A great example of our oppressive government

Government is always oppressive. The US government is bat shit crazy oppressive.

We supposedly have a Bill of Rights that says that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Here we have the filthy ass government sending a man to jail for keeping arms.

He is not a criminal. He has never used the firearm for any criminal purpose. His only crime was possession.

This is the kind of oppression we get when we allow the govenment thugs to take away our right.

Decorated Vietnam Veteran, POW Sentenced To 7+ Years For ‘Mistake’ Made Decades Ago

Decorated Vietnam Veteran, POW Sentenced To 7+ Years For ‘Mistake’ Made Decades Ago

PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – A decorated Vietnam War hero from Plano is going to prison for a crime he committed decades ago.

Alfred Pick was sentenced by federal judge District Judge Marcia A. Crone to seven years in prison for a mistake he made nearly 40 years ago — buying a fully automatic gun that’s illegal for citizens to own. The rifle was similar to the one Pick had in the Army where he served as a lieutenant.

“This gun was very rare at that time it was rare to see one so he instantly had a connection to it,” said Pick’s attorney Ryne Sandel. “Over the course of his life he and his wife and collected about 14 weapons, many of them were collectors items.”

Pick lived in Plano’s Air Park neighborhood along with other pilots who enjoy a runway right outside their homes. The 70-year-old Vietnam veteran even served as the president of his homeowners association. Thus, when the ATF raided his home last year it came as a shock to friends like Mark Shackelford.

“He’s always been a good person to me,” Shackelford said.

Shackelford learned later that authorities were looking for and seized an M14 rifle that Pick had bought at a Fort Worth gun show in the early eighties.

“He was a gun collector and it was probably the piece de resistance of his collection… he had shown it to me. I’ve never seen it taken it out of the case,” said Shackelford.

The raid and arrest on Pick’s Plano home came two weeks after his wife of 40 years died of cancer. They were using marijuana, which authorities found and added another criminal charge.

Friends of the vet showed up to support him after he pleaded guilty in a Plano federal courtroom and was sentenced to 87 months in prison by a judge.

“He’s had it all these years never robbed a bank or done anything with it,” said Shackelford. “Somebody that made one mistake and now 50 years later, he’s paying a really big price for it.”

More than 40 years ago, Pick was awarded the military’s third highest honor, the Silver Star, after more than 100 combat missions and for a short time he was a POW.

Factors that his friends and attorney say should have led to a lighter sentence.

“He’s a really remarkable man to be honest,” said Sandel. “I do think it’s unfortunate for a gentleman like Alfred that’s had such an outstanding life to have it mired at the age of 70 by this federal felony.”

“The man is a Silver Star winner, he saved lives, he took care of his wife, he’s been in custody for a year, I would think that when a man turned 70 and is an American hero you don’t destroy the rest of his life for one mistake,” said Shackelford.
You know, at a distance, the outline of Florida kind of looks like a hand gun.

It use to be The Gunshine State until the cowardly Republicans joined the despicable Democrats to take away bump stocks and deprive young Floridians from their right to purchase a firearm.

Government is always oppressive. The US government is bat shit crazy oppressive.

We supposedly have a Bill of Rights that says that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

He is not a criminal. He has never used the firearm for any criminal purpose. His only crime was possession.

This is the kind of oppression we get when we allow the govenment thugs to take away our right.

PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – A decorated Vietnam War hero from Plano is going to prison for a crime he committed decades ago.

Alfred Pick was sentenced by federal judge District Judge Marcia A. Crone to seven years in prison for a mistake he made nearly 40 years ago —
Good. About time we started enforcing the gun laws we already have, is what NRA supporters say. Isn't it?

Seven years because he didn't pay a $200 tax 38 years ago? Is the judge's name Javert?

8th Amendment issue.

The rifle was similar to the one Pick had in the Army where he served as a lieutenant.

“This gun was very rare at that time it was rare to see one so he instantly had a connection to it,” said Pick’s attorney Ryne Sandel. “Over the course of his life he and his wife and collected about 14 weapons, many of them were collectors items.”

Pick lived in Plano’s Air Park neighborhood along with other pilots who enjoy a runway right outside their homes. The 70-year-old Vietnam veteran even served as the president of his homeowners association. Thus, when the ATF raided his home last year it came as a shock to friends like Mark Shackelford.

Shackelford learned later that authorities were looking for and seized an M14 rifle that Pick had bought at a Fort Worth gun show in the early eighties.

“He was a gun collector and it was probably the piece de resistance of his collection… he had shown it to me. I’ve never seen it taken it out of the case,” said Shackelford.

The raid and arrest on Pick’s Plano home came two weeks after his wife of 40 years died of cancer. They were using marijuana, which authorities found and added another criminal charge.

Friends of the vet showed up to support him after he pleaded guilty in a Plano federal courtroom and was sentenced to 87 months in prison by a judge.

“He’s had it all these years never robbed a bank or done anything with it,” said Shackelford. “Somebody that made one mistake and now 50 years later, he’s paying a really big price for it.”

More than 40 years ago, Pick was awarded the military’s third highest honor, the Silver Star, after more than 100 combat missions and for a short time he was a POW.

Factors that his friends and attorney say should have led to a lighter sentence.

“He’s a really remarkable man to be honest,” said Sandel. “I do think it’s unfortunate for a gentleman like Alfred that’s had such an outstanding life to have it mired at the age of 70 by this federal felony.”

“The man is a Silver Star winner, he saved lives, he took care of his wife, he’s been in custody for a year, I would think that when a man turned 70 and is an American hero you don’t destroy the rest of his life for one mistake,” said Shackelford.
Good. About time we started enforcing the gun laws we already have, is what NRA supporters say. Isn't it?

Seven years because he didn't pay a $200 tax 38 years ago? Is the judge's name Javert?

8th Amendment issue.
No, seven years for buying a fully automatic gun that’s illegal for citizens to own.
So says the article.

I think I would question that.

The M14 was both semi and fully automatic. Soldiers had a "key" to
operate it in the prescribed or ordered manner.

I've never heard of a civilian being able to purchase a fully automatic
weapon and it is very rare to obtain a "key" (for lack of a better word)
to switch it from semi to auto.

There is a process where a civilian can purchase an automatic weapon
but it is long and detailed.

There's something about this story that isn't right

If he paid the fees for a collector then he can have the full automatic weapon. If not then the full automatic is illegal.

To sentence him for 87 months over it is excessive. Getting one at a gun show back in the 80's wouldn't be that much of a problem even if full automatic.

I fired a M14 on full automatic one time.......at sea......when the Gunner's mates allowed us to shoot them.......My 3rd round I was shooting at birds lol......didn't expect the kick.......Has a hard kick........In single shot mode it is a very accurate weapon .........firing full auto with it is too dang hard to control.

Alfred Pick was sentenced by federal judge District Judge Marcia A. Crone to seven years in prison for a mistake he made nearly 40 years ago —

8th Amendment issue.

The rifle was similar to the one Pick had in the Army where he served as a lieutenant.

8th Amendment issue.
No, seven years for buying a fully automatic gun that’s illegal for citizens to own.
So says the article.

I think I would question that.

The M14 was both semi and fully automatic. Soldiers had a "key" to
operate it in the prescribed or ordered manner.

I've never heard of a civilian being able to purchase a fully automatic
weapon and it is very rare to obtain a "key" (for lack of a better word)
to switch it from semi to auto.

There is a process where a civilian can purchase an automatic weapon
but it is long and detailed.

There's something about this story that isn't right

I am a civilian and I have a legal Class III automatic weapon. A M-16.

I just had to pay that filthy $200 tax.

I don't think there is much to the story.

Many years ago he had the chance to get a surplus M-14 and he took it.

Who knows if it is a functioning F-A or not because of the stupid ATF laws that says once a machine gun always a machine gun. Even if it is functioning it is almost worthless on F-A as are most hand held .308s.

He probably just assumed that since it was the same as a M1A then nobody would ever really give a shit but evidently some Moon Bat turned him in.

Trump should pardon him. Possession should never be the crime.

So says the article.
That is impossible, unless the gun was built after 1985. All guns were legal to own and are still legal to own, including full autos, if built before 1985.

IT IS LEGAL TO OWN THEM.
Well, take it up with the author of the article then. According to Bear, the guy had an automatic with a scratched off serial number.
I know 7 years sounds harsh for a guy 70 years old. My brother was an Iraqi War vet and I want to tell you, he's just like the rest of us, still needs to follow the laws, etc. so give the rah-rah a rest.
I've heard so many posters scream about light sentences for gang bangers and illegals, yet when it comes to owning an illegal weapon, suddenly they deserve a break. I don't really think they do. If it makes people think twice about owning a machine gun, it's a guy's 7 years spent wisely. I do feel sorry, though, that it caught up with him so late in life. Too bad that in all the 40 years he owned it, he didn't think about throwing it in the ocean because he no doubt knew damned well it was illegal at some point.

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

It doesn't say your right to keep and bear arms shall be infringed if you have a F-A or scratched off serial numbers. Those laws are made by oppressive asshole politicians and are not ruled on by the courts because the filthy ass courts do not apply strict scrutiny to the Second like they do to all the other rights.

He probably didn't give it much though because he had the same as a M1A, which is perfectly legal.

He never thought that a shithead government asshole would throw him in jail for having the same functioning rifle as millions of other have that is legal.

The 2nd doesn't explicitly ban chemical weapons either. Do you think they should be legal too?

The constitution, including the Bill of Rights restricts what the Federal Government is allowed to do. Nothing more nothing less. Reelect no one ever, stop voting party lines and you will see a new respect for the constitution in congress.

Alfred Pick was sentenced by federal judge District Judge Marcia A. Crone to seven years in prison for a mistake he made nearly 40 years ago — buying a fully automatic gun that’s illegal for citizens to own. The rifle was similar to the one Pick had in the Army where he served as a lieutenant.

The Bill of Rights says that right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed so why should the mere possession of an arm be a crime? Is it because the government thugs don't understand what "shall not be infringed" means or is because they don't give a shit about our Liberty?

Why do we let t he government take away our freedom? We are dumbshits, aren't we?
That's for the ballot box to decide. Our legislators made that law and law abiding gun owners need to be responsible for following it. If all PD would strictly enforce the laws on the books, we wouldn't have quite such a big problem with illegal firearms.
Correct.

Such laws reflect the will of the majority of the people, and have not been invalidated by the Supreme Court.

You are really confused about this aren't you Moon Bat?

The Bill of Rights restricts the oppression the majority can inflict upon the American people.

You don't know that, do you?

[

THE SERIAL NUMBERS we're scratched off the M14 it was ILLEGAL to own

What is the big fucking deal about serial numbers?

It is legal to have some firearms without serial numbers. I have several legal AR-15s without serial numbers. I made them from 80% lowers.

Why should we even have the oppressive law?

It makes him a criminal for keeping and bearing arms, which is suppose to be protected by the Bill of Rights.

The crime should never be the possession of the firearm, only what criminal act is done with the firearm.

What did you find funny in my post, Billy_Kinetta ?

That you apparently believe seven years is a fair sentence for failure to pay a $200 tax 38 years ago.

Fan of Torquemada?
Please show me where the article said that. You are the second person who insists on that interpretation, but that is not what I read and I don't know where you are getting that.

That is the requirement for owning an automatic weapon. $200 is the tax now. I have no idea what it was 38 years ago.

So says the article.
That is impossible, unless the gun was built after 1985. All guns were legal to own and are still legal to own, including full autos, if built before 1985.

IT IS LEGAL TO OWN THEM.
Well, take it up with the author of the article then. According to Bear, the guy had an automatic with a scratched off serial number.
I know 7 years sounds harsh for a guy 70 years old. My brother was an Iraqi War vet and I want to tell you, he's just like the rest of us, still needs to follow the laws, etc. so give the rah-rah a rest.
I've heard so many posters scream about light sentences for gang bangers and illegals, yet when it comes to owning an illegal weapon, suddenly they deserve a break. I don't really think they do. If it makes people think twice about owning a machine gun, it's a guy's 7 years spent wisely. I do feel sorry, though, that it caught up with him so late in life. Too bad that in all the 40 years he owned it, he didn't think about throwing it in the ocean because he no doubt knew damned well it was illegal at some point.

So you take Bear’s word for it and want Billy to prove his post? Sounds like you aren’t being objective.

What did you find funny in my post, Billy_Kinetta ?

That you apparently believe seven years is a fair sentence for failure to pay a $200 tax 38 years ago.

Fan of Torquemada?
Please show me where the article said that. You are the second person who insists on that interpretation, but that is not what I read and I don't know where you are getting that.

That is the requirement for owning an automatic weapon. $200 is the tax now. I have no idea what it was 38 years ago.

There is another thing that may be the case.

The CMP has loaned out real M14 rifles to state associations to use in matches. Those guns have changed hands many times in some cases and some are still out there. It was perfectly legal. The CMP has since issued a recall of all the rifles, but I don't know how many they still have out in the public.

It may only be able to fire semi auto and may only be illegal because of the stupid oppressive ATF definition of "once a machine gun always a machine gun".

Forum List

Back