A history question: when prime time television starts

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I wonder how come in the Eastern and Western time zones it starts at 8pm (news at 11pm) but in the Midwest and mountain time zone it starts at 7pm (news at 10pm) ??

Its probably a simple answer and had something to do with farmers and ranchers going to bed early and waking up before the sun came out.

I wonder how come in the Eastern and Western time zones it starts at 8pm (news at 11pm) but in the Midwest and mountain time zone it starts at 7pm (news at 10pm) ??

Its probably a simple answer and had something to do with farmers and ranchers going to bed early and waking up before the sun came out.

Never thought about it but perhaps it is because the middle of the country is mostly farm land and those folks need to get up before the crack of dawn? Thus prime time starts an hour early there. So that's my guess too.

Perhaps I'll get curious later and try to look it up.

I know time zones and why just curious why the difference when prime time television starts

Maybe everything is recorded eastern time and local affiliates in other timezones rebroadcast what has already been broadcast in eastern time.

I do know that FOX records their morning shows at around 4am because we used to have to coordinate with our people when they set up at their own locations for live interviews recorded in NY. Then they broadcast the recording at 6am. Then the other time zones rebroadcast the recording at later times according to their zones.

I don't know who decides when the rebroadcast occurs, though. Good question.

I'll bet it's not the market. Ha.

Last edited:

I don't know, but the little bit of searching I have done indicates it at least started because of the idea that the middle of the country has a lot of farmers who need to get up early. Even if that is how it began, it may just be a matter of tradition at this point, with no driving need to be changed. :dunno:

Forum List

Back