A letter to John Kerry

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
A retired Navy Captain, Vietnam veteran and friend of mine sent me the following letter in an email. He said this letter is making the rounds within the Navy Veteran circles so I thought I would share it here. I am not sure if you have seen this before, but here it goes.....

=============================================

Dear Senator Kerry:

Since it has become clear that you will probably be the Democratic nominee for President, I have spent a great deal of time researching your war record and your record as a professional politician. The reason is simple; you aspire to be the Commander in Chief who would lead my sons and their fellow soldiers in time of war. I simply wanted to know if you possess the necessary qualifications to be trusted in that respect.

You see, I belong to a family of proud U.S. veterans. I was a Captain in the Army Reserve, my father was a decorated Lieutenant in World War II; and I have four sons who have either served, or are currently serving in the military. The oldest is an Army Lieutenant still on active duty in Afghanistan after already being honored for his service in Iraq. The youngest is an E-4 with the military police. His National Guard unit just finished their second tour of active duty, including six months in Guantanamo Bay. My two other sons have served in the National Guard and the navy.

In looking at your record, I found myself comparing it not only to that of my father and my sons, but to the people with which they served. My father served with the 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion in Europe. They landed on Utah Beach and fought for 317 straight days, including the Cherbourg Peninsula, Aachen, the Hurtgen Forest, and the Battle of the Bulge. You earned a Silver Star in Vietnam for chasing down and finishing off a wounded and retreating enemy soldier. My father won a Bronze Star for single handedly charging and knocking out a German machine gun nest that had his men pinned down. You received three purple hearts for what appears to be three minor scratches. In fact, you only missed a combined total of two days of duty for these wounds. The men of my father's unit, the 87th, had to be admonished by their commanding officer because: "It has been brought to our attention that some men are covering up wounds and refusing medical attention for fear of being evacuated and permanently separated from this organization". It was also a common problem for seriously wounded soldiers to go AWOL from hospitals in order to rejoin their units. You used your three purple hearts to leave Vietnam early.

My oldest boy came home from Iraq with numerous commendations and then proceeded to volunteer to go to Afghanistan, and from there, back to Iraq again. My sons and father have never had anything but the highest regard and respect for their fellow soldiers. Yet, you came home to publicly charge your fellow fighting men with being war criminals and to urge their defeat by the enemy. You even wrote a book that had a cover that mocked the heroism of the U.S. Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima.

Our current crop of soldiers has a philosophy that no one gets left behind; and they have practiced that from Somalia to the battlefields of the Middle East. Yet, as chairman of a Senate committee looking into
allegations that many of your fellow servicemen had been left behind as prisoners in Vietnam, you chose to defend the brutal Vietnamese regime. You even went so far as to refer to the families of the POWs and MIAs as professional malcontents, conspiracy mongers, con artists, and dime store Rambos.

As a Senator you voted against the 1991 Gulf War, and have repeatedly voted against funds to supply our troops with the best equipment, and against money to improve our intelligence capability. I find this particularly ironic since, as a presidential candidate, you are highly critical of our pre-war intelligence in Iraq. However, you did vote to authorize the President to go to war, but have since proceeded to do everything you can to undermine the efforts of our government and our troops to win. Is this what our fighting men and women can expect of you if you are their Commander in Chief? Will you gladly send them to war, only to then aid the enemy by undermining the morale of our troops and cutting off the weapons they need to win?

Our country is at war, Senator, and as has been the case in every war since the American Revolution, a member of my family is serving their country during the war. Now you want me to trust you to lead my sons in this fight.

Sorry, Senator, but when I compare your record to those who have fought and died for this nation, and are currently fighting and dying, the answer is not just no, but Hell No!

Sincerely,

Michael Connelly February 14, 2004
Dallas, Texas

Of course, you never know about the validity of these things that circulate through the email, as far as if this is an actual person talking about actual family. The sentiment, however, rings very true. I often look at Kerry's record in Vietnam and compare it to my cousin Archie's. John Kerry doesn't deserve to stand in the same room with my cousin.

This kind of thing goes hand in hand with that letter signed by the men who served with Kerry. If it were a handful of guys I could see where it might be a political agenda. In this case, roughly 75% of the men Kerry served with, uncluding EVERY commanding officer he had said he was not fit to be President of the United States. It just confirms what a lot of us already know. Hopefull more people in America will get the message before it's to late.

Jimmy: You do realize that website where they claim to have signatures from so many people saying Kerry is unfit for Commander in Chief is COMPLETELY FALSE, don't you? They don't have ANY signatures! They're just lying!

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Now that we've proven Kerry is unfit to be commander and chief, lets go vote for someone with a proud, solid military background, Bush!:rolleyes:

Military Background is no basis for running a country. Otherwise how did bubba get elected to 2 terms. Granted he didnt do so hot in the defense of the nation and foreign affairs with terrorists, but if a Draft Dodger was your hero of the 90's, why is a Vietnam Vet your hero now?

Originally posted by SuperFlyingEngi
Jimmy: You do realize that website where they claim to have signatures from so many people saying Kerry is unfit for Commander in Chief is COMPLETELY FALSE, don't you? They don't have ANY signatures! They're just lying!

Who cares about whether the website has signatures or not? Whats important is that we look at Senator Kerrys record. Why is it we try to question Kerry's record and Kerry supportors seem to object so much. What is there to hide? if you find something false correct it. Its not that hard.

Now back to the signatures, if they dont have any, they can have mine. I may not have served in the military but i will still proudly add my signature and say, Senator John F Kerry is unfit to be commander in Chief. His last two votes alone show that. He voted to put our troops in danger but voted against giving the additional supplies and equipment they need to stay alive. Now does anyone seriously think that someone who puts our troops in danger and then opposes supporting them in that dangerous position is fit for the position of commander and chief? And you dont have to be a four star general to see that, heck you dont even have to be in the JROTC to see that.

Avatar, I already signed it awhile ago. This kid is pissing in the wind.

Military Background is no basis for running a country. Otherwise how did bubba get elected to 2 terms. Granted he didnt do so hot in the defense of the nation and foreign affairs with terrorists, but if a Draft Dodger was your hero of the 90's, why is a Vietnam Vet your hero now?

Military Background is sometimes only a fraction of the things I consider before voting, but this time around it is nothing. I think it is really stupid that you have these supposed vets saying how Kerry basically started shooting his own men and yelling "VC!" at the top of his lungs. Its all a bunch of BS. Also, if this author/s wanted to be unbiased, he should have said he won't be voting this election as Bush's military background isn't as good as Kerry's.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Military Background is sometimes only a fraction of the things I consider before voting, but this time around it is nothing. I think it is really stupid that you have these supposed vets saying how Kerry basically started shooting his own men and yelling "VC!" at the top of his lungs. Its all a bunch of BS. Also, if this author/s wanted to be unbiased, he should have said he won't be voting this election as Bush's military background isn't as good as Kerry's.

I think its ridiculous that Kerry wants to Run as a hero of Vietnam, a war he so vehomently protested.

Originally posted by SuperFlyingEngi

Oh really? I guess when I saw a large number of those same men in a press conference on C-Span talking about the signatures they have, that was completely false too? Was the man who served with Kerry that appeared on MSNBC talking about the signatures completely false? How about the fact that the man on MSNBC and others have voiced their disapproval of pictures of them have been used in Kerry campaign ads? Was all that just a dream, or are you full of it?

Originally posted by Jimmyeatworld
Oh really? I guess when I saw a large number of those same men in a press conference on C-Span talking about the signatures they have, that was completely false too? Was the man who served with Kerry that appeared on MSNBC talking about the signatures completely false? How about the fact that the man on MSNBC and others have voiced their disapproval of pictures of them have been used in Kerry campaign ads? Was all that just a dream, or are you full of it?

Its just a vast right wing conspiracy. How dare they be honest and use the truth against Kerry!

Willie Horton actually existed. Bill Clinton was a draft dodger. Conservatives' insistence on telling the inconvenient truth is so..... mean-spirited!

:clap: Thats a good old Dallas boy right there. And thats all that needs to be said. Kerry is a foreign policy nightmare. We need a president that understands the American soldier. Thats G. W. Bush

After reading all these posts, I just don't understand how this is such an important issue.

I mean here you have someone, Kerry, who actually served in the military during Vietnam, which is no small feat. Also, this person is very open about their military history (as far as we know) but it still doesn't mean that the person is qualified to run a country.

Then people bring up Clinton who admittingly said that he was a draft dodger. At least he was honest this time around.

And finally you have Bush, who will not admit to anything other than "I was in the military", but never fought and his background in the military is very questionable, especially since no one can remember him. And this does not make him a man who understands soldiers in my eyes or my father's eyes (who served in Vietnam).

I just think this is all silly. By going off of these backgrounds no one would be truly fit to run this country. Overall, I think people are forgetting that you have to vote for the person who you agree with the most. That's what it comes down to. :D

Originally posted by brneyedgrl80
After reading all these posts, I just don't understand how this is such an important issue.

I mean here you have someone, Kerry, who actually served in the military during Vietnam, which is no small feat. Also, this person is very open about their military history (as far as we know) but it still doesn't mean that the person is qualified to run a country.

Then people bring up Clinton who admittingly said that he was a draft dodger. At least he was honest this time around.

And finally you have Bush, who will not admit to anything other than "I was in the military", but never fought and his background in the military is very questionable, especially since no one can remember him. And this does not make him a man who understands soldiers in my eyes or my father's eyes (who served in Vietnam).

I just think this is all silly. By going off of these backgrounds no one would be truly fit to run this country. Overall, I think people are forgetting that you have to vote for the person who you agree with the most. That's what it comes down to. :D

I agree with the fact that military background does not make you qualified to run the country.

I also agree with the fact that you have to vote for who you agree with the most. I assume by your false statements about Bush's military background that you'll be voting for KErry.

What is it about Kerry that you agree with?

Originally posted by insein
I agree with the fact that military background does not make you qualified to run the country.

I also agree with the fact that you have to vote for who you agree with the most. I assume by your false statements about Bush's military background that you'll be voting for KErry.

What is it about Kerry that you agree with?

I wouldn't exactly call them false statements. Bush's military history has been, at the very least, "questionable". But moving on from that.

Here are some of the reasons I prefer Kerry over Bush and Nader.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6866&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

I never didn't finish though...:cool:

Forum List

Back