A letter to the Adults of the GOP

I'm not good with that. And neither should you be.

Hypothetical situation. Romney loses. Then the economy starts to go south again because businesses realize they are stuck with ObamaCare. The GOP scores big wins in 2014 and 2016.

Then Conservatives can honestly say "Hey, we tried running moderates in 2008 and 2012, and look what that got us? We need to nominate a real Conservative Fire-Breather next time. "

And that guy wins. Because really, after Obama, who do you got? Hillary and Biden will be too old. A lot of the office holders you have now will be washed out in 2014 and a few in 2012.

I see Andrew Cuomo as a apossible entry. And I have always like Bill Richardson. He was knocked out of the running by lies, probably originating from the GOP.

What if Cuomo loses his bid for re-election in 2014? Then he's washed up.

Can't see Richardson making a comeback.

You may be right. If Obama does win reelection, the Dems have four years to prepare someone. It will be interesting...

Democrats can lie all they want, but they can't change the circumstances.

Voters don’t vote ‘circumstances,’ they vote whom they like and think will win, and that’s not Romney.

Partisan rightists and Obama haters have contrived this bizarre, pathetic fantasy where they perceive every single voter who voted for Obama is waiting desperately for 2012 to ‘correct his mistake.’ That all the GOP need do is run ‘someone with a pulse’ and Obama would be defeated.

They’re clearly out of touch with reality.

Well, that's halfway true.

The real problem is, a lot of you KNOW you made a mistake, but can't really admit it to yourself.

Obama's been a poor president. But the GOP isn't giving us a lot to work with here. And maybe part of that is that it's still trying to figure itself out. Does it want to be a working class party of traditional moral values or a wealthy man's party of no values other than the Dow?

Until it sorts that argument out amongst themselves, they aren't going to be able to present a stark choice.

Last time obama was running against Bush's record. This time he's running against his own, which is even WORSE than Bush ever had.

16 trillion dollars in debt
Gas that might be up to $8.00 a gallon by election day with prices of groceries and goods to match.
Real unemployment figures up to 15%.
Violations of Constitutional freedoms
Misstep after misstep in the middle east.
Anti American activities like Fast and Furious

Then there is the personality defects, an overarching arrogance. Muslim apologist. Endless squandering of the treasury on lavish vacations and parties.

IF Obama can handle the crisis in Syria, he most probably will be reelected. If not, I say its 50-50.

Last time obama was running against Bush's record. This time he's running against his own, which is even WORSE than Bush ever had.

Gas that might be up to $8.00 a gallon by election day with prices of groceries and goods to match.

Then there is the personality defects, an overarching arrogance. Muslim apologist. Endless squandering of the treasury on lavish vacations and parties.

IF Obama can handle the crisis in Syria, he most probably will be reelected. If not, I say its 50-50.

I disagree.

My observation is that the election will turn almost entirely on the economy.

If the President and his crew succeed (with the dishonest help of their handmaiden MSM) in spinning his dismal performance into the "foundation for a profound recovery" or some such malarkey, then the voters might stick with him.

If reality seeps through, he's gone.

Ultimately, though, you are not asking me to vote "against" Obama.

You are asking me to vote "For" Romney.

These are two different things.

If people were merely voting "against" Bush in 2004, Kerry would have won. But people couldn't bring themselves to vote FOR John Kerry.

Remember that Romney's wife drives "a couple Cadillacs." Yup, that will resonate with the family that has been unemployed for months. Mitt has "Foot in Mouth" disease.

Get used to the delight of various pundits as the republicans completely self destruct their nominating process and possibly their party this year, it's hard to feel sorry for people who are suffering from deliberate self-inflicted wounds.
Right...In the meantime your Boiking is running around acting as though he's a proxy for Christ himself.

Good luck with that one.

Obama is going to mount one of the best organized, message disciplined campaigns we will ever see, it will be a thing of beauty. Of course, the republicans will curse it and denounce it as some kind of evil plot but again that will just be the brats talking.

"...message disciplined campaign..." Is that what you're calling a campaign that will try to emphasize everything BUT the deficit, unemployment and the economy? I'm quite sure you're correct on that, Occupied...the question then becomes this...are the American people going to fall for "Hope & Change II"? I don't see it personally. Unless something dramatic happens with the economy over the next six months, Barry's in trouble and $5.00 a gallon gas isn't going to help in that regard.

Ultimately, though, you are not asking me to vote "against" Obama.

You are asking me to vote "For" Romney.

These are two different things.

If people were merely voting "against" Bush in 2004, Kerry would have won. But people couldn't bring themselves to vote FOR John Kerry.

Remember that Romney's wife drives "a couple Cadillacs." Yup, that will resonate with the family that has been unemployed for months. Mitt has "Foot in Mouth" disease.

You know, I used to actual FEEL something when Romney made these assinine statements, some of which I have enshrined in my sig line.

But I just don't feel anything any more. I'm like numb to it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MLxgkiPNg&feature=fvst]Comfortably Numb - YouTube[/ame]

Voters don’t vote ‘circumstances,’ they vote whom they like and think will win, and that’s not Romney.

Partisan rightists and Obama haters have contrived this bizarre, pathetic fantasy where they perceive every single voter who voted for Obama is waiting desperately for 2012 to ‘correct his mistake.’ That all the GOP need do is run ‘someone with a pulse’ and Obama would be defeated.

They’re clearly out of touch with reality.

Well, that's halfway true.

The real problem is, a lot of you KNOW you made a mistake, but can't really admit it to yourself.

Obama's been a poor president. But the GOP isn't giving us a lot to work with here. And maybe part of that is that it's still trying to figure itself out. Does it want to be a working class party of traditional moral values or a wealthy man's party of no values other than the Dow?

Until it sorts that argument out amongst themselves, they aren't going to be able to present a stark choice.

Boy, you must be in a lot of trouble with your honesty.

The Democrats are pretty confident right now (and that's dangerous), but it's understandable. They're looking at the mess that is the GOP, assuming Obama is in, and doing a lot of wishing out loud for Cuomo/Warren in 2016. No way to know what things will look like then, so no use handicapping it. But oh, to be a fly on the wall when Christie, Bush, Daniels and Ryan were thinking about running.

You're also right that, while the righties here are correct about Obama's vulnerable record, they appear to be in abject denial about the lack of a credible alternative to Obama. It's clear that being a partisan ideologue means that they wrap themselves in their little worlds and have little contact with anything else. Yes, Obama's record is clearly vulnerable. But no, the GOP lineup is impressing no one, especially those dastardly Independents.

Get used to the delight of various pundits as the republicans completely self destruct their nominating process and possibly their party this year, it's hard to feel sorry for people who are suffering from deliberate self-inflicted wounds.
Right...In the meantime your Boiking is running around acting as though he's a proxy for Christ himself.

Good luck with that one.

Obama is going to mount one of the best organized, message disciplined campaigns we will ever see, it will be a thing of beauty. Of course, the republicans will curse it and denounce it as some kind of evil plot but again that will just be the brats talking.
Like hell he will.

He's going to run the most mean spirited scorched Earth campaign we've ever seen...There's absolutely no way that he can run on his record and convince anyone but the Ozombies who have their heads totally jammed up his ass, like you.

Last edited:
Carville: GOP adults want 'children' to behave themselves - CNN.com

If you notice that I have changed my current missive to address adults (as opposed to addressing the establishment as I've done in the previous two), this was done to acknowledge Indiana GOP Chairman Eric Holcomb.

Holcomb said recently, "Republicans are fretting the four dancing now can't beat Obama in the fall — so their national talent search continues," adding that the pleas had come from "the adults" in the party.

Is there someone in the wings who is going to be the Conservative saviour of the GOP?

Unlikely.

There simply isn't enough blood in the water to attract the sharks.

I think most of the adults in the GOP realize Obama is going to get a second term because as a rule, we don't throw out incumbants unless things are really, really bad.

Things are bad right now, but they aren't as bad as they were in 2009.

Jeb Bush could give Obama a real run for his money, but he'd have to work pretty hard for it. But if he waits until 2016, he'll have the advantage of not facing an incumbant.

And here's where I think Obama is making a mistake. Quick, who is Obama's successor?

Reagan had the wisdom to groom Bush-41 as a successor and Clinton Groomed Al Gore. Bush =-43 did no such thing, and niether is Obama, as near as I can tell.

Either Romney or Santorum can beat Obama if they can raise enough money. Obama won in 2008 not because he was a strong candidate but because he outspent McCain by a ratio of 4 to 1 throughout the campaign and by a ratio of 5 to 1 during the last month. In hotly contested areas voters were bombarded with Obama ads while McCain could barely afford to keep his name in the news. If the finances had been reversed, McCain would have easily won the election. If Obama had accepted public financing it is likely McCain would have won.

In 2004, Bush and Kerry spent a combined total of $717.9 million. Obama plans to spend $1 billion dollars in his campaign because he and his handlers, Axelrod and Plouffe, understand that with his poor record in office on the issues and the worsening economy - Gallup predicts the BLS unemployment number for February will be 9% and analysts are predicting $5 a gallon gas by election time - unless he again massively outspends his opponents, he won't be elected. Republican leaders also understand this, and if they can raise as much money as Obama, Obama will lose to either Romney or Santorum.

Either Romney or Santorum can beat Obama if they can raise enough money. Obama won in 2008 not because he was a strong candidate but because he outspent McCain by a ratio of 4 to 1 throughout the campaign and by a ratio of 5 to 1 during the last month. In hotly contested areas voters were bombarded with Obama ads while McCain could barely afford to keep his name in the news. If the finances had been reversed, McCain would have easily won the election. If Obama had accepted public financing it is likely McCain would have won.
McWeasel lost because he ran the most incompetent and incomprehensible campaign since George McGovern....Money had very little to do with it.

McWeasel lost because he ran the most incompetent and incomprehensible campaign since George McGovern....Money had very little to do with it.

The 2008 election was about nothing but campaign money, and this time around Obama's only chance of being reelected is to again massively outspend his opponent.

If I remember the last election Bam Bam and Hillary duked it out until June.

it's only February so what's the big fucking deal about the repugnantcans still fighting it out?

If you notice that I have changed my current missive to address adults (as opposed to addressing the establishment as I've done in the previous two), this was done to acknowledge Indiana GOP Chairman Eric Holcomb.

Holcomb said recently, "Republicans are fretting the four dancing now can't beat Obama in the fall — so their national talent search continues," adding that the pleas had come from "the adults" in the party.
Is there someone in the wings who is going to be the Conservative saviour of the GOP?

Too late for new entries, isn't it?

Bah! With the Liberal Mainstream Media behind him, he'll be able to blame everything on Bush this time as well.

"It was worse that we thought"
"Bush made things so bad that we need 8 years to correct it".

Too late for new entries, isn't it?
No...They can go off the board and choose a candidate at the RNC.

Guy, there are a lot of very valid criticisms that can be made of Obama.

But going into hysterics like "15% unemployment" and "gas is going to cost $8.00" kind of undercuts your argument.

It's really the Ronald Reagan Question-

Are you better off than you were four years ago?

A lot of people can answer yes to that question right now.

The man is correct.

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force
17.3 15.2 16.2 16.1 16.4 16.0 15.6 15.2
The above from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012

Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

Energy policy?
Keystone, Solyndra, drilling moratoriums, rescinding lease offers, and energy taxes? Obama Energy Plan: Running on Empty | The Right Sphere

Guy, there are a lot of very valid criticisms that can be made of Obama.

But going into hysterics like "15% unemployment" and "gas is going to cost $8.00" kind of undercuts your argument.

It's really the Ronald Reagan Question-

Are you better off than you were four years ago?

A lot of people can answer yes to that question right now.

The man is correct.

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force
17.3 15.2 16.2 16.1 16.4 16.0 15.6 15.2
The above from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012

Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

Energy policy?
Keystone, Solyndra, drilling moratoriums, rescinding lease offers, and energy taxes? Obama Energy Plan: Running on Empty | The Right Sphere

1) The U6 has never been used as a standard before, and won't be now. Sorry. doesn't fly.

2) Sorry, no one cares about Obama's energy policy except the far right. And frankly, this is the problem with the GOP nominating process overall. They aren't talking about things people actually care about.

Seriously, who supported Arlen Specter and who got an Ear Mark and who wants to ban contraception. These are not things that voters care about.

Forum List

Back