A little about me...

RedHemiRam

Engineer-in-Training
Aug 19, 2011
Spokane Valley WA
I'm a recent college graduate from the Washington State University with an engineering degree (ChE, go cougs) just starting to get his feet wet in what during my college years I referred to as the 'Real World'.

Just out of school with decent debt, I went about 50/50 loans/grants and thats with my fancy expected family contribution = 0$. That was always one of my major bragging points. Finished school in six years, 1 yr WSU, 3 yr CC, 2 yr WSU; the traditional untraditional route for sure. Landed my current salaried position the week after graduation, some of the fastest weeks of my life. It was my one and only offer believe it or not, long are the glory days that I heard repeatedly from visiting alumni. "I got about 5 job offers and chose the one that suited me best.":eusa_pray: So I jumped on the offer, moved to a city I had never set foot in before, and never looked backed. Two months into it now, totally loving it.

As a young person, I had never paid much attention to finance, politics, or the general world news but these threes things are of great interest to me now. I hope we will able to exchange ideas and view points so I can better understand the larger picture and enjoy stimulating conversation with other informed individuals.

Word of advice. Learn for yourself - do not accept what anyone here (including me) tells you is 'fact'. And please learn not to accept what the media tells you is 'fact' either. Think critically - if you learned that skill in college (which I hope you did).

Decide for yourself. Look at both sides of any argument and don't fence yourself in to being a 'Democrat' or a 'Republican'. Only a fool accepts blindly one path - there are always more.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Congratz on the job. Did you get semi-fluent in any foreign language while in school ?
If not, you need night classes. I recommend Portuguese and Mandarin.You'll need them before you know it.

I'm a recent college graduate from the Washington State University with an engineering degree (ChE, go cougs) just starting to get his feet wet in what during my college years I referred to as the 'Real World'.

Just out of school with decent debt, I went about 50/50 loans/grants and thats with my fancy expected family contribution = 0$. That was always one of my major bragging points. Finished school in six years, 1 yr WSU, 3 yr CC, 2 yr WSU; the traditional untraditional route for sure. Landed my current salaried position the week after graduation, some of the fastest weeks of my life. It was my one and only offer believe it or not, long are the glory days that I heard repeatedly from visiting alumni. "I got about 5 job offers and chose the one that suited me best.":eusa_pray: So I jumped on the offer, moved to a city I had never set foot in before, and never looked backed. Two months into it now, totally loving it.

As a young person, I had never paid much attention to finance, politics, or the general world news but these threes things are of great interest to me now. I hope we will able to exchange ideas and view points so I can better understand the larger picture and enjoy stimulating conversation with other informed individuals.
Welome to USMB, RedHemiRam. Put a tenth of your finances into a wise portfolio if possible; read, but do not trust everything the media has to say; find and use a Webster's unabridged dictionary printed prior to 1970, and find and use the latest tome of Encarta, use them often, and keep them by your computer if you unfortunately wish to discuss politics.

Forum List

Back