A little History lesson

I don't "buy into" the hysteria that we're doomed because we've created a threat to the planet. I do find the source a tad amusing though.

"This site reaches approximately 6,819 U.S. monthly people. The site attracts a skewing older, more male, more educated audience."

Seems to me "weeping" would be for those who are behind in their reading....

References

(1) A scientific Discussion of Climate Change, Sallie Baliunas, Ph.D., Harvard- Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and Willie Soon, Ph.D., Harvard- Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

(2) The Effects of Proposals for Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction; Testimony of Dr. Patrick J. Michaels, Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia, before the Subcommittee on Energy and Environment of the Committee on Science, United States House of Representatives

(3) Statement Concerning Global Warming-- Presented to the Senate Committee on Environmental and Public Works, June 10, 1997, by Dr. Richard S. Lindzen, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

(4) Excerpts from,"Our Global Future: Climate Change", Remarks by Under Secretary for Global affairs, T. Wirth, 15 September 1997. Site maintained by The Globe - Climate Change Campaign

(5) Testimony of John R. Christy to the Committee on Environmental and Public Works, Department of Atmospheric Science and Earth System Science Laboratory, University of Alabama in Huntsville, July 10, 1997.

(6) The Carbon Dioxide Thermometer and the Cause of Global Warming; Nigel Calder,-- Presented at a seminar SPRU (Science and Technology Policy Research), University of Sussex, Brighton, England, October 6, 1998.

(7) Variation in cosmic ray flux and global cloud coverage: a missing link in solar-climate relationships; H. Svensmark and E. Friis-Christiansen, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar- Terrestrial Physics, vol. 59, pp. 1225 - 1232 (1997).

(8) First International Conference on Global Warming and the Next Ice Age; Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, sponsored by the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society and the American Meteorological Society, August 21-24, 2001.

Here is an online book, written by a post grad student, now a Phd. It describes several periods of rapid warmings. And the effects, land and sea, of those warming. Whether one accepts the hypothesises presented, it is well worth the reading just for the information presented on methods of interpretations of the proxy evidence.

Methane catastrophe

So basically, the earth decides to rapidly warm up sometimes on it's own, but somehow this one time it's all our fault? Strange ... so very dishonestly strange.

Biz, if we see a significant cooling in the next five years, barring a Tambora event, then I am wrong. If we see new records from a run of the mill El Nino, then you are wrong. If we wait too long, and find out that people that were warning us of a tipping point were correct, then it doesn't matter to old fuds like me, just to people that are now young.

Biz, if we see a significant cooling in the next five years, barring a Tambora event, then I am wrong. If we see new records from a run of the mill El Nino, then you are wrong. If we wait too long, and find out that people that were warning us of a tipping point were correct, then it doesn't matter to old fuds like me, just to people that are now young.

In the mean time, we waste all our resources trying to fix something that we can't and changing laws that will effect the climate ... so when it does cool off it will be a non-stop ice age killing us all, but then you'll just have more to whine about and another excuse to tell people how to live.

In the mean time, we waste all our resources trying to fix something that we can't and changing laws that will effect the climate ... so when it does cool off it will be a non-stop ice age killing us all, but then you'll just have more to whine about and another excuse to tell people how to live.

The very technology that would make us energy independent would also address the problem of Global Warming.

Many people have "warned" us of many things for many years. Nothing wrong with behaving responsibly, doing your part to make the world a better, safer place to live in. But if you think, for one minute, that our parents lived their lives in a manner other than the way we are living ours -- trying to give them just a little bit more than we had and the benefit of our wisdom from years of experience --- you and I are not living in the same reality.

Science has been wrong before.

Certainly it might be wrong now.

If the earth's climate is rapidly moving in either direction dramatically, this civilization we have now is essantially hosed and really there is very little that we can do about that, either.

And like many of you, I have my doubts about current science's ability to really understand or predict the changes in climate we might be facing.

Everything I currently think I understand about random events and the climate change leads me to think that even if our information base was perfect, we still couldn't predict the outcome on climate change on this planet.

The more I read about the butterfly effect, the more I think that such long range predictions are not merely difficult, the more I suspect they're really impossible.

Our species is, much as we are as individuals, really at the mercy of forces and random events which make predicting our futures impossible.

Tommorrow is promised to no man.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back