A Medicare Part D horror story

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Old Texas Reb, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Old Texas Reb

Old Texas Reb Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have mild bronchiectasis (basically chronic bronchitis) and have been managing very well using an albuterol inhaler. This spring, my pulmonologist suggested that I add Spirivia to this since that medication reduces the amount of mucus the body produces. I did this and it did improve the condition quite well.

Like most of us on Part D, my main focus was on the copay. When I got my last monthly statement from United Health Care, I was shocked to see that I was only a few hundred dollars short of hitting the "donut hole" in their coverage. When you are in the donut hole, you pay 35% of the "suggested" drug cost. I only take 4 other prescription drugs that aren't that expensive. I got on the phone with them and shortly figured out the problem - Spirivia.

Coverage is figured on "total drug costs" which is the suggested drug cost that the pharmacy charges to uninsured customers. My other medications weren't that much higher than the copay but Spirivia was through the roof! The CVS price for Spirivia was $429.04 meaning my copay would go from $42 to $150 each for the rest of the year.

Luckily, there was a workaround for the situation. Atrovent (a medication similar to Sprivia) is available in liquid ampules to use in a nebulizer. A box of 50 ampules (25 day) supply costs less than $8 at CVS, the nebulizer with mask I bought for about $35 on Amazon. I'll start using this method in about 6 weeks when my Sprivia runs out.

Why the huge difference? The nurse practitioner at my doctor's office explained that the German company making Sprivia has a patent on the DELIVERY DEVICE (inhaler), not the medication. That's how they are hosing the consumer.. For your own sake, if you are on Part D, check your monthly statements carefully to make sure you don't get blindsided by an expensive medication you're taking that could be replaced with a cheaper equivalent.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,526
    Only liberal communists care about Medicare Part D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,116
    Obama should have left health care alone...he screwed it up good....

4. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,056
    Moron Part D was Bushes the donut hole closing little by little Obama.

5. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,116
    Moron...part D was working great with praise from medicare patients...until Obama fucked it all up....moronic simpleton....

6. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,056
    How did he fuck it up? You are one big fucking simpleton.
    come on boy lay out the ground work of the transition from bush to obama on Part D. You best do some research before putting pud in mouth.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,152
    But Medicare for all, right?? WOOHOO!!!

8. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,116
    He caused the cost of health insurance to triple and ran thousands of doctors into early retirement you fucking stupid freak.....He ruined what was the best healthcare system in the world and changed it into a healthcare welfare program....

9. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,056
    We were discussing Part D of Medicare, now tell me how he screwed that up? You cannot seem to stay on subject.

10. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,116
    By raising the cost of everything and placing government ordered limits on drug reimbursement....I know people that can not get the medication their doctor ordered for them due to cost and they earn too much for federal assistance...but we have always known that Obama needed the rich hated the middle class and took from them to cover the poor.....when you tinker with one end of a snake the other end will respond....too bad you and Obama are too stupid to recognize that....