A Michael Steele Breakfast

If the Tea Partiers are able to elect enough conservatives to take control of the party, and those conservatives choose competent leadership, I think the GOP will become the dominant party. And could conceivably stop the runaway train that threatens to sink us.

Sure, if they dump the cultural issues and concentrate on fiscal responsibility, good economics, and appropriate defense. The problem with the Republican Party during the Bush years was they became too heavily invested in cultural conservatism and completely threw away fiscal sanity. That is why the Yankee Republican almost became extinct. The surprise election of Scott Brown put a bit of a flicker back in their dying light.

There are plenty of people that are qualified to run for President. It's more a question of who is willing to run. Why all the feigned interest in the GOP? Pretending you might actually consider voting for a Republican?

As usual from the right....no names they are willing to stand behind

There must be somebody

I have voted for many Republicans.....Reagan, Daddy Bush
Too many to name at the state and local level

I think you're missing the point. Who the Republicans nominate doesn't really matter at this point.

They're going to win, possibly because of their merits, but certainly because THEY AREN'T THE INCUMBENT.

The right (not necessarily the Republican Party) could run a bag of rocks, and it is going to win.

There is a strong "vote the bum out" sentiment that should give the republicans a winning hand. However, there is now a Joker in the deck.....it is called "The TeaParty"

If the Republicans could run moderate candidates, who appear to be mainstream, the public would gladly vote for them in an effort to shake up Congress.

Unfortunately, the Tea Baggers have forced candidates like Sharon Angle and Rand Paul on the GOP. The press is having a field day with "Did you hear what he/she said today?"
Even worse, the TP is forcing extreme rightwing positions on the remaining candidates.

The GOP will pick up seats in November....but nowhere near what they could have won

If the Tea Partiers are able to elect enough conservatives to take control of the party, and those conservatives choose competent leadership, I think the GOP will become the dominant party. And could conceivably stop the runaway train that threatens to sink us.

Sure, if they dump the cultural issues and concentrate on fiscal responsibility, good economics, and appropriate defense. The problem with the Republican Party during the Bush years was they became too heavily invested in cultural conservatism and completely threw away fiscal sanity. That is why the Yankee Republican almost became extinct. The surprise election of Scott Brown put a bit of a flicker back in their dying light.

The Republicans are no more focused on cultural issues than the Democrats are and are less likely to attempt to legislate them. They did throw away their fiscal sanity when they had complete power as have the Democrats when they got it. And what cultural matters the GOP did get involved it impacted the fiscal part of it, just as the Democrats do, and it was that those issues were liberal or liberal lite that sunk the GOP, not anything cultural.

Well, you do have to add in the numbnuts who are partisan without a clue and the GOP does have a few of those. Not as many as the Democrats do I think, but they do have some. And those folks are susceptible to media manipulation and are therefore never reliable voters.

It is attention to the basics the people are now wanting: provide for the common defense, secure our rights, fiscal responsibility and accountbility, business friendly regulation and policy so people can get back to work. The cultural stuff will continue to be in the national psyche and part of the debate, but those issues are waaaaaaaaay down on the list of priorities for the majority of Americans right now.

Forum List

Back