A Little Civility in Politics Please

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
U.S Senator Amy Klobuchar today joined a letter calling for her colleagues from both sides of the aisle to sit together at the President’s State of the Union Address at the end of this month.

Klobuchar signed a bipartisan letter led by Senator Mark Udall to congressional leadership calling for Republicans and Democrats to break tradition and sit together during the President’s annual address.

“Our nation faces many important issues, and Americans want our elected officials to work together,” Klobuchar said. “Political courage in our nation’s capital has most often been symbolized by the man or woman who dares to stand alone. But political courage can also mean something different—the willingness to stand with those you normally disagree with for the betterment of our country. We can start by sitting together at the State of the Union.”

Democrats and Republicans sitting together? | Alexandria Echo Press | Alexandria, Minnesota

I think it's discourtesy to the president and childish to have the audience dived in two groups, one clapping and cheering, one booing and hissing. This is suppose to be a serious event not a football game.

Amy Klobbuchar is an ignoramus. She'd sue Santa for using coal in kids stockings when she was a DA. She won because he opponant was an even BIGGER ignoramus and hopefully this next election we'll get rid of her.

U.S Senator Amy Klobuchar today joined a letter calling for her colleagues from both sides of the aisle to sit together at the President’s State of the Union Address at the end of this month.

Klobuchar signed a bipartisan letter led by Senator Mark Udall to congressional leadership calling for Republicans and Democrats to break tradition and sit together during the President’s annual address.

“Our nation faces many important issues, and Americans want our elected officials to work together,” Klobuchar said. “Political courage in our nation’s capital has most often been symbolized by the man or woman who dares to stand alone. But political courage can also mean something different—the willingness to stand with those you normally disagree with for the betterment of our country. We can start by sitting together at the State of the Union.”

Democrats and Republicans sitting together? | Alexandria Echo Press | Alexandria, Minnesota

I think it's discourtesy to the president and childish to have the audience dived in two groups, one clapping and cheering, one booing and hissing. This is suppose to be a serious event not a football game.

Democrats have a lot of PR work to do. They are damaged goods. It's just a photo op. Nothing more.

If obie wan had sat with Gov. Brewer in Arizona I might be impressed. But, he didn't.

I hope the Republicans politely tell them, "no, thanks."

Where were all these caaaaaaals for civilllllity when the Dems won control of Congress in 2006, and Nancy Pelosi was like, "You lost. Elections have consequences."

It's only when Dems find themselves in the minority that they start with the "bipartisanship" and "civility" pablum.

There's NO justification at all to break with a 200 year old tradition.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Amy Klobbuchar is an ignoramus. She'd sue Santa for using coal in kids stockings when she was a DA. She won because he opponant was an even BIGGER ignoramus and hopefully this next election we'll get rid of her.
Even if Klobbuchar is an ignoramus, this is a good idea. Millions of Americans, who do no follow politics tune in to the State of Union to get the president's appraisal of the state of the nation. What they get is a hissing and cheering contest from the left and right more reminiscent of their son's football game than a serious political speech. I'm sure many American after watching this spectacle for 10 minutes decide that their time is better spent watching an old movie on cable.

Too make this decision less political, I suggest they do this after the next election.

The seating order in Congress is another stupid tradition, Democrats on the right and Republicans on the left. Is someone really concerned that Democrats and Republicans might actually talk to one another and work together to accomplish something? Apparently so.

Even if Klobbuchar is an ignoramus, this is a good idea. Millions of Americans, who do no follow politics tune in to the State of Union to get the president's appraisal of the state of the nation. What they get is a hissing and cheering contest from the left and right more reminiscent of their son's football game than a serious political speech. I'm sure many American after watching this spectacle for 10 minutes decide that their time is better spent watching an old movie on cable.

Too make this decision less political, I suggest they do this after the next election.
If you have the ability... watch Britain's House of Commons in action. They make our legislature look like the ladies church muffin society tea party. Particularly during the free for all when they get to question (insult) the PM.

If you just say "Democrats" nobody knows what you are talking about. If you say "fucking Democrats" everybody knows what you are talking about.

The seating order in Congress is another stupid tradition, Democrats on the right and Republicans on the left. Is someone really concerned that Democrats and Republicans might actually talk to one another and work together to accomplish something? Apparently so.

I agree. Dems should be on the left, Repubs on the right. Obviously.

Forum List

Back