A just sentence?

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
Drunk driver who killed Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart gets 51 years to life

"You're right — I am a horrible person," Gallo told Orange County Superior Court Judge Richard Toohey before sentencing. "They had big, bright futures ahead of them. And because of me, they're gone."

Toohey gave prosecutors what they sought: consecutive sentences on three second-degree murder charges and other felonies stemming from the April 2009 crash that killed Adenhart, 22, and friends Courtney Stewart, 20, and Henry Pearson, 25. Jon Wilhite, 24, survived the crash but sustained major injuries.

On the night Adenhart pitched six scoreless innings, Gallo was out drinking with his stepbrother. Just past midnight, he barreled through a red light in Fullerton at 65 mph and rammed his minivan into a vehicle carrying the four friends.

Gallo fled on foot and was captured two miles from the scene. His blood-alcohol content was more than twice the legal limit more than two hours after the crash.

"Not only was he driving under the influence, he was obliterated," the judge said, noting that Gallo was on probation at the time for an earlier drunk driving conviction. "Mr. Gallo, you have devastated four families — really five families with your own."

courtneystewart2.jpg

Indeed, Jon Wilhite, the fourth person in Adenhart's car, shouldn't be alive. The violent collision ripped his skull from his spine, resulting in what doctors call internal decapitation. It is almost always fatal. When Wilhite arrived at the hospital after the savage accident, X-rays and a CAT scan showed that his head was held in place only by muscles and skin. But gentle work by paramedics gave a gifted surgeon the chance to literally screw Wilhite's head back on his body.

Read more: After the Angels' Adenhart Tragedy, Jon Wilhite Survives - TIME

The sentence fits the crime. I wish all drunk drivers got similar sentences.... maybe then we'd have less drunk drivers.

Hand on heart... I despise people who drive drunk. I don't mind if they kill themselves but they always seem to kill other people instead.

Drunk drivers get ZERO sympathy from me. Call a cab, get a DD, call MADD, better yet-don't drink if you're going to drive after. We need harsher drunk driving laws in this country.

I was (legally) crossing the street at a crosswalk, when one ran a red light, coming out of nowhere (going about 35mph) and sent me to the hospital for months, I almost died, and now have a metal rod in my leg, took me a year longer of college, couldn't even run for over a year, and I can never play contact ice hockey to the extent I used to (and I was very lucky). You know what the driver's excuse was? "I wasn't paying attention"-then had the nerve to attempt to sue me for damages done to her car. She didn't even get a ticket.

A lot of people don't think it's a big deal until they know someone who's effected by it. But like I said before I have NO sympathies for drunk drivers whatsoever-lock them up and let them rot in jail.

The sentence fits the crime. I wish all drunk drivers got similar sentences.... maybe then we'd have less drunk drivers.

Hand on heart... I despise people who drive drunk. I don't mind if they kill themselves but they always seem to kill other people instead.

Hypocrite! You've done it! Either drunk or high and you know you have. I've done it. Probably 90% of the people on this board have done it.

Hypocrite! You've done it! Either drunk or high and you know you have. I've done it. Probably 90% of the people on this board have done it.

Fuck off accusing me of that shit. I have never, ever, had so much as one drink if I'm driving.

he would have only gotten about 15 and serve 8 years if a sports figure had not been involved is the sad part.

Fuck off accusing me of that shit. I have never, ever, had so much as one drink if I'm driving.

Pot, meth, crack?

Yep very sad all around.
Inattentative driving from one source or another kills someone every 13 minutes in America.'
this includes messing with the kids, cell phones, etc.

Last edited:

Pot, meth, crack?

Don't project your own pathetic addictions on to me, asshole. I don't do drugs. I rarely drink alcohol. My life is fine, I don't need crutches.

Yep he got more time than most cold blooder intentional murders.

Life without parole for killing someone while texting.

I'd be a tad more generous. I would say '25 years, no parole' for anyone convicted of killing someone while drunk, stoned or using a cell phone while driving.

Only 'Drunk' is easily provable among those three, and there's some discrepancy on what qualifies as 'Drunk.' In this case there's reasonable certainty the guy was 'Drunk,' and reasonable certainty that he caused the crash. BUT, what if those facts weren't so clear-cut? What if the sober pitcher had blown the red light and this guy T-boned him with a BAC of .12?

As you see, this is not as clear cut as you'd like it to be. A blanket sentence like that rarely is.

Life without parole for killing someone while texting.

I'd be a tad more generous. I would say '25 years, no parole' for anyone convicted of killing someone while drunk, stoned or using a cell phone while driving.

Only 'Drunk' is easily provable among those three, and there's some discrepancy on what qualifies as 'Drunk.' In this case there's reasonable certainty the guy was 'Drunk,' and reasonable certainty that he caused the crash. BUT, what if those facts weren't so clear-cut? What if the sober pitcher had blown the red light and this guy T-boned him with a BAC of .12?

As you see, this is not as clear cut as you'd like it to be. A blanket sentence like that rarely is.

Easy. Made it a zero tolerance policy. One drink, that's the sentence.

I fully expected that from you. Everything's black and white.

I fully expected that from you. Everything's black and white.

A vehicle is no different from a gun. Both are weapons in the hands of certain people. I have zero tolerance towards people who kill others with either. Where's the gray? It's quite straightforward.

Forum List

Back