A Lesson in Tolerance

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
The rebuilding of the Maghen Abraham Synagogue was recently completed in downtown Beirut just 4 years after Israel attached Lebanon. The conflict killed at least 1,500 people, mostly Lebanese civilians, severely damaged civil infrastructure, and displaced approximately one million Lebanese.

The Lebanese people could have said locate your synagogue some place else. It disrespects the victims of the attack and will be a monument to the attackers. But they didn't. The project received the green light after political officials and community leaders became convinced it could show that Lebanon is an open country, tolerant of many faiths including Judaism. Maybe we have something to learn here, or maybe not.

Beirut synagogue restored to glory, despite tensions with Israel - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
2006 Lebanon War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rebuilding of the Maghen Abraham Synagogue was recently completed in downtown Beirut just 4 years after Israel attached Lebanon. The conflict killed at least 1,500 people, mostly Lebanese civilians, severely damaged civil infrastructure, and displaced approximately one million Lebanese.

The Lebanese people could have said locate your synagogue some place else. It disrespects the victims of the attack and will be a monument to the attackers. But they didn't. The project received the green light after political officials and community leaders became convinced it could show that Lebanon is an open country, tolerant of many faiths including Judaism. Maybe we have something to learn here, or maybe not.

Beirut synagogue restored to glory, despite tensions with Israel - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

The attempted parity here is simply appalling. Anyone falling for this is a world-class moron with galactic oak clusters.
FAIL.

Beirut is not where one would expect to find religious tolerance. If Muslims can tolerate the building of a Synagogue in the middle of Beirut, just 4 years after the war, America should be able tolerate a Muslim community center 2 blocks from ground zero 10 years after the attack.

I thought it was the Muslims that had so little religious tolerance.

Funny Cars used to be called "floppers". True story dat.

hrdp_0809_02_zvintage_funny_car_racingplymouth_arrow.jpg

Beirut is not where one would expect to find religious tolerance. If Muslims can tolerate the building of a Synagogue in the middle of Beirut, just 4 years after the war, America should be able tolerate a Muslim community center 2 blocks from ground zero 10 years after the attack.

Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East. It had a flowering cultural life and was an important banking center. That included a decent sized Jewish community.
All of this came to an end with the rise of militant Islamics.

Commenting on the synagogue, Hezbollah said that their fight was against the Israelis not their religion. It's too bad we can't see that our fight is against terrorism not Islam. Religious tolerance is something we would rather preach than practice.

Commenting on the synagogue, Hezbollah said that their fight was against the Israelis not their religion. It's too bad we can't see that our fight is against terrorism not Islam. Religious tolerance is something we would rather preach than practice.

Flopper, I admire your tolerance; ignoring an asshole such as Rabbi (who at best is willfully ignorant and filled with hate) is a model for all of us.

Let's check your answer and see how you scored, shall we?

"A Muslim is the brother of another Muslim and all the Muslims are brothers of one another and constitute one hand as against the non-Muslims." —Muhammad, 630 A.D. at the occupation of Mecca

"I was ordered to fight all men until they say 'there is no god but Allah.'" —Muhammad's farewell address, 632

"I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.'" —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 4:52:196 Narrated Abu Huraira

"He who fights so that Allah's Word (Islam) should be superior, then he fights in Allah's cause." —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 1:3:125 Narrated Abu Musa

"I asked the Prophet [Muhammad], 'What is the best deed?' He replied, 'To believe in Allah and to fight for His Cause.'" —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 3:46:694 Narrated Abu Dhar

"And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along withAllah)". —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 6:60:40 Narrated Nafi'

"Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers." —Quran 3.151

"I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them." —Quran 8:12

"Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know." —Quran 8:60

"O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them." —Quran 5:51

"Fight and slay the Unbelievers wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)" —Quran 9:5

"Islam wishes to destroy all states and governments anywhere on the face of the earth which are opposed to the ideology and program of Islam regardless of the country or the nation which rules it. The purpose of Islam is to set up a State on the basis of its own ideology and program." —Syed Abul A'ala Maududi

Wow! I'll have to give you a "Pass With Flying Colors" on that one! You got it 100% right! Go to the head of the class.

"A Muslim is the brother of another Muslim and all the Muslims are brothers of one another and constitute one hand as against the non-Muslims." —Muhammad, 630 A.D. at the occupation of Mecca

"I was ordered to fight all men until they say 'there is no god but Allah.'" —Muhammad's farewell address, 632

"I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.'" —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 4:52:196 Narrated Abu Huraira

"He who fights so that Allah's Word (Islam) should be superior, then he fights in Allah's cause." —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 1:3:125 Narrated Abu Musa

"I asked the Prophet [Muhammad], 'What is the best deed?' He replied, 'To believe in Allah and to fight for His Cause.'" —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 3:46:694 Narrated Abu Dhar

"And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along withAllah)". —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 6:60:40 Narrated Nafi'

"I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them." —Quran 8:12

"Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know." —Quran 8:60

"O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them." —Quran 5:51

"Fight and slay the Unbelievers wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)" —Quran 9:5

"Islam wishes to destroy all states and governments anywhere on the face of the earth which are opposed to the ideology and program of Islam regardless of the country or the nation which rules it. The purpose of Islam is to set up a State on the basis of its own ideology and program." —Syed Abul A'ala Maududi

Wow! I'll have to give you a "Pass With Flying Colors" on that one! You got it 100% right! Go to the head of the class.
I could go through the Bible and other holy books quoting prophets and scholars out of context, but this proves nothings. In religion it is the interpretation that church leaders give scriptures that form the cornerstone beliefs. In Christianity, there are a few verses that form the hallmark beliefs, while other passages are ignored or given a very liberal interpretation. I suspect this is true of Islam as is with all major religions.

As you are surely aware, there are many Islamic sects just as their are many Christian denominations with widely differing beliefs. It is the height of ignorance and bigotry to ascribe to 1.5 billion Muslims the radical beliefs of a relatively small group of Islamic terrorist.

thsarcasm1.gif

Well, that explains everything. Hezbollah has always been known for their honesty....

Last edited:

Flopper, I admire your tolerance; ignoring an asshole such as Rabbi (who at best is willfully ignorant and filled with hate) is a model for all of us.

Asshole=someone with a knowledge of facts and argumentation skills.
Thanks, Wry. I will never, ever, call you an asshole!

I could go through the Bible and other holy books quoting prophets and scholars out of context, but this proves nothings. In religion it is the interpretation that church leaders give scriptures that form the cornerstone beliefs. In Christianity, there are a few verses that form the hallmark beliefs, while other passages are ignored or given a very liberal interpretation. I suspect this is true of Islam as is with all major religions.

As you are surely aware, there are many Islamic sects just as their are many Christian denominations with widely differing beliefs. It is the height of ignorance and bigotry to ascribe to 1.5 billion Muslims the radical beliefs of a relatively small group of Islamic terrorist.

Out of context? Please do these quotes you speak of.

This really is not the same thing. One, the synagogue was already there. They were just rebuilding it. Secondly, it was destroyed during a tussle that involved Israel in the first place. Had the Israelis attacked Lebanon for no reason and killed 1500 Lebanese and then asked to build a synagogue at ground zero where one had not existed this example would be more applicable.

... If Muslims can tolerate the building of a Synagogue in the middle of Beirut, just 4 years after the war, ...

NOT "The BUILDING" of it ~

the RE-BUILDING!

It wasn't erected as some sort of Victory Monument.
No, it's not a victory monument and neither is Cordoba House. It will only be a victory monument in the minds of those who can not see past their own hatred.

Unlike many countries we pride ourself on our tolerance, but our history of living up to this lofty goal is not so good. This issue was an opportunity for America to stand up and take a stand against intolerance, bigotry and ignorance. But no, we stirred up religious hatred for political gains.

I could go through the Bible and other holy books quoting prophets and scholars out of context, but this proves nothings.

You won't find anything even remotely approaching the above, but claiming you could is a good evasion. It's the last refuge for those who can't address the facts.

As for "context," there is no benign context for the above quotes. No amount of "context" alters what they say. They say exactly what they say. The fact that you can't confront what they actually say doesn't alter the fact that what they say has supplied the motivation for 1,400 years of murderous Jihad that has killed over 270 million people and wiped out entire civilizations.

There is only one Islam. Period. It has not changed for 1,400 years. It cannot be changed. It is considered divine, inviolable, and immutable by its devotees—whether you want to face that fact or not. Every atrocity committed in its name is an exact, precise orthodox practice of exactly what Literal Islam mandates for its followers.

I could go through the Bible and other holy books quoting prophets and scholars out of context, but this proves nothings.

You won't find anything even remotely approaching the above, but claiming you could is a good evasion. It's the last refuge for those who can't address the facts.

As for "context," there is no benign context for the above quotes. No amount of "context" alters what they say. They say exactly what they say. The fact that you can't confront what they actually say doesn't alter the fact that what they say has supplied the motivation for 1,400 years of murderous Jihad that has killed over 270 million people and wiped out entire civilizations.

There is only one Islam. Period. It has not changed for 1,400 years. It cannot be changed. It is considered divine, inviolable, and immutable by its devotees—whether you want to face that fact or not. Every atrocity committed in its name is an exact, precise orthodox practice of exactly what Literal Islam mandates for its followers.
Here are just a few from the Bible

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Biblical Intolerance

This really is not the same thing. One, the synagogue was already there. They were just rebuilding it. Secondly, it was destroyed during a tussle that involved Israel in the first place. Had the Israelis attacked Lebanon for no reason and killed 1500 Lebanese and then asked to build a synagogue at ground zero where one had not existed this example would be more applicable.
The 2006 Lebanese war killed at least 1,500 people, mostly Lebanese civilians, severely damaged Lebanese civil infrastructure, and displaced approximately one million Lebanese. It matters not whether the synagogue was being built or rebuild or who attacked first. The point is that these Muslims had ever reason in the world to tell the Jews what they could do with their synagogue, but they let them rebuild. This is real religious tolerance.

Forum List

Back