A hand up or a hand out?

Helping hand or not?

• Let them become a thief and hope it is not you?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Thinking about EZ's thread about are you a good person reminded me of a lot of things over the years. My husband Rod is a good person in my eyes. A few years back we were down in Texas for the winter. We decided to go down to the Mexico border since we were there already and had not been that far south before in our travels.

We were returning from walking through the downtown area of the border town there and as we approached the pickup we could see a man making a beeline for the truck. He was coming from the opposite direction and did not see us as he reached for the pickup door. He did not see Hos either obviously. As he touched the truck door handle Hos jumped up from the back seat and let out his very intimidating growl woof. You can imagine what a 200lb dog's bark can be. The guy was in shock and he appeared to be petrified into the position where he was when Hos woofed.

Rod asked him, "Can I help you?" The guy spun around. He was still shaking. He said something in Spanish as to say he did not understand. Rod reached in his pocket and pulled out a few dollars and handed it to the guy. The guy bowed his head as to thank Rod and he scurried off.

We got into the pickup and calmed Hos down. Then Rod pulled out of the parking lot onto the street so we could head back to where we were staying. As the pickup rounded the corner we saw the guy who had intended on breaking into the pickup walking out of a bread store with a small grocery bag of tortilla's.

So I pose this questions to everyone here.

Would you prefer to give someone a handout rather than put them in a situation they must steal when they have no other options left?

Or would you prefer that the become a theif and simply hope that you are not their victim?

Would you prefer to give someone a handout rather than put them in a situation they must steal when they have no other options left?
Or would you prefer that the become a theif and simply hope that you are not their victim?

RodISHI, you sound like a person with a kind heart, but people who are able-bodied always have options. I wouldn't mind helping someone to find a job, but I wouldn't pay that person off just because I would be afraid he might resort to stealing.

I took the subway 5 days a week a one time to get to work. While my heart would go out to the people who panhandled on the subways, I never gave them a dollar if I saw that they were able-bodied. Occasionally, a musician with a hat out would get a bill, but that was the extent. Begging is not the American way and shouldn't be encouraged.

RodISHI, you sound like a person with a kind heart, but people who are able-bodied always have options. I wouldn't mind helping someone to find a job, but I wouldn't pay that person off just because I would be afraid he might resort to stealing.

I took the subway 5 days a week a one time to get to work. While my heart would go out to the people who panhandled on the subways, I never gave them a dollar if I saw that they were able-bodied. Occasionally, a musician with a hat out would get a bill, but that was the extent. Begging is not the American way and shouldn't be encouraged.
I would disagree with you people do not always have those options. I'm not sure that you see the full scope of the problem here. There are not always jobs or places for that a person can work for a living. Just being able bodied does not make the availability of jobs so a person can get that job to support themselves.

Through the 80's into and through the 90's I can say I have in certain situations felt the same as you do. Then on the other hand I spent a lot of years in a position that afforded me the opportunity to see many aspects of peoples lives. On a regular basis I would see families and people stranded and in need. I also saw and have met a lot of panhandlers. The rest areas were full of them. On a whole though the ones who were in need normally would not ask for any help. When I took the time to get to know them I learned they were looking for work. I saw many living in their cars trying to get to a place where they could find work. I saw families that had tragedy hit and they just could not get over the hump to even be in the position to get out of their cars into a house of some kind.

As for the story. It was not a payoff as the guy in that instant could not have stolen anything from us. Although possibly he could from another down the line. The man was so skinny PC it was obvious he was starving. I may not have considered so much but the fact is we saw him coming out of a bread store. The moment he had a few dollars in his hand he headed for a store to buy some bread.

Last edited:
What happens in Mexico could be far different than what happen here. Perhaps this is why people feel the way they do here.

TV news shows do expose's all the time on the road-side beggars (will work for food). Give them food, they say no. They just want money. Then they are followed and it's usually for alcohol.

I have given to the sidewalk musician at times. I rarely give to beggars.

I have and will continue to do this though. If I am in line at Wally World or the grocery and see someone - who is obviously buying for their family - who has come up short of funds to buy their items, (providing there isn't beer, etc), I will make up the difference.

What happens in Mexico could be far different than what happen here. Perhaps this is why people feel the way they do here.

TV news shows do expose's all the time on the road-side beggars (will work for food). Give them food, they say no. They just want money. Then they are followed and it's usually for alcohol.

I have given to the sidewalk musician at times. I rarely give to beggars.

I have and will continue to do this though. If I am in line at Wally World or the grocery and see someone - who is obviously buying for their family - who has come up short of funds to buy their items, (providing there isn't beer, etc), I will make up the difference.
My daughter has done the same when she has seen someone short at the grocery store.

Actually we were on this side of the border. There were very few jobs in Texas and we discovered they did not pay much for experiences heavy equipment operators either. Low pay rate in Florida for operators also.

I would disagree with you people do not always have those options. I'm not sure that you see the full scope of the problem here. There are not always jobs or places for that a person can work for a living. Just being able bodied does not make the availability of jobs so a person can get that job to support themselves.

Through the 80's into and through the 90's I can say I have in certain situations felt the same as you do. Then on the other hand I spent a lot of years in a position that afforded me the opportunity to see many aspects of peoples lives. On a regular basis I would see families and people stranded and in need. I also saw and have met a lot of panhandlers. The rest areas were full of them. On a whole though the ones who were in need normally would not ask for any help. When I took the time to get to know them I learned they were looking for work. I saw many living in their cars trying to get to a place where they could find work. I saw families that had tragedy hit and they just could not get over the hump to even be in the position to get out of their cars into a house of some kind.

As for the story. It was not a payoff as the guy in that instant could not have stolen anything from us. Although possibly he could from another down the line. The man was so skinny PC it was obvious he was starving. I may not have considered so much but the fact is we saw him coming out of a bread store. The moment he had a few dollars in his hand he headed for a store to buy some bread.

I was referring to situations here in the U.S. But if I did see someone who was obviously starving, I might provide a meal for that person.

I've seen cases here in America where people have offered to buy panhandlers food, but they refuse it because they only want cash to pay for their habit.

I was referring to situations here in the U.S. But if I did see someone who was obviously starving, I might provide a meal for that person.

I've seen cases here in America where people have offered to buy panhandlers food, but they refuse it because they only want cash to pay for their habit.
Rod hands them my cookies. I put Bibles behind the seat when I've worked in KC and a coupon for a free dog at the Quik Trip in the pages.

you fucking neo con bitch. :evil: .and i mean that in the highest regard.....corporations are begging...politicans are begging..(earmarks)..churches are begging...hell anything is the fucking american way it is begging...vets have to beg for decent medical care....i could just go on and on....

plus arent you a christian..does the bible say..what you do to the least of my breathen you do to me? didnt jesus say that? :eusa_shhh:

feel free to call me a liberal fucking bitch....but at least my soul is full of neo con holes....

you fucking neo con bitch. :evil: .and i mean that in the highest regard.....corporations are begging...politicans are begging..(earmarks)..churches are begging...hell anything is the fucking american way it is begging...vets have to beg for decent medical care....i could just go on and on....

plus arent you a christian..does the bible say..what you do to the least of my breathen you do to me? didnt jesus say that? :eusa_shhh:

feel free to call me a liberal fucking bitch....but at least my soul is full of neo con holes....

First of all, I don't know why I was singled out. Burp pretty much made the same reply.

Strollingbones, resort to name-calling if you choose, but I will not endorse anyone begging for something that can be earned whether it be individuals or corporations.

From the tone that you take in your post, you sound as though you are looking down on me for taking this stance. I was at the recent tax day tea party protest, voicing my dissatisfaction of how the government caved into bailing out our corporations. Were you there? What have you done to voice your dissatisfaction? Talk is cheap.

So you can take your condescending tone and shove it. I'm a generous person and I have given my money and time to those charities that need it so don't play the name game. I am Christian and a proud Christian. I have done nothing that would disgrace my religion. My religion believes in charity, so please get off your high horse. And let's keep in mind all this is coming from a person that doesn't even have religion to call her own.

i worked for the obama campaign does that count?

april 15, i was filing and paying my taxes...

a patriot pays taxes grudeonly..

i am not looking down on anyone...i am simply saying begging is the american way....

i just dont see how you can deny that at this point...

burp? the guy with the fucking cowbell?

i miss againshelia....she forced me not to cuss...sorry about that....

but i still think that the ....dont beg its not the american way is so off base.. it always amazes me how many people are collecting ss disability...i dont care about the blind etc...the truly needy...but i will say this.. a blind friend of mine, works...what pisses me off about ss....the damned druggies collecting it...get off your ass like everyone else and pay for your damned drugs...dont steal my shit...to do it either...but i do not see people having pride like that anymore...people dont care to "beg"...i guess i am a "sucker" i would rather err on the side of being taken advantage of ..giving someone a buck..than err on the side of someone going hungry cause i didnt cough up a buck...now i will openly say this..when i am at work..your chances of me..giving you jack shit or slim or fat...but it aint happening....ciggies and beer are not necessary...but if someone is pan handling on the streets...i will give them money...but the begging begins at the top and works its way down

so what does it explain..did you work for any campaign since pc is asking....i simply read most of pc's post...seems most of yours are about cowbells.. what to say there?

so what does it explain..did you work for any campaign since pc is asking....i simply read most of pc's post...seems most of yours are about cowbells.. what to say there?

404 of my posts are about cowbells?

Thinking about EZ's thread about are you a good person reminded me of a lot of things over the years. My husband Rod is a good person in my eyes. A few years back we were down in Texas for the winter. We decided to go down to the Mexico border since we were there already and had not been that far south before in our travels.

We were returning from walking through the downtown area of the border town there and as we approached the pickup we could see a man making a beeline for the truck. He was coming from the opposite direction and did not see us as he reached for the pickup door. He did not see Hos either obviously. As he touched the truck door handle Hos jumped up from the back seat and let out his very intimidating growl woof. You can imagine what a 200lb dog's bark can be. The guy was in shock and he appeared to be petrified into the position where he was when Hos woofed.

Rod asked him, "Can I help you?" The guy spun around. He was still shaking. He said something in Spanish as to say he did not understand. Rod reached in his pocket and pulled out a few dollars and handed it to the guy. The guy bowed his head as to thank Rod and he scurried off.

We got into the pickup and calmed Hos down. Then Rod pulled out of the parking lot onto the street so we could head back to where we were staying. As the pickup rounded the corner we saw the guy who had intended on breaking into the pickup walking out of a bread store with a small grocery bag of tortilla's.

So I pose this questions to everyone here.

Or would you prefer that the become a theif and simplyi hope that you are not their victim?

I don't see how you can possibly know in advance if someone is going to be a criminal.

that said, if who homeless dude or lady needs a couple bucks from me to buy something helpful and useful, I'd rather give it to them, than worry about the 5 homeless people who might take my money and buy cigarettes. Punishing the one truly needy person because of paranoia that three dudes might rip me off just seem fucking petty to me.

As for begging, we've got Governors like Sarah Palin, and Arnold Schwarzennegger begging for so-called pork tax dollars. We've got multi billion dollar defense contractors and Halliburtons begging for government contracts and tax dollars. We've got wall street billionaires begging for public tax dollars. Am I going to stress out about a dude or a lady who asks for a buck? I don't think so.

Americans are the most giving people on the planet. I think even stingy Joe Biden would give them a handout if they had no other options left and they had the means to do so. I know we do.

Americans are the most giving people on the planet. I think even stingy Joe Biden would give them a handout if they had no other options left and they had the means to do so. I know we do.

Thank X. Key being viable "options". Providing an opportunity and applying that on a one on one basis.

I agree with you on a whole Americans are very generous. On the other hand I can see the abuse that can take hold if accountability is not asked for.

I do agree with the fact some already pointed out here that corporate welfare is a much bigger problem than the begger on the street or the woman on welfare taking care of children.

I was one of those women on welfare when my children were young. So when it comes to saying yea or ney i be on the yea side for giving people a helping hand.

In time I ended up an employer of over forty people. Those people were in all kinds of situations ranging from going to school for their degrees to ones who already had their degrees, mom's and grandmom's supplementing their income and men and/or women supporting their children and family.

Whenever I saw someone who needed help or work I always tried to give them something.

Not saying everyone has to do that but the world sure is a nicer place when people are not forced into dire situations such as we have at the moment with so many out of work or those working two jobs to make ends meet left in the position where they have no time for their children.

People asking for an equal opportunity is not asking to much. I remember when I was blacklisted for three years for complaining about sexual harrassment. I was afforded the opportunity to meet one of the head honcho's in a meeting. It insulted me when the first thing he said was, "You know we have special program in road construction for women like you." I flamed back without thinking, I am am not asking for any special treatment. All I am asking for is a level playing field. I don't know anything about road construction. I do know how to take care of buildings and parks though.

On a whole that is what most people generally are asking for, "A level playing field". it is a shame that our politicians have not insured that everyone has that. Instead for years now they have sold the American public a line in order to fill a few corporate pockets.

Forum List

Back