A man most likely...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MaggieMae, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    To become a GOP nominee for President is Mitch Daniels, Governor of Indiana. At least at this point, he has some solid ideas sans all the rhetorical BS coming from GOP leadership for the past year and a half. Daniels doesn't appear the type to kowtow to one conservative "movement" over another. He seems to simply want to solve the problems by getting things done and is smart enough to realize that takes compromise. Imagine that.

A Republican Stimulus That Just Might Work - Newsweek

2. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    Good article Mags.

Seems the Dems must have been reading Daniels playbook especially when Ol'BO suggested quite a few of the same solutions Daniel's has.

I find it hard to believe any of the idiots he's surrounded himself with would be smart enough to even THINK these are good ideas. After all. Its not taxing the shit out of everyone.

One has to wonder if the Reps are smart enough to see the good ideas Daniels has and are smart enough to vote for them even if the Dems propose em.

I guess we'll see if the welfare of the people trumps the Party line. LOL

3. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Mitch Daniels is just another wacko faith based christian fundimentalist. He has spoken out against non believers therefore I could never support him. In fact I would do anything within my power to make sure he fails.

4. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    If Republicans plan to install a President in 2012, I would much rather see someone like Daniels in the position (regardless of his religious beliefs) than someone the Tea Partiers believe is capable.

5. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Could you expand on that? When? Where? How? Link?

6. HUGGY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    There are many links. I googled "Mitch Daniels religious?"

here's one:

Letter to Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels Concerning Atheist Bashing | Center for Inquiry

7. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    You consider that 'bashing' or 'speaking out against non-believers'? Is there anything else, or are you basing your opinion entirely on that one statement?

8. HUGGY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Indeed I am in an awkward position. Every NewGOP candidate for the last twenty years has been a product of faith based organizations. They barely if at all resemble the icons of the republican party I knew from my upbringing.

As you devoutly believe in a supreme being I am every bit as convinced there is no such entity. My fundimental beliefs are just as important to me as yours are to you. I cannot support anyone that does not respect my fundimental beliefs.

Would you support any candidate that spoke out on the stupidity of a belief in god?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    And thus the reason religion and politics don't mix well. They're like oil and water. I'd say of myself that I believe in the doctrine of Do Unto Others (espoused by most organized religions), but I'm more an agnostic than an atheist. For me, it's always been difficult to believe in a "loving" God when there is so much suffering. But nature (life) doesn't just "happen" either. So...:confused: I usually leave the subject alone, unless someone is a real jerk about it. (I once had a neighbor, a "born again" alcoholic, ask to borrow my vacuum cleaner and she didn't return it. When I finally went to her house to get it, she said it was "God's will that she have it." Seems she "learned" that it was possible to have whatever you wanted if you just asked God. Seriously?)

10. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I think he'd be good as a VP choice with Gary Johnson, haha.