A great victory for the internet!

mh82rt.jpg

Sorry bout that,

1. This will not go well.
2. Free Speech Will Be Lost.
3. You will be controlled.
4. And it will cost you much much more, tax your cell phone, you laptop in your house, your pc, and tablets, each and everything must be taxed.
5. Just watch.
6. And they will still tax you even if you don't use it.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I thought Congress created Laws?

I hope they move quickly to overrule this. The most outrageous power grab of my lifetime.

IF this is not reversed, this board is done. No doubt the administration will provide a forum where we can post our love of Dear Leader, but the days of free and open debate are in the past.
They won't be able to. It would have to be rescinded by a bill that would have to pass both the house and the senate; The Dems would never let it come to the floor for debate in the senate, and the Pres. would veto it if it ever got to his desk.

Placing the FCC in charge of the content of the Internet offers the opportunity for the government to directly control what is said online.

I support freedom, you support dictatorship. Thus I fight this and you rejoice. You dream of an internet on par with North Korea.

Limiting what ISP's can charge is a good thing.

There is no legitimate or useful reason for net neutrality that I can see it's simply government thinking it needs to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

The Federal Communications Commission approved the policy known as net neutrality by a 3-2 vote at its Thursday meeting, with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler saying the policy will ensure "that no one — whether government or corporate — should control free open access to the Internet."

The Open Internet Order helps to decide an essential question about how the Internet works, requiring service providers to be a neutral gateway instead of handling different types of Internet traffic in different ways — and at different costs.

FCC Approves Net Neutrality Rules For Open Internet The Two-Way NPR

Placing the FCC in charge of the content of the Internet offers the opportunity for the government to directly control what is said online.

I support freedom, you support dictatorship. Thus I fight this and you rejoice. You dream of an internet on par with North Korea.

Limiting what ISP's can charge is a good thing.

Yeah. Just like how limiting what Cable TV providers and Utilities can charge has made bill much cheaper.

There is no legitimate or useful reason for net neutrality that I can see it's simply government thinking it needs to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

The Federal Communications Commission approved the policy known as net neutrality by a 3-2 vote at its Thursday meeting, with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler saying the policy will ensure "that no one — whether government or corporate — should control free open access to the Internet."

The Open Internet Order helps to decide an essential question about how the Internet works, requiring service providers to be a neutral gateway instead of handling different types of Internet traffic in different ways — and at different costs.

That does nothing to change my view the internet works extremely well as is.

This has nothing to do on how well the internet works, it's about how much money a private ISP can charge you for tiers. You see, it doesn't cost your ISP anymore money if you use more bandwidth than your neighbor. It's nothing more than profiteering such as the old home phone companies charging you for long distance calls.

Another case of fixing something that's not broken in order to create more opportunities for government graft:

Americans really like the online service they currently have and strongly oppose so-called “net neutrality” efforts that would allow the federal government to regulate the Internet.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 26% of American Adults agree the Federal Communications Commission should regulate the Internet like it does radio and television. Sixty-one percent (61%) disagree and think the Internet should remain open without regulation and censorship. Thirteen percent (13%) are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Only 19% believe more government regulation is the best way to protect those who use the Internet. Fifty-six percent (56%) feel more free market competition is the best protection. Twenty-five percent (25%) are undecided.

Most Americans have opposed increased government regulation of the Internet since December 2010 when some members of the FCC began pushing “net neutrality” efforts to stop some companies from offering higher downloading speeds to preferred customers.

Seventy-six percent (76%) of Americans who regularly go online rate the quality of their Internet service as good or excellent. Only five percent (5%) consider their service poor....

61 Oppose Federal Regulation of the Internet - Rasmussen Reports

Another case of fixing something that's not broken in order to create more opportunities for government graft:

Americans really like the online service they currently have and strongly oppose so-called “net neutrality” efforts that would allow the federal government to regulate the Internet.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 26% of American Adults agree the Federal Communications Commission should regulate the Internet like it does radio and television. Sixty-one percent (61%) disagree and think the Internet should remain open without regulation and censorship. Thirteen percent (13%) are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Only 19% believe more government regulation is the best way to protect those who use the Internet. Fifty-six percent (56%) feel more free market competition is the best protection. Twenty-five percent (25%) are undecided.

Most Americans have opposed increased government regulation of the Internet since December 2010 when some members of the FCC began pushing “net neutrality” efforts to stop some companies from offering higher downloading speeds to preferred customers.

Seventy-six percent (76%) of Americans who regularly go online rate the quality of their Internet service as good or excellent. Only five percent (5%) consider their service poor....

Charging people more money for more bandwidth which doesn't cost the ISP more money isn't broken?

Plus, the ISP receives their access from publicly (taxpayer) entities. So your ISP is charging you more money for something you've already payed for.

Charging people more money for more bandwidth which doesn't cost the ISP more money isn't broken?

Plus, the ISP receives their access from publicly (taxpayer) entities. So your ISP is charging you more money for something you've already payed for.

You are a loon if you think that someone using more bandwidth doesn't cost the ISP. They have to maintain the infrastructure to handle the traffic.

But I doubt you understand that the concept of a "Free Lunch" pins the bogometer.

I'm one of the 5%. The US has one of the slowest internet connections in the world. Why? ISP profiteering.

You are a loon if you think that someone using more bandwidth doesn't cost the ISP. They have to maintain the infrastructure to handle the traffic.

But I doubt you understand that the concept of a "Free Lunch" pins the bogometer.

The infrastructure to broadcast internet to your ISP is tax based. The infrastructure to deliver to you from your ISP has been subsidized by you through higher rates. You've paid for it and your ISP wants to charge you more money.

I doubt you understand that the concept of profiteering.

Look at the profits ISP's make. Two years ago on this forum I told you guys to invest in delivery of IT. If you had you'd be realizing a 40% profit.

This has nothing to do on how well the internet works, it's about how much money a private ISP can charge you for tiers. You see, it doesn't cost your ISP anymore money if you use more bandwidth than your neighbor. It's nothing more than profiteering such as the old home phone companies charging you for long distance calls.
Still sounds like the government trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The FCC approved net neutrality by a 3-2 vote! A free and open internet benefits everyone! A more accessible internet will help geek culture proliferate! I am not ashamed to say I am proud to be a gamer! I grew up with games like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and I don't have any problems introducing geek culture to the next generation! A more accessible internet would make that much easier!

The Net Neutrality Scam
By Ryan McMaken

Mises.org

February 27, 2015

Yet again, the government wants to fix a problem that doesn’t exist. According to the Obama administration and the FCC, it is necessary to regulate internet service providers so that they don’t interfere with people’s access to the web. The claim immediately prompts one to ask: Who is being denied access to the web?

The administration insists these measures are necessary because — even though there is no evidence that this has actually happened — it is possible that at some point in the future, internet service providers could restrict some content and apps on the internet. Thus, we are told, control of content should be handed over to the federal government to ensure that internet service providers are “neutral” when it comes to deciding what is on the internet and what is not."

Forum List

Back