A healthcare dilema

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
So I know this person whose young adult son is disabled from the workforce. He can't afford health insurance so he just sits at home hoping one day his condition will get better. The father of this son believes that soon, under the new health care law, he'll be able to put his son on his policy and not have the pre-existing conditions effect it, and his son will get to see a doctor and have his conditioned cared for and hopefully fixed so he can return to the workforce. The father in this case votes Republican.

My question is - should I inform him that he is voting against his son's interests, or wait until Obamacare is repealed or struck down and have him find out the hard way?

Somehow....if this board is actually a realistic segment of the GOP....it won't matter much what you say. The bottom line is that this is the greatest, wealthiest and most powerful country on the planet...there's no reason that people have to go broke when they get sick or injured. The mist foolish thing we've ever done was to make the health care system a "for profit" system. It virtually guarantees ever increasing costs and/or decreasing coverage.

But I digress...yeah try to tell him...see what happens.

Didn't the provision that allows 26 year olds on parents' insurance already go into effect?

So I know this person whose young adult son is disabled from the workforce. He can't afford health insurance so he just sits at home hoping one day his condition will get better. The father of this son believes that soon, under the new health care law, he'll be able to put his son on his policy and not have the pre-existing conditions effect it, and his son will get to see a doctor and have his conditioned cared for and hopefully fixed so he can return to the workforce. The father in this case votes Republican.

My question is - should I inform him that he is voting against his son's interests, or wait until Obamacare is repealed or struck down and have him find out the hard way?

You should inform him that Obama should have found a constitutional manner in which to pay for Obamacare. BTW September 23 of 2010 those with preexisting conditions became eligible for Obamacare and your friends son should have already been covered up to age 19 and...

U.S. health plans to keep some reforms, however court rules

U.S. health plans to keep some reforms, however court rules - Yahoo! News Canada

Obama should have insisted.upon the Public Option....and told Big Pharma to go scratch their collective assessed instead of pandering to them. That's my biggest gripe about his presidency...he had the momentum and political capital to it...but he went wishy-washy.

Obama should have insisted.upon the Public Option....and told Big Pharma to go scratch their collective assessed instead of pandering to them. That's my biggest gripe about his presidency...he had the momentum and political capital to it...but he went wishy-washy.

Yeah and we should all have a lawyer on retainer, and we should all get Ferraris and of course unicorns will fly outta your butt.

Wow, you "know" a fictional circumstance.
I'm impressed.
Are you related to Mr Obama? He "knows" lots of fictional circumstances also.

Wow, you "know" a fictional circumstance.
I'm impressed.
Are you related to Mr Obama? He "knows" lots of fictional circumstances also.

His whole ideology is fiction.

CaféAuLait;5508329 said:

You should inform him that Obama should have found a constitutional manner in which to pay for Obamacare. BTW September 23 of 2010 those with preexisting conditions became eligible for Obamacare and your friends son should have already been covered up to age 19 and...

How is the law unconstitutional? We're obliged to buy auto insurance. What's going to happen if someone calls an ambulance, but doesn't have insurance? Will the ambulance or emergency room be able to "opt out" of caring for them? If not, aren't you just enabling freeloaders?

CaféAuLait;5508329 said:

How is the law unconstitutional? We're obliged to buy auto insurance. What's going to happen if someone calls an ambulance, but doesn't have insurance? Will the ambulance or emergency room be able to "opt out" of caring for them? If not, aren't you just enabling freeloaders?

Well I dont care for the insurance law, BUT you dont have to drive a car. How do I not buy health insurance under this plan without being penalized?

CaféAuLait;5508329 said:

Can pedestrians “opt out” of mandatory health-insurance coverage? You can have a DL and you do not have to have insurance. Furthermore auto insurance is a state issue. Each state sets the minimum bodily injury and property damage liability coverage requirements as it deems appropriate.

Also liability insurance gives no benefit to the policyholder beyond their risk. Liability is mandated but protects ANOTHER. The state does not care how you will replace YOUR car or your own medical problems, just the person you might damage or their property. Banks require collision coverage and banks are not the government. Banks are the lien holders with an interest in the collateral, i.e., your salary and or their car. If you choose not to drive you do not have to have car insurance.

Yeah and we should all have a lawyer on retainer, and we should all get Ferraris and of course unicorns will fly outta your butt.

Think what you want douchebag...every one of our global competitors have a national health care program...that's a cost that workers of those countries don't have to worry about. Here, on the other hand the cost of health insurance can go over 12k/year for a family....sometimes higher. That increases the cost of wages.....of course, there is the "let them die" option...which is obviously your fucking preference.

CaféAuLait;5508329 said:

If I drive down the road in my car, everybody else on the road (or sidewalk) is at risk, thus I have auto insurance.
Now, how is my perfectly healthy body putting you at risk?

Think what you want douchebag...every one of our global competitors have a national health care program...that's a cost that workers of those countries don't have to worry about. Here, on the other hand the cost of health insurance can go over 12k/year for a family....sometimes higher. That increases the cost of wages.....of course, there is the "let them die" option...which is obviously your fucking preference.

yeah and their healthcare sucks, if you're old, you might as well kill yourself, cuz they'll let you die, and you get to wait. I mean in this country we have a waiting list for kidney transplants, cant wait to have that type of list for a cold....woooohoooo

Really?
Do you want China's health plan? (Last I looked, China is the predominant global competitor).

There are many ways to create a viable healthcare system. ObamaCare is not an either/or choice. If ObamaCare goes away, that does not mean we return to the status quo. It also does not mean the only viable alternative is UHC.

We need to tear down the entire healthcare management system we currently have, and rebuild from scratch.

First, eliminate employer provided healthcare. It bends the cost curve up, and is an unworkable labor union perk that is obsolete.

Someone mentioned auto insurance. Well, when you buy auto or home or life insurance, you pick which options you want covered, and your premiums reflect the costs of the options you chooose. You can also live in California and buy insurance from a company based out of Virginia. There is no reason why you should not be able to do that with health insurance.

Second, raise the Medicare eligibility age and index it to life expectancy. The eligibility age needs to be a minimum of 70. Changing the age from 65 to 70 means you pay into the system five years longer and draw out from it five years less.

We are living far longer than when Social Security and Medicare were created, we must work longer.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;5508329 said:

Seriously?
This lame-ass argument again???

Auto insurance is on the condition of buying a car. No one is forced to buy a car.
Obamacare is on the condition of being fucking BORN!!!

:cuckoo:

You should inform your friend regardless, even if the ACA is upheld – which won’t happen – that won’t be the end of it. Republicans will double their effort to repeal the law or change it to the point of being useless.

Forum List

Back