A liberal defends Bush - hard to believe

rhodescholar

Gold Member
May 31, 2009
Strafing Iranian RGs with my .50 Cal
Tom Friedman is not exactly known for sitting firmly in the conservative camp, and he had this to say about Bush's actions in the middle east:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/opinion/14friedman.html?_r=1

"There are a million things to hate about President Bush’s costly and wrenching wars. But the fact is, in ousting Saddam in Iraq in 2003 and mobilizing the U.N. to push Syria out of Lebanon in 2005, he opened space for real democratic politics that had not existed in Iraq or Lebanon for decades. “Bush had a simple idea, that the Arabs could be democratic, and at that particular moment simple ideas were what was needed, even if he was disingenuous,” said Michael Young, the opinion editor of The Beirut Daily Star. “It was bolstered by the presence of a U.S. Army in the center of the Middle East. It created a sense that change was possible, that things did not always have to be as they were.”"

----------------------------------------------

It is amazing how, first, Bush's wars were horrible and iraq was a disaster. Then the libs started grudgingly admitting things were calming down there. Now they're starting to admit, "well, maybe the wars opened things up a bit..."

It is so fucking hilarious the effect that the media-manufactured, irrational hatred of Bush has had on so many people, without them even grasping it. No matter what he did, even if it turned out positively, he was still "bad". Hysterical.

In about 20 years, unless there is some major catastrophe, Bush's interventions into the middle east will be looked back upon as watershed events, that finally began to break the hold of the religious fanatics.

• Banned
Like the irrational hatred spewed at Obama while doing the same things as Bush from the right?

I am a conservative, voted against Obama, but am still hoping he is successful as president, though things aren't looking up right now. His success, though is my success, as we are Americans FIRST.

Anyway, if a fat turd like drug-using Rush is your representation of convservatives, I can see how you might not think well of them, but he is not nor should he considered be...

Last edited:
Not all "liberals" hated W. Many people have the mentality that either you supported GWB for 8 years or you were a "liberal" Bush basher.

History might very well give Bush high marks for his role in bringing about actual change in the Middle East. (If things continue to improve slowly but surely) That has got to be driving Jimah Cahtah crazy. (Thankfully that is a short drive for Jimah)

I'm sure his 38th book on the subject will be sure to alter the Middle East this time around...

image005.jpg

You know, if the Middle East layed down all its guns tomorrow, and shook hands and had a big ol porkless summer BBQ, the media would say Obama changed the world, and it all began with Jimah Cahtah, and give them both Nobel Peace Prizes.

But history comes long after the initial media portrayals, and Bush II might very well be far more respected in the future than when he left office - similar to Truman.

Not sayin' it's a sure thing - but certainly possible.

Tom Friedman is not exactly known for sitting firmly in the conservative camp, and he had this to say about Bush's actions in the middle east:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/opinion/14friedman.html?_r=1

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man, you are a complete tool.

Tom Friedman was in favor of your and Bush's War FROM THE VERY START

:lol:

Did Sean Hannity order you to post this? Freidman's not a lefty, and he was Pro-War back when you and bush were trying to sell your bullshit war

Your desire to discredit Friedman does not dismiss his premise - history might well regard Bush II with high regard regarding the Middle East...

WOw!!!

Bush-supporters found an article from a guy who supported the war from the beginning, and he gives Bush some props!

Good job Einsteins!!

You really nailed the leftys with this one! :lol:

WOw!!!

Bush-supporters found an article from a guy who supported the war from the beginning, and he gives Bush some props!

Good job Einsteins!!

You really nailed the leftys with this one! :lol:

I have no desire to nail lefties.

My point is simply that Friedman's premise could possible be correct.

History has such examples - Truman being an important one.

Feel free to hate bush all you want.

But based on that, you may wish to visit the "Obama threw the Gay Community Under the Bus" thread as it might suit your interests more...

Man, you are a complete tool.

Tom Friedman was in favor of your and Bush's War FROM THE VERY START

Did Sean Hannity order you to post this? Freidman's not a lefty, and he was Pro-War back when you and bush were trying to sell your bullshit war

Sure whatever you say, fairy. Did you actually look back through his writings/interviews to see if he actually was in favor, against or neutral?

Not hard to believe if you don't think in black and white.

Hardly, and you must have missed the irrational hatred spewed against Bush by the left - see chimps like Keith Olbermann - that flowed so freely for 8 years...

the entire Democwat party had a visceral hatred for Bush and vocalized it loudly for 8 solid years! Never once backed the man up.. iirc.

Like the irrational hatred spewed at Obama while doing the same things as Bush from the right?

I am a conservative, voted against Obama, but am still hoping he is successful as president, though things aren't looking up right now. His success, though is my success, as we are Americans FIRST.

Anyway, if a fat turd like drug-using Rush is your representation of convservatives, I can see how you might not think well of them, but he is not nor should he considered be...

Now you get it ... maybe ... I hope ;)

Not hard to believe if you don't think in black and white.

Hardly, and you must have missed the irrational hatred spewed against Bush by the left - see chimps like Keith Olbermann - that flowed so freely for 8 years...

the entire Democwat party had a visceral hatred for Bush and vocalized it loudly for 8 solid years! Never once backed the man up.. iirc.

:eusa_eh: Really? News to me. I know a "liberal" who actually voted for Bush ... the SECOND term! :eek: Must not be a "real" liberal huh?

:eusa_eh: Really? News to me. I know a "liberal" who actually voted for Bush ... the SECOND term! :eek: Must not be a "real" liberal huh?

nope,, not a real liberal,, nope.

Forum List

Back