A Lesson in Tolerance

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flopper, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,295
    The rebuilding of the Maghen Abraham Synagogue was recently completed in downtown Beirut just 4 years after Israel attached Lebanon. The conflict killed at least 1,500 people, mostly Lebanese civilians, severely damaged civil infrastructure, and displaced approximately one million Lebanese.

The Lebanese people could have said locate your synagogue some place else. It disrespects the victims of the attack and will be a monument to the attackers. But they didn't. The project received the green light after political officials and community leaders became convinced it could show that Lebanon is an open country, tolerant of many faiths including Judaism. Maybe we have something to learn here, or maybe not.

Beirut synagogue restored to glory, despite tensions with Israel - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
    2006 Lebanon War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    The attempted parity here is simply appalling. Anyone falling for this is a world-class moron with galactic oak clusters.
    FAIL.

3. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,295
    Beirut is not where one would expect to find religious tolerance. If Muslims can tolerate the building of a Synagogue in the middle of Beirut, just 4 years after the war, America should be able tolerate a Muslim community center 2 blocks from ground zero 10 years after the attack.

I thought it was the Muslims that had so little religious tolerance.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    Funny Cars used to be called "floppers". True story dat.

[​IMG]

5. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East. It had a flowering cultural life and was an important banking center. That included a decent sized Jewish community.
    All of this came to an end with the rise of militant Islamics.

6. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,295
    Commenting on the synagogue, Hezbollah said that their fight was against the Israelis not their religion. It's too bad we can't see that our fight is against terrorism not Islam. Religious tolerance is something we would rather preach than practice.

7. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,156
    Flopper, I admire your tolerance; ignoring an asshole such as Rabbi (who at best is willfully ignorant and filled with hate) is a model for all of us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Great story OP

9. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    you do realize israel was attacked first in that war, two of their soldiers were taken

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Rezonator

Rezonator Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Let's check your answer and see how you scored, shall we?

"A Muslim is the brother of another Muslim and all the Muslims are brothers of one another and constitute one hand as against the non-Muslims." —Muhammad, 630 A.D. at the occupation of Mecca

"I was ordered to fight all men until they say 'there is no god but Allah.'" —Muhammad's farewell address, 632

"I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.'" —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 4:52:196 Narrated Abu Huraira

"He who fights so that Allah's Word (Islam) should be superior, then he fights in Allah's cause." —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 1:3:125 Narrated Abu Musa

"I asked the Prophet [Muhammad], 'What is the best deed?' He replied, 'To believe in Allah and to fight for His Cause.'" —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 3:46:694 Narrated Abu Dhar

"And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along withAllah)". —Hadith Sahih Bukhari 6:60:40 Narrated Nafi'

"Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers." —Quran 3.151

"I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them." —Quran 8:12

"Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know." —Quran 8:60

"O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them." —Quran 5:51

"Fight and slay the Unbelievers wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)" —Quran 9:5

"Islam wishes to destroy all states and governments anywhere on the face of the earth which are opposed to the ideology and program of Islam regardless of the country or the nation which rules it. The purpose of Islam is to set up a State on the basis of its own ideology and program." —Syed Abul A'ala Maududi

Wow! I'll have to give you a "Pass With Flying Colors" on that one! You got it 100% right! Go to the head of the class.