A lot of people are stupid according to CNN

Nothing in the article suggested anyone was stupid. I think Mr. Fitnah chose a stupid title.

From the article:

Nearly three out of four Americans think that at least half of the money spent in the federal stimulus plan has been wasted, according to a new national poll.

Does that sound stupid to anyone? If so why?

Nothing in the article suggested anyone was stupid. I think Mr. Fitnah chose a stupid title.

From the article:

Nearly three out of four Americans think that at least half of the money spent in the federal stimulus plan has been wasted, according to a new national poll.

Its sounds stupid to me, if so many think money was wasted in some way or another to the tune of 95 %, still 42 % support the plan.
Thats why.

All I know is that I don't believe there are very many laid off office workers or grocery clerks working on all those shovel ready projects. Though locally hewre ther is a sign that cost $2500 telling us that the local Bus station parking lot was repaved using stimulus dollars.....Gotta wonder....

What does this have to do with the stimulus?

Its been a year, why don't you post actuals?

All I know is that I don't believe there are very many laid off office workers or grocery clerks working on all those shovel ready projects. Though locally hewre ther is a sign that cost $2500 telling us that the local Bus station parking lot was repaved using stimulus dollars.....Gotta wonder....

Ill bet its a real fine sign too.

Ill bet its a real fine sign too.

Fine looking sign, I would have made it for $250.

this-sign-has-sharp-edges1.jpg

From the article:

Because I can guarantee they have not followed where any of the money has been spent and that's obvious because half of it hasn't been spent AT ALL. They responded based on what someone else told them. There has been NO television network that has reported the progress of the stimulus bill (although to its credit, CNN is dedicating all week to it throughout every day). Any "news" has been negative, even on MSNBC. You can only find the facts and details online, and I've posted one source but there are several others. CNN is providing analyses of specific projects, some good and of course some stupid (which is what reporting has covered, period, so far). No wonder people are so negative.

For example, a 'stupid' example is the grant money given to South Dakota (highlighted on CNN last night) to put a new rubber flooring on a tennis court, which would result in four new employees working for two days. BUT, a story like that would have been added to the overall impression that awarding that contract was the fault of the Obama people responsible for the grants, when in fact, digging deeper, it was that specific town's selectmen who decided their stupid tennis court was the best way to spend a million dollars. The Governor even tried to intervene, but he lost and the tennis court will have a new surface by spring.

From the article:

Because I can guarantee they have not followed where any of the money has been spent and that's obvious because half of it hasn't been spent AT ALL. They responded based on what someone else told them. There has been NO television network that has reported the progress of the stimulus bill (although to its credit, CNN is dedicating all week to it throughout every day). Any "news" has been negative, even on MSNBC. You can only find the facts and details online, and I've posted one source but there are several others. CNN is providing analyses of specific projects, some good and of course some stupid (which is what reporting has covered, period, so far). No wonder people are so negative.

For example, a 'stupid' example is the grant money given to South Dakota (highlighted on CNN last night) to put a new rubber flooring on a tennis court, which would result in four new employees working for two days. BUT, a story like that would have been added to the overall impression that awarding that contract was the fault of the Obama people responsible for the grants, when in fact, digging deeper, it was that specific town's selectmen who decided their stupid tennis court was the best way to spend a million dollars. The Governor even tried to intervene, but he lost and the tennis court will have a new surface by spring.

And that is part of the stupidity of the whole Spendulus Bill. It had to be passed right now or unemployment would go above 8%. Yet so very much of it won't be spent until later this year and even as late as 2011. Damn that was so urgent and it helped so much....NOT

From the article:

And that is part of the stupidity of the whole Spendulus Bill. It had to be passed right now or unemployment would go above 8%. Yet so very much of it won't be spent until later this year and even as late as 2011. Damn that was so urgent and it helped so much....NOT

The original rationale was by giving each state x-amount of money, they knew best which projects could make the best use of it--immediately. Some did, some didn't. How would YOU have done it? Taken the time to investigate the urgent infrastructure projects of all 50 states, then analyze those, then ask for RFPs, then award the money? Cripes, we'd still be in the review stage if that were the case.

Frankly, the OA should have taken a page from Homeland Security when it tried to do the same thing once the department was established following the 9/11 attack and a great big chunk of cash was doled out to each state equally. Well of course what happened is that tiny hamlets in some of those states convinced the money handlers at the respective state capitals that they needed a new fire truck before they installed enhanced 911, for example. There was HUGE waste as a result of that giveaway because once the money exited Washington, they lost control.

The original rationale was by giving each state x-amount of money, they knew best which projects could make the best use of it--immediately. Some did, some didn't. How would YOU have done it? Taken the time to investigate the urgent infrastructure projects of all 50 states, then analyze those, then ask for RFPs, then award the money? Cripes, we'd still be in the review stage if that were the case.

Frankly, the OA should have taken a page from Homeland Security when it tried to do the same thing once the department was established following the 9/11 attack and a great big chunk of cash was doled out to each state equally. Well of course what happened is that tiny hamlets in some of those states convinced the money handlers at the respective state capitals that they needed a new fire truck before they installed enhanced 911, for example. There was HUGE waste as a result of that giveaway because once the money exited Washington, they lost control.

I wouldn't have attempted to stimulate the economy with infrastructure. But hey I'm only a dumb ass retired Sergeant.

I wouldn't have attempted to stimulate the economy with infrastructure. But hey I'm only a dumb ass retired Sergeant.

They still would have needed input from the states to analyze which infrastructure. Even the interstate system is maintained state-by-state.

The title of this thread is only one segment from the extensive REPORTING that CNN is doing all this week on the stimulus money. Their reporters have been going through the bill page-by-page and investigating the success or failure of the projects. Anyone interested in following what they're doing can find all the information, including videos, posted daily at --

The Stimulus Project

Forum List

Back