Johnson A libertarian view of "oppressive justice" on the streets.

Discussion in 'Gary Johnson' started by flacaltenn, Jul 21, 2016.

1. mamooth

mamooth Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,106
    Ah, performance based rewards. That system worked so well with teaching. Teachers started teaching nothing but how to prep for standardized tests, because their jobs literally depended on it. And we started seeing massive cheating scandals with such tests. And teachers kept trying to pass off their worst students on to someone else, so as not to drag down their own "performance".

I'm seeing talk about the supposed miracle of "performance based rewards" for government employees, but I'm not seeing any plan that has any hope of working. "Performance based rewards will work" seems to be more in the category of a religious belief.

2. mamooth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,106
    No, your conclusion is in no way related to your premise.

Your failure there stems from your embrace of the fallacy that Democrats are always looking to expand bad government, when Democrats are instead seeking to remove bad government.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,028
    First, I did not use the words "always" or "bad".
    Also, I can not think of any cases when democrats replace "bad government" with less government. I'm not saying it never happens, but democrats tend to look to government programs or regulations to solve problems. You may have a different opinion, but using the word fallacy is not proof that I'm wrong.

4. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,026

I was listening to series on just this sort of thing a while ago (but it wasn't Ferguson) - it was mind opening. There are several things that never be done for a profit - this,justice and for-profit prisons. The foment abuse, and profit off human misery. That is really an eye opener on Ferguson's situation but it sure didn't get focused on in the media!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,877
    Nothing here suggests that "for profit" justice was run by any entity other than a callous, inept, and unimaginative local govt. Which is run like THOUSANDS of other local govts across the nation. In fact, the solution to problems like not allowing an economical fragile citizenry to make "installment payments" on fines --- NEEDS to borrow innovation and technology from the private sector. Those are the people who can set up systems that deliver better "customer service".

The few outside companies actually running prisons MAY BE a step too far. Largely because of negligent oversight by they govts that hire them. It COULD be made to work if the oversight worked.

Because if you look at local, county, state prisons ---- MOST of the services in those places are ALREADY contracted out. Meals, food, educational services, telecom, laundry, etc...

But most importantly, you need LESS politicians and media stars trying to make these failures of govt into some racist war. Or blame it on law enforcement, who are only reacting to the mtn of warrants and snowballed "rap lists".....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  6. mamooth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,106
    A step in the right direction here was the recent liberalization of marijuana laws in many states. Without pot busts, it's harder to find excuses to jail people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Buck111

Buck111 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Just to lighten things up a bit, I'll donate this to the conversation.

"Take that, roads!"
    "Not MUH roads!"
    "How you like them roads now?!"

GJ.jpg