A Major Earthquake in North America Imminent?

Well, his track record is pretty good. And there have also been some troubling events mid-continent. Certainly hope that he is wrong.

Sure, always, especially here on the west coast.

Volcanos too.

Of course, there is a big fudge factor in 'imminent.' Going to happen tomorrow? I would bet against. Sometime in the next 15 years, guaranteed. Where, well in the next 7 years, somewhere between San Deigo and Vancourver BC, guaranteed. Here in Portland, we may have one in the next three minutes, we many not have one for the next 30 years. The ground beneath is very much a shrodinger's box.

Yes, a major earthquake is gonna happen. The quesiton is how:

1- Obama will make a tough decision

2- Michael Moore takes up jump roping

This should be moved to Environment.

The teutonic plates that rub together during an Earthquake have to eventually effect other areas. Mexico had an Earthquake, New Zealand and now Japan. It seems that if you think about it as a square, where the quakes occured clockwise in a square starting with Mexico in the bottom right hand corner, we are next in North America. No, I am not a Scientist. Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about. Atleast I hope I don't. My guess though is that we are gonna get a huge Earthquake on the West Coast at some point in the not so distant future. ~BH

Yes, a major earthquake is gonna happen. The quesiton is how:

1- Obama will make a tough decision

2- Michael Moore takes up jump roping

voltage1.gif

The teutonic plates that rub together during an Earthquake have to eventually effect other areas. Mexico had an Earthquake, New Zealand and now Japan. It seems that if you think about it as a square, where the quakes occured clockwise in a square starting with Mexico in the bottom right hand corner, we are next in North America. No, I am not a Scientist. Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about. Atleast I hope I don't. My guess though is that we are gonna get a huge Earthquake on the West Coast at some point in the not so distant future. ~BH
One of the geologists on the board can give the exact term but quakes shift plate stresses. So far the shifts have been generally clockwise. So far so good but why the west coast instead of the Bering Sea where three plates come together I do not follow.

Sure, always, especially here on the west coast.

Volcanos too.

Of course, there is a big fudge factor in 'imminent.' Going to happen tomorrow? I would bet against. Sometime in the next 15 years, guaranteed. Where, well in the next 7 years, somewhere between San Deigo and Vancourver BC, guaranteed. Here in Portland, we may have one in the next three minutes, we many not have one for the next 30 years. The ground beneath is very much a shrodinger's box.

The military cooperation of the federal government, you are our base, all you have CATS.

One of the geologists on the board can give the exact term but quakes shift plate stresses. So far the shifts have been generally clockwise. So far so good but why the west coast instead of the Bering Sea where three plates come together I do not follow.

I don't know my friend. Like I said before, I am pretty much just forming my own opinion with absolutely no scientific data or facts to back it up. It very well could be The Bering Sea. I dunno really. I think it's coming our way at some point, and at some location near us all. Honestly, I believe it will be the West Coast. Starting From Southern California, and all the way up to Alaska. Somewhere in-between, it's gonna hit. Just my personal opinion. ~BH

The New Madrid Fault hasn't had a major quake since 1812 and that one was and est. 7.4–8.0 and lasted with after shocks for about 6 months.
This request was made Jan 20, 2011
The purpose of this Request for Information is to identify sources of supply for blankets in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations. FEMA is considering the following specifications
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...876328a0ba1485a842af1&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

Last edited:
It doesn't take a genius to look at the pattern of destructive earthquakes around the Pacific Rim known as the "ring of fire" and recognize that the west coast of the US is the one area that hasn't had a major "slip" in recent years.
It's always been just a matter of time.

Magnitite used for homing by animals not working and subsonic vibration both of which hit before the earthquake should be measurable and give some warning, how much would such a system cost and how many false alarms would be given?

On Volcanoes would drilling vents help?

Magnitite used for homing by animals not working and subsonic vibration both of which hit before the earthquake should be measurable and give some warning, how much would such a system cost and how many false alarms would be given?

On Volcanoes would drilling vents help?
Sure. If you could drill a 1/2 mile wide bore.

Attachments

• $rincon.jpg
    $rincon.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 64

Forum List

Back