A logical proposal to double the pay of Walmart CEO:

Found this :

Smith, an alderman in Chicago, presented posters at a city council meeting showing that Walmart CEO Michael Duke's $35 million salary, when converted to an hourly wage, worked out to $16,826.92.

and do you want to double it to save millions of jobs??

How many walmart employees qualify for food stamps? The gov't is already subsidizing walmarts payroll. And you want to pass a law that forces the lowest paid workers to double the salary of the richest guy at the company?

Absolute lunacy.
why lunacy when a new CEO might save the company and 2.3 million jobs from going under in the face of competition from Amazon. Do you understand?

Oh I understand fine. Walmart often creates a net loss for communities when it moves in. Yes, there are a lot of jobs. But few that pay enough to save for retirement. Many employees qualify for food stamps and other gov't assistance.

Also, as much as 50% of the goods sold by Walmart are manufactured overseas. So they are helping kill production in the USA.

And their treatment of female employees is terrible.
"As recently as 2013, despite the fact that women account for as much as 57 percent of Walmart’s U.S. workforce (and that they employ more women than any other U.S. company), women were paid $1.16 less per hour. That adds up to $1,100 less per year than men doing the exact same jobs, and female employees in salaried positions of $50,000 or over earned $14,500 less than their male counterparts.

And if you think working at Walmart as a woman is hard already, forget about working there when you’re pregnant. Multiple lawsuits against the company are currently fighting for women who’ve been overworked, put in dangerous situations, and fired by Walmart while pregnant. (Fortunately, these cases are coming on the heels of the Supreme Court ruling in favor of pregnant women in Young vs. United Parcel Service.)"

And yet you want the Federal Gov't to pass a law taking $10 from these employees to pay the CEO more?

And the healthcare Walmart provides for its employees is pitiful. And has been cut and reworked numerous times, without warning.

Here is the final straw. Did you kinow that Walmart receives $8 billion in federal tax subsidies? And you want to use the might of the gov't to force underpaid employees to give back their pay (after they were taxed on it, no doubt) to pad the pay of the CEO??

Perhaps you think the gov't should hand walmart everything, despite the costs already associated with the retail giant??

I don't. If they can't survive in the business world, they go under. Someone will replace them. And perhaps the next one will pay well enough to be worth it.

No, it is a ridiculous idea. It is not the place of the federal gov't to use its power to further subjugate employees of a private business.

Edward actually made sense!
Its stupid and will never happen, but i totally understand the logic behind it. I don't think more pay would attract different people because its fucking high as fuck anyways.. but i agree with the logic!

of course its not stupid!! thats how the pay got bid up to $25 million in the first place. If there is a guy out there who can beat Amazon he's worth $100 million to Walmart.

If he can beat Amazon, he will be doing his job. Capitalism is about competition. Why do you want the federal gov't to back one company, by robbing its employees?

Its stupid and will never happen, but i totally understand the logic behind it. I don't think more pay would attract different people because its fucking high as fuck anyways.. but i agree with the logic!

of course its not stupid!! thats how the pay got bid up to $25 million in the first place. If there is a guy out there who can beat Amazon he's worth $100 million to Walmart.

If he can beat Amazon, he will be doing his job. Capitalism is about competition. Why do you want the federal gov't to back one company, by robbing its employees?

Well they could tax all retail employees so companies could afford to hire better CEO's who could save millions of jobs.

Well they could tax all retail employees so companies could afford to hire better CEO's who could save millions of jobs.

Tax ALL retail employees and use it to pay the salary of the CEO of only ONE company? Are you deranged?

How about Walmart either handles their business or the competitions puts them under and hires their people?

Meanwhile the amazon guy makes:

Amazon.com Inc. founder and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos received $1.68 million in total pay last year,.

so, he's worth $40 billion all from Amazon and doesn't want or need a higher salary to go about the business of bankrupting American retail and unemploying 20 million. Does the liberal want to try again???

Amazon is kicking Walmart's ass. And you think we should double the CEO of Walmart's to get someone that might be able to whoop Amazon. Hell, I would be looking for someone worth billions of dollars that didn't want or need a salary.

Amazon is kicking Walmart's ass. And you think we should double the CEO of Walmart's to get someone that might be able to whoop Amazon.

yep if you want better baseball players on your team you generally have to pay more.

Amazon is kicking Walmart's ass. And you think we should double the CEO of Walmart's to get someone that might be able to whoop Amazon.

yep if you want better baseball players on your team you generally have to pay more.

Not sure you want to go with the ball team. The ones with the highest payroll rarely win the championship. But let's run with it. The highest paid players are usually the home run hitters and starting pitchers. They put the fans in the seats but don't necessarily win the ball games. I will take a base stealing singles hitter with a gold glove over the slugging DH anytime. And a deep bullpen can win you ballgames.

And I understand your argument. There might be some merit to it if we had massive inflation, full employment, and companies starved for cash and buried with investment opportunities. But that is not the case. In fact, it is the opposite.

But Walmart's problem is simple. They are not hiring CEO's that can produce growth. They don't reward CEO's that produce growth. They hire, and compensate, their CEO's based on the performance of the stock. Instead of focusing on growing the business, they focus on growing the stock, and seek short term rental opportunities at the expense of innovation and growth.

But Amazon is eating Walmart's lunch, or more appropriately PIE because Amazon is doing what Walmart used to do, but in a modern way. Amazon ADAPTED, Walmart spent so much time PROTECTING their pie that they forgot how they made it.

How about Walmart either handles their business or the competitions puts them under and hires their people?

in this case the competition is Amazon and they have no or few employees!! Do you understand?

Do you think the items you order from Amazon get put on their web site by magic?
Do you think your payment is processed by magic?
Is it elves that find, pack, and ship your packages?
Do you think the customer service is only a mainframe computer?

The bottom line is that a capitalist system works by competition. You don't seem worried about all the Mom & Pop businesses Walmart put out of business. If Amazon found a better way to do business, then their competition will fail. But there will always be brick & mortar stores. If it isn't walmart, it will be Costco, Target or some other brand.

But the idea that you want our gov't to tax ALL retail employees, to double the pay of a CEO who already makes more than he is worth.

The average walmart associate makes $12.84 an hour. That comes to just a hair over $26k a year, before taxes. So he probably takes home less than $22k a year.

You want the $26k a year employee to pay for the raise for the guy who makes $35 million??

Then you want ALL retail employees to pay an extra tax to pay for the CEO of one company? In other words, you want the gov't to tax employees of Target, KMart, Belks, Kohls ect ect, to pay the CEO of their competition??

Maybe you should figure out what the actual job of our gov't is supposed to be. It damn sure isn't robbing the bottom workers to pay an outrageous salary for someone who cannot do their job.

Yep. But you don't request that the gov't extort money from other players to pay more for new ones. And you damn sure don't make the batboy and the mascot pay for it.

But you don't request that the gov't extort money from other players to pay more for new ones. And you damn sure don't make the batboy and the mascot pay for it.

Hey I'm flexible I'd be ok with asking the employees of Walmart if they would contribute $10 each to help double the salary of their CEO so they could hire someone who might be able to find a way to save their jobs against growing competition from Amazon.

I'm sure 99% would find it a good investment

It damn sure isn't robbing the bottom workers to pay an outrageous salary for someone who cannot do their job.

hey taxation is not robbery. in this case its asking them for a lousy $10 to save their jobs and keep them off welare that i'd have to pay for!! Its an obvious good idea?

In fact, if every employee at Walmart would give the company $10 they could double the pay of their CEO. With double the pay perhaps they could attract a CEO worth double the pay. This would be very valuable indeed as Walmart fights, in our dynamic Republican capitalist economy, to survive against Amazon. So, is huge new job security worth $10 to a Walmart employee?? You bet it is. Why not pass a law to extract the $10???

CEO compensation is up to the board of directors.

Found this :

Smith, an alderman in Chicago, presented posters at a city council meeting showing that Walmart CEO Michael Duke's $35 million salary, when converted to an hourly wage, worked out to $16,826.92.

and do you want to double it to save millions of jobs??
how often has the CEO laid off employees? His capital gains preference should ensure we have a Jobs Boom, all the time.

Meanwhile the amazon guy makes:

Amazon.com Inc. founder and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos received $1.68 million in total pay last year,.

so, he's worth $40 billion all from Amazon and doesn't want or need a higher salary to go about the business of bankrupting American retail and unemploying 20 million. Does the liberal want to try again???
dude, capitalism has a Natural Rate of Unemployment; want to try again?

In fact, if every employee at Walmart would give the company $10 they could double the pay of their CEO. With double the pay perhaps they could attract a CEO worth double the pay. This would be very valuable indeed as Walmart fights, in our dynamic Republican capitalist economy, to survive against Amazon. So, is huge new job security worth $10 to a Walmart employee?? You bet it is. Why not pass a law to extract the $10???

Because we enjoy a regulated free market, and therefore shouldn't dictate what people are paid.

why not drug test the current ceo and take away his steak and lobster privileges, until profits improve?

Forum List

Back