engineers designers and other people doing very well. Thank you Pale Rider and please continue to support Japanese products. We thank you very very much.

Signed,

We doing very well Japanese people.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.

Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.

When the Japanese sell American cars, I'll buy theirs.

Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.

Didn't know you were Korean!

When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.

Quality! our Buick is number one.

Buy American and Thumbs up!
Buy American - Support Yourself – Political Pass
Thumbs up Day – Political Pass

70% of all Toyota's sold in America are built in America by American workers.
Does that help you out?

Does that help you out?

Only a little, if I need a less expensive, subsidized car I may then try one, nah, sorry, no can do. But at least some Americans do OK under that model. Today with job loss and our infrastructure in need of work I try to buy American.

MadeInUSA.com - Recycle American dollars Through Patriotic Spending - Home
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made
UAW Made Products
http://shopunionmade.org/

UNION BUILT PC - CONTACT US
https://unionbuiltpc.com/netbook_ubu100.php

Does that help you out?

Only a little, if I need a less expensive, subsidized car I may then try one, nah, sorry, no can do. But at least some Americans do OK under that model. Today with job loss and our infrastructure in need of work I try to buy American.

MadeInUSA.com - Recycle American dollars Through Patriotic Spending - Home
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made
UAW Made Products
http://shopunionmade.org/

UNION BUILT PC - CONTACT US
https://unionbuiltpc.com/netbook_ubu100.php

You do realize that every time you you buy an American made product, you are depriving some third world employee his job, don't you?

Forum List

Back