A great solution to get supplies into Haiti......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
You know, I was watching the coverage of the earthquake in Haiti over the past couple of days, and have seen the problems with getting in supplies for the people, because there isn't enough landing space.

However, I think I have a good solution.........

Zorb balls. You know, the human hamster balls that people roll down hills in? Think about it for just a second.........

Can't land, can't get supplies. Take stuff like Power Bars, hand cranked flashlights (remember, there is no electricity, or very little), as well as some water and medicine. Also include a couple of air mattresses and some foot pumps. Know what they are for? Putting under concrete blocks where people are trapped. Inflate them, and then you can pull the people out.

Figure the weight limit of a Zorb ball is around 400 lbs, so you can pack in a lot of supplies.

Oh yeah......the Zorb balls could also provide limited shelter, or, you could use them as a clean room for keeping injured from getting infected.

Best part? You don't need runways, just a couple of C 130's with them loaded in the back end.......fly low (maybe 200 ft), and drop 'em outta the back.

Got the idea from what they did with the Mars landers.

What do you guys think?

You know, I was watching the coverage of the earthquake in Haiti over the past couple of days, and have seen the problems with getting in supplies for the people, because there isn't enough landing space.

However, I think I have a good solution.........

Zorb balls. You know, the human hamster balls that people roll down hills in? Think about it for just a second.........

Can't land, can't get supplies. Take stuff like Power Bars, hand cranked flashlights (remember, there is no electricity, or very little), as well as some water and medicine. Also include a couple of air mattresses and some foot pumps. Know what they are for? Putting under concrete blocks where people are trapped. Inflate them, and then you can pull the people out.

Figure the weight limit of a Zorb ball is around 400 lbs, so you can pack in a lot of supplies.

Oh yeah......the Zorb balls could also provide limited shelter, or, you could use them as a clean room for keeping injured from getting infected.

Best part? You don't need runways, just a couple of C 130's with them loaded in the back end.......fly low (maybe 200 ft), and drop 'em outta the back.

Got the idea from what they did with the Mars landers.

What do you guys think?

I think if you hit a civillian with a zorb ball your ass is grass.

Always gotta look for the problems, don't ya?

You DO realize that there are lots of places that don't have people, where you can drop them SAFELY, right?

But, beats nobody getting anything for a week or so, while they figure out a way to get the supplies to the people because the airport is jammed up.

Would also be safer than dropping chutes as well.

I just read that a prison collapsed and it's possible that 1000 prisoners have escaped. They are afraid for the relief workers. I think the biker's idea is as good as any. It's really bad there.

I just read that a prison collapsed and it's possible that 1000 prisoners have escaped. They are afraid for the relief workers. I think the biker's idea is as good as any. It's really bad there.
It's worse than really bad there. Truly saddening that people have to go through this.

the airport run was are open the relief will be there shortly .
The suffering will not end but it will be eased .

Seems like a good idea but they have opened up the airport so planes can land now. That would be the best way BUT for future events like this it could be used until they can land planes. Good ideas always seem to come from ex-squids...

Haiti airport closes due to overcrowding and lack of fuel

U.S. officials say they've stopped all civilian flights from the United States to Haiti at the request of the Haitian government, because there is no room on the ground for more planes and not enough jet fuel for planes to go back.

A U.S. official said the Federal Aviation Administration imposed the "ground stop" on flights bound to Haiti Thursday morning and the Haitian government was no longer accepting planes into Haitian airspace. The official was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The official says when flights were halted there were 11 planes circling the earthquake-damaged airport in Port-au-Prince, but no room to store more planes on the ground once they landed.

The official said there was only limited jet fuel for planes leaving Haiti.

FAA Halts Air Traffic to Haiti, No Room for Planes - ABC News

Forum List

Back