A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

This is a very good video explaining the full time RVer reasoning.

Bob Wells interviewing a woman who has been living in her RV for 5 years.

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"

My parents traveled all over the United States for 20 years after retirement, their choice. My wife and I are talking about doing the same. To me, it would be a great way to retire.

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"

My parents traveled all over the United States for 20 years after retirement, their choice. My wife and I are talking about doing the same. To me, it would be a great way to retire.

My girlfriend and I are planning to do the same in 2 or 3 years. It sounds like a great retirement!

Like most things, it is more complicated than you see at first glance.

There are several different types of full-time RVers.

There are those who get a fairly large, modern RV and travel/live in it. They tend to be more affluent and usually couples. This accounts for the bulk of the Class A full timers and 5th Wheelers.

There is a subsest of the full time RVers who live in Class B or converted vans. Much less space, but much cheaper to run and easier to navigate. One common thread I have seen in van life RVer's videos and writings is the need to get rid of a lot of stuff. When you have such limited space, they find ways to utilize space. But getting rid of a lot of their "junk" is key.

I know of three people who stay in their RV Fri evening - Monday Morning, which is almost half their lives and most of their free time.
Two of them plan on living full time when they retire in a few years.
A great choice for folks who want to live in different locations for whatever time they feel like it and go somewhere else.

I know of three people who stay in their RV Fri evening - Monday Morning, which is almost half their lives and most of their free time.
A great choice for folks who want to live in different locations for whatever time they feel like it and go somewhere else.

I know 2 couples who are full-time RVers. They have talked about the season migrations. In the spring & summer they scatter all over North America. But when it starts to get cooler they migrate to the desert southwest or to Florida, to enjoy the milder weather.

We full time in a luxury motorhome. We love it. We didn’t have to. We wanted to.

This is my home on wheels.

Damn.

How much did that set you back?

Pretty soon government will have to start taxing RV square living space if this continues.

We full time in a luxury motorhome. We love it. We didn’t have to. We wanted to.

This is my home on wheels.

Damn.

How much did that set you back?

Pretty soon government will have to start taxing RV square living space if this continues.
The coach is 12 years old. We bought it about 2 years ago and paid a fraction of the cost new. RVs lose value very quickly.

Those living in RVs is still a very small segment. I doubt Uncle has any plans, but you never with those bastards.

I know 2 couples who are full-time RVers. They have talked about the season migrations. In the spring & summer they scatter all over North America. But when it starts to get cooler they migrate to the desert southwest or to Florida, to enjoy the milder weather.
We went south to Alvarado Mexico a few years ago. Southeast of Mexico City. On the coast. Went down with four other couples. Rent was $250 a month that included utilities. Got up into the 80s during the day. Prices were more then reasonable for anything we bought because there were not many Americans that stayed that far south.

We went south to Alvarado Mexico a few years ago. Southeast of Mexico City. On the coast. Went down with four other couples. Rent was $250 a month that included utilities. Got up into the 80s during the day. Prices were more then reasonable for anything we bought because there were not many Americans that stayed that far south.
We know several people who caravan in RVs into Mexico for the winter. They stay in an rv park right on the Gulf of California southwest of Hermosillo. They love it. Very inexpensive, great food, and weather. Roads aren’t so good.

Forum List

Back