A look back at the tiny cars that once ruled the road

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
01-1953-bmw-isetta.jpg

1953 BME Isetta

Looking back? The damned things are everywhere today!

05-1998-smart-for-two.jpg

1009 Smart for Two

These things are everywhere.

There’s no way I’d ever get in one. Get in an accident and you’re a goner.

More pics and the story @ A look back at the tiny cars that once ruled the road

01-1953-bmw-isetta.jpg

1953 BME Isetta

1009 Smart for Two

/——/ The original concept was to have a motorcycle Italians could use in all weather. This was right after WWII when Europeans had no money for cars and gas was scarce. They were never intended for US roads. See what you can learn watching the History Channel?

When I was a kid one of our neighbors had an Isetta, we got to ride in it, thought it was the coolest thing on three wheels.
280px-BMW_Isetta_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

When I was a kid one of our neighbors had an Isetta, we got to ride in it, thought it was the coolest thing on three wheels.
/——/ My friend in HS had one and we took it out to Interstate 85. We had to get up a good head of steam downhill to make it up the next hill at 10 mph. There were tractor trailers blasting their horns at us and having to pass us. We got off at the second exit and took the service road back. Never again

01-1953-bmw-isetta.jpg

1953 BME Isetta

1009 Smart for Two

/——/ The original concept was to have a motorcycle Italians could use in all weather. This was right after WWII when Europeans had no money for cars and gas was scarce. They were never intended for US roads. See what you can learn watching the History Channel?
It was licensed to be built all over Europe and South America, most people remember it as the BMW Bubble Car.
Here's the Spanish made truck version the Iso Autocarro.
8dc16fca463deb499459b86c3d92f5cb--pickup-italy.jpg

/——/ My friend in HS had one and we took it out to Interstate 85. We had to get up a good head of steam downhill to make it up the next hill at 10 mph. There were tractor trailers blasting their horns at us and having to pass us. We got off at the second exit and took the service road back. Never again
Forty-eight MPH was it's top speed and it took 30 seconds to get to thirty MPH......... Definitely not a highway vehicle...... :lol:

Forty-eight MPH was it's top speed and it took 30 seconds to get to thirty MPH......... Definitely not a highway vehicle...... :lol:
/——/ Now you tell us. Where were you in 1970 with your cogent advice?

/——/ Now you tell us. Where were you in 1970 with your cogent advice?
Colorado Springs heading to Taiwan.........

Pretty much the antonym of 'cool'.

Anti-cool.

Cool as irony.

when I was a kid my girlfriend elder sister had that thing.....I thought it was so weird and funny and strange.....when she came and pick her up .....strangest thing on earth LOL.....we call it "the egg".

Forum List

Back