A History of Liberal Disasters

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:eusa_shifty:

By Jeffrey Lord
Published 11/6/2007 12:07:43 AM

It's a long list.

Add Hillary Clinton's endorsement of driver's licenses for illegal immigrants ("it makes sense") to a very long list.

The list? A seemingly unending series of bad policy proposals and loopy values that liberals have championed during the course of decades. What all of these subjects have in common is that they upended common sense in favor of a fit of moral superiority and emotional feel-goodism. They are a history of liberal disasters. All backfired or were proved dead wrong. Sometimes they were outright lethal. Collectively they are part and parcel of the real reason the once honorable term "liberal" has won such disdain from so many Americans when it isn't being hooted out of a serious policy discussion with laughter. And lying just under the surface of all the current crop of polls that predict a Democrat victory in the race for the White House is the lurking reality that any candidate who makes a point of flying the liberal flag stands a serious chance of being defeated outright. Why, after all, do you think Senator Clinton hemmed and hawed her way through the driver's license issue in last week's debate?

Here's just a handful of my personal favorites:
* Forced School Busing

read the rest at..
http://spectator.org/util/print.asp?art_id=12269

:eusa_shifty:

By Jeffrey Lord
Published 11/6/2007 12:07:43 AM

It's a long list.

Add Hillary Clinton's endorsement of driver's licenses for illegal immigrants ("it makes sense") to a very long list.

The list? A seemingly unending series of bad policy proposals and loopy values that liberals have championed during the course of decades. What all of these subjects have in common is that they upended common sense in favor of a fit of moral superiority and emotional feel-goodism. They are a history of liberal disasters. All backfired or were proved dead wrong. Sometimes they were outright lethal. Collectively they are part and parcel of the real reason the once honorable term "liberal" has won such disdain from so many Americans when it isn't being hooted out of a serious policy discussion with laughter. And lying just under the surface of all the current crop of polls that predict a Democrat victory in the race for the White House is the lurking reality that any candidate who makes a point of flying the liberal flag stands a serious chance of being defeated outright. Why, after all, do you think Senator Clinton hemmed and hawed her way through the driver's license issue in last week's debate?

Here's just a handful of my personal favorites:
* Forced School Busing

read the rest at..
http://spectator.org/util/print.asp?art_id=12269

Makes perfect sense. It is illegal for you to be physically present on US soil, but we're going to license you to drive a motor vehicle on our roads courtesy of the taxpaying US citizen.:cuckoo:

Makes perfect sense. It is illegal for you to be physically present on US soil, but we're going to license you to drive a motor vehicle on our roads courtesy of the taxpaying US citizen.:cuckoo:

But don't blame it on the liberals. blame it on Hilary's hill-of-beans.

Actually, I heard Elliot Spitzer discussing this the other day. His position is that they're driving anyway and can't get insurance because they're unlicensed. As a result, it places a burden on other drivers and insurance companies, and companies like MVAIC, which then have to insure their people through uninsured motorist coverage.

I don't really have an opinion on this one, but it's not an absurd argument.

Now... about those "liberal disasters".. you mean like Iraq? the squandering of hundreds of billions of dollars a year? The national debt as it exists today as opposed to 7 years ago? torture of detainees? rendition of prisoners? warrantless wiretapping? no habeus corpus?

Yah... thought so. ;)

Not a very imaginative piece, if you are going to go after the source of all the good we are as a society, the least he could have done is start with 18th liberal philosophy, the underpinnings of the current society we live in.

But let me review his own personal dislikes. Always odd that people have so broad a personal list, you wonder did they do all these things and find them bad or is this just wingnut rhetoric. You could, given time, counter every number he gives as pure BS. Notice no references, typical dummy.

Forced School Busing

The courts did this to remedy a situation that still exists. And while it was not the perfect solution it probably accomplished more than it is given credit for.

Welfare

This is one of the great accomplishments of modern society, again not perfect, nothing is, but the statistics for reduced poverty after LBJ were enormous. Sometimes you need a little help. Great idea and a genuine Christian thing to do.

Luxury Tax

So! If you own a Ferrari and a Bentley and you get taxed on your wastefulness is that so bad. Knowing many wealthy people I laugh when I read these things. It ain't hurting them folks.

Alternative Minimum Tax

Again so! Not sure when all this happened, but again, no one who is in the upper ranks is suffering. Do people like this wingnut con live in caves.

Bringing Peace to Vietnam and Cambodia

I think that was Nixon who was elected for his plan to end this, that eventually turned into a quick departure. This was an attempt to prop up a corrupt regime, that it failed has nothing to do with liberals.

Free Love

HAHA - where'd he hear this one? Sex is sex is sex and even though most righties deny the reality for themselves, liberals can't take credit for the pill and changes that have made sex more open. Wish we could.:razz:

Drugs

This is probably the most absurd, not sure he realizes it but drugs existed long before the sixties, remember prohibition. Can we call that period of stupidity a conservative accomplishment. :rofl:

Read carefully the only fault is caring for people and attempts at justice. Now match those goals with Reagan / Bush / Bush and you have what: Corporate welfare, separation of rich and poor, and a lack of concern for American workers. I'll take the liberal faults anytime.

Oh, by the way a few more liberal accomplishments:

http://www.cjnetworks.com/~cubsfan/libgood.html

Actually, I heard Elliot Spitzer discussing this the other day. His position is that they're driving anyway and can't get insurance because they're unlicensed. As a result, it places a burden on other drivers and insurance companies, and companies like MVAIC, which then have to insure their people through uninsured motorist coverage.

I don't really have an opinion on this one, but it's not an absurd argument.

Now... about those "liberal disasters".. you mean like Iraq? the squandering of hundreds of billions of dollars a year? The national debt as it exists today as opposed to 7 years ago? torture of detainees? rendition of prisoners? warrantless wiretapping? no habeus corpus?

Yah... thought so. ;)

The argument is ridiculous.

You need to address your liberal disasters to the author of the thread, not me. However, I don't see that you have listed any disasters ... merely the left's slanted verison of events.

Not a very imaginative piece, if you are going to go after the source of all the good we are as a society, the least he could have done is start with 18th liberal philosophy, the underpinnings of the current society we live in.

But let me review his own personal dislikes. Always odd that people have so broad a personal list, you wonder did they do all these things and find them bad or is this just wingnut rhetoric. You could, given time, counter every number he gives as pure BS. Notice no references, typical dummy.

Forced School Busing

The courts did this to remedy a situation that still exists. And while it was not the perfect solution it probably accomplished more than it is given credit for.

What, exactly did it do that is positive? You like white flight?

Welfare

This is one of the great accomplishments of modern society, again not perfect, nothing is, but the statistics for reduced poverty after LBJ were enormous. Sometimes you need a little help. Great idea and a genuine Christian thing to do.

Hold on, there's the Berlin Wall of Separation of Church and State.

Luxury Tax

So! If you own a Ferrari and a Bentley and you get taxed on your wastefulness is that so bad. Knowing many wealthy people I laugh when I read these things. It ain't hurting them folks.

Taxes are taxes. America has a rich history of not wanting to pay up. It has to do with our lust for property rights and former commitments to limited government.

Alternative Minimum Tax

Again so! Not sure when all this happened, but again, no one who is in the upper ranks is suffering. Do people like this wingnut con live in caves.

I'm not well-read on this matter

Bringing Peace to Vietnam and Cambodia

I think that was Nixon who was elected for his plan to end this, that eventually turned into a quick departure. This was an attempt to prop up a corrupt regime, that it failed has nothing to do with liberals.

Pretty much both sides screwed up, but LBJ escalated.

Free Love

HAHA - where'd he hear this one? Sex is sex is sex and even though most righties deny the reality for themselves, liberals can't take credit for the pill and changes that have made sex more open. Wish we could.:razz:

This is not a response at all. As I like to say when people joke about conservative's not having sex: "No, conservatives have sex, its liberals who don't have sex, liberals get laid." Free Sex (more accurate term) is about having sex without committment or love. This was a liberal reform to society. What part did conservatism play in this particular reform?

Drugs

This is probably the most absurd, not sure he realizes it but drugs existed long before the sixties, remember prohibition. Can we call that period of stupidity a conservative accomplishment. :rofl:

Aw, but remember, prohibition was a product of the progressive era. Naturally there were liberals and conservatives on both sides, but the 20's conservatism was a reaction to the Wilsonian period of the progressive era.

Forum List

Back