A "Green School" And Related Issues

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I really didn't know which forum to post this in. The other day I was substituting and one of the aids asked me which city I lived in, the district covers two. I told him and he gave me a list of 3 candidates for the school board elections, opposition to 3 currently running.

I know the district has money problems, I live in one of the two cities, but my school district is actually a 3rd one. Yes, confusing. I can't vote for the board of the district I sub in or live in. My district is with a 3rd suburb.

When I asked what the problem was, it seems that about 8 years ago it was decided that one of the 3 middle schools would have to have a new building. It was situated in the old high school building, built around the turn of the century. Updating would have been too expensive. All 3 of the middle schools were located in one suburb, mine. The other suburb is much smaller and not as wealthy.

Many wanted the old school razed and a new school built on the existing site. The students would have been split between the other two middle schools during the construction process.

3 school board members out of 7, argued that any new middle school should be located in the second suburb. They convinced one other to go along with them. So, 3 years ago a plot of land, literally on the boarder between the two towns, was chosen. That land cost nearly $7 million. The board then voted to make the new building "green" from construction to functions. The building portion included nearly an additional $4 million in construction costs, but the argument was that money would be saved in the long haul.

The school is now in it's second year. It's maintenance costs are running over $220,000 more per year than the other two middle schools, much older and with higher student populations. 100% of the students at the school are bused. The other two schools have no more than 20% bused. All the bathrooms and the kitchen are 'green' meaning they are supposed to be water saving. Guess what? Middle schoolers are aged 11-14. It seems they find amusement in passing their hand over the electronic eyes of the toilet, faucets, soap dispensers, and hand drying units. I mean, who could have predicted that? :doubt:

Anyone else have such horror stories of waste? Any suggestions that are really useful?

I'd say the school board needs to do an audit as to where that $220,000 in maintenance is actually going, and make adjustments accordingly. It doesn't seem like they put a lot of thought into going green completely as opposed to in parts. For every structure, depending on its unique purpose(s), not everything "green" is cost effective.

But the faucet problem is hilarious! (I think they can switch those out. The WalMart where I live installed those, and wound up taking them out and replacing them with measured squirts instead of magic squirts within six months for the same reason.)

I'd say the school board needs to do an audit as to where that $220,000 in maintenance is actually going, and make adjustments accordingly. It doesn't seem like they put a lot of thought into going green completely as opposed to in parts. For every structure, depending on its unique purpose(s), not everything "green" is cost effective.

But the faucet problem is hilarious! (I think they can switch those out. The WalMart where I live installed those, and wound up taking them out and replacing them with measured squirts instead of magic squirts within six months for the same reason.)

They were 'measured' from the start regarding soap. Problem is that middle schoolers, especially the boys, love to make stuff work. LOL!

The whole thing seems to be a mess, from some solar stuff, (really of little use in northern IL) to the materials used, that are wearing out due to climate and other bad choices.

Seems there was 'corruption' from both site and construction company used. I figure from what I've read in the past couple days, that charges will be brought in a few months/years.

I subbed at that school for a week in November. It's really beautiful and I happened to mention to my friend, who like me isn't in that school district, that the middle school had more land than most high schools, but it was out with no housing around it. Weird that was. What failed to register until speaking with the sub, from the road to the school parking lot is about 3/4 of a mile. All that driveway needs to be plowed and salted as needed. In our climate, that's pretty often. No doubt that is a good portion of the costs, as are the no walkers.

That's what happens when you let Liberals get a hold of a project. I think this has been posted before, but a repost is in order:

Low-Flush Toilets: The San Francisco Treat? | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

That "liberal" idea sure did put some bucks in the pockets of the private manufacturers of low-flush toilets, however. How come THEY didn't think of the potential sewer problem? Did the government do the initial design?

Now you people are even making TOILETS political. Enough already.

Not everything "green" is suitable for everyone, both in usage and cost. The only thing I've done "green" is replace all my lightbulbs with the spiral energy-saving ones. It really hasn't made a serious dent in my electric bill, but at least I haven't had to put lightbulbs on my grocery list at any time for the last five years. I have neighbors who say the energy efficient washers and dryers really do save on their utility bills, however. Whatever works.

I really didn't know which forum to post this in. The other day I was substituting and one of the aids asked me which city I lived in, the district covers two. I told him and he gave me a list of 3 candidates for the school board elections, opposition to 3 currently running.

I know the district has money problems, I live in one of the two cities, but my school district is actually a 3rd one. Yes, confusing. I can't vote for the board of the district I sub in or live in. My district is with a 3rd suburb.

When I asked what the problem was, it seems that about 8 years ago it was decided that one of the 3 middle schools would have to have a new building. It was situated in the old high school building, built around the turn of the century. Updating would have been too expensive. All 3 of the middle schools were located in one suburb, mine. The other suburb is much smaller and not as wealthy.

Many wanted the old school razed and a new school built on the existing site. The students would have been split between the other two middle schools during the construction process.

3 school board members out of 7, argued that any new middle school should be located in the second suburb. They convinced one other to go along with them. So, 3 years ago a plot of land, literally on the boarder between the two towns, was chosen. That land cost nearly $7 million. The board then voted to make the new building "green" from construction to functions. The building portion included nearly an additional $4 million in construction costs, but the argument was that money would be saved in the long haul.

The school is now in it's second year. It's maintenance costs are running over $220,000 more per year than the other two middle schools, much older and with higher student populations. 100% of the students at the school are bused. The other two schools have no more than 20% bused. All the bathrooms and the kitchen are 'green' meaning they are supposed to be water saving. Guess what? Middle schoolers are aged 11-14. It seems they find amusement in passing their hand over the electronic eyes of the toilet, faucets, soap dispensers, and hand drying units. I mean, who could have predicted that? :doubt:

Anyone else have such horror stories of waste? Any suggestions that are really useful?
With the very few details you give it is impossible for a Cynic to check what you say. Other green schools show a far different result.

The green Neptune Township Community School in New Jersey was able to reduce its
heating/cooling loads by over 40% through a combination of energy efficiency measures
such as good lighting design, daylight dimming, additional insulation and triple pane
windows. The extra cost of these measures amounted to $125,000. However, the load
reduction strategies reduced the cost of the groundsource heat pump system by $400,000,
resulting in a net first cost reduction of $275,000. The project is projected to reduce
energy cost by over 50% compared to a code compliant facility, saving more than $80,000
per year.

-- Marcus Sheffer, 7group, November 2005

Forum List

Back