A important issue - Candidate health

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/20/us/politics/20health.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Interesting article that expresses some concerns on all four candidates such as Joe Biden's brain aneurysm past history and whether it can happen again along with Barack Obama's smoking problem. (Though he did quit smoking in 2007, he has "bummed" cigarettes since.) - Posted this part to be fair of course.

The most interesting part of the article to me though:

Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, 44, Mr. McCain’s running mate, has released no medical information.

Nothing is known publicly about Ms. Palin’s medical history, aside from the much-discussed circumstances surrounding the birth of her fifth child last April. Ms. Palin has said that her water broke while she was at a conference in Dallas and that she flew to Anchorage, where she gave birth to her son Trig hours after landing.

Last week Maria Comella, a spokeswoman for Ms. Palin, said the governor declined to be interviewed or provide any health records.

Oh Sawwah, is there something your not telling us?

She is an alien! Just kidding! I think it is just another way she is protesting the media!

She is an alien! Just kidding! I think it is just another way she is protesting the media!

Well I thought maybe she was a woman..Post OP ;) :badgrin:

Though really, if there is anything big in her past then it is probably the big A word.

I hear you!

- The prevalence of diabetes among African Americans is about 70% higher than among white Americans.
- Infant mortality rates are twice as high for African Americans as for white Americans.
- The 5-year survival rate for cancer among African Americans diagnosed for 1986-1992 was about 44%, compared with 59% for white Americans.
- African Americans develop high blood pressure more often than whites, and it tends to occur earlier and be more severe. In fact, 35 percent of African Americans suffer from high blood pressure, which accounts for 20 percent of deaths among blacks in he U.S., twice the figure for whites.

The list goes on and on...

African American Health Care and Medical Information
http://www.allaboutblackhealth.com/Fastfacts.htm

When it came out that Thomas Eagleton had electric shock therapy, he was dropped from the ticket.

What is Sarah hiding?

I hear you!

- The prevalence of diabetes among African Americans is about 70% higher than among white Americans.
- Infant mortality rates are twice as high for African Americans as for white Americans.
- The 5-year survival rate for cancer among African Americans diagnosed for 1986-1992 was about 44%, compared with 59% for white Americans.
- African Americans develop high blood pressure more often than whites, and it tends to occur earlier and be more severe. In fact, 35 percent of African Americans suffer from high blood pressure, which accounts for 20 percent of deaths among blacks in he U.S., twice the figure for whites.

The list goes on and on...

African American Health Care and Medical Information
Allaboutblackhealth Fast Facts

And when income is corrected for, all those disappear. Funny you don't mention that.

And when income is corrected for, all those disappear. Funny you don't mention that.

It has nothing to do with income. The two main factors are:

1. Genetics
2. Lifestyle

Did you realize that:

- Single female-headed families are far more likely in Black homes than in all other groups' homes
- Black families are less likely to contain a married couple than all other groups
- Black males and females are more likely to be unmarried than Whites, Hispanics, or American Indian/Alaskan Natives
- Black individuals are far more likely than Whites and Hispanics to be divorced

Who's fault is that?

You conservatives do know that if John McCain were elected with Sarah Palin, and something happened to them both, you'd be looking at President Pelosi. Now if THAT doesn't scare you into urging Palin and McCain to disclose their medical records, I don't know what will!

1. Genetics
2. Lifestyle

Did you realize that:

- Single female-headed families are far more likely in Black homes than in all other groups' homes
- Black families are less likely to contain a married couple than all other groups
- Black males and females are more likely to be unmarried than Whites, Hispanics, or American Indian/Alaskan Natives
- Black individuals are far more likely than Whites and Hispanics to be divorced

Who's fault is that?

Go away, racist. It has everything to do with income.

1. Genetics
2. Lifestyle

Did you realize that:

Who's fault is that?

What do any of those statistics have to do with Obama? It is obvious that none of them apply to Obama. Lifestyle is DIRECTLY tied to income, so your argument makes little to no sense. All of your earlier statistics are also tied to income and the type of medical care they have access to. I go look up the statistics for poor whites/hispanics/asians and they will be almost exactly the same. Proper medical care and access cause override genetics to a large degree.

What do any of those statistics have to do with Obama? It is obvious that none of them apply to Obama. Lifestyle is DIRECTLY tied to income, so your argument makes little to no sense. All of your earlier statistics are also tied to income and the type of medical care they have access to. I go look up the statistics for poor whites/hispanics/asians and they will be almost exactly the same. Proper medical care and access cause override genetics to a large degree.

Obama is African-American. This thread is about the candidate's health. I was merely pointing out that we should also be concerned about Obama's health, especially since he has been a smoker most of his life.

Obama is African-American. This thread is about the candidate's health. I was merely pointing out that we should also be concerned about Obama's health, especially since he has been a smoker most of his life.

It is convenient that you completely ignored the main point of everyone's post. Yes, Obama is black, but none of the statistics you mentioned applied to him. Income is a greater factor in someone's health then race is. Even you should be able to understand that.

On the point about smoking; if someone was the quit smoking or cut back dramatically, the harmful effects of smoking are eventually negated by the human body's natural cleansing process. Irregardless, Obama probably will not be seeing the harmful effects of his smoking for another ten years. At least he is not in his seventies. McCain has already had cancer and suffers for many ailments related back to his days in the navy and beyond. Besides, if Obama was to die in office, at least I know Biden could take over and do a good job. The same cannot be said for Palin. She would run this country right into the ground.

I bet she had an abortion.

That's what my money is on IF anything.

Though it wouldn't be the reason she eloped with Todd. She had Track out of wedlock.

Republican Family Values, Whoo-ah! :lol:

Last edited:
It is convenient that you completely ignored the main point of everyone's post. Yes, Obama is black, but none of the statistics you mentioned applied to him. Income is a greater factor in someone's health then race is. Even you should be able to understand that.

I've already covered that. It's genetics and lifestyle. He can't change his genetics, and he chose to smoke for years.

On the point about smoking; if someone was the quit smoking or cut back dramatically, the harmful effects of smoking are eventually negated by the human body's natural cleansing process. Irregardless, Obama probably will not be seeing the harmful effects of his smoking for another ten years.

Not always. He is still at risk.

Forum List

Back