A good Pistol

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Any Gun Experts around?

What's a good pistol for under $400.00? Something that's fun to shoot, can get my boys involved in and doesn't break the bank?

I'm a little hurt you didn't ask me first :(

:-/

9mm...cheap ammo...not 'aggressive' like a .357, etc.

:)

In fact, your whacky father-in-law probably has thousands of rounds laying around; if not, he's likely got the ability to make some.

Taurus 9mm...inexpensive. Easy to find.

Mr. P said:
How old are the boys?

Ages 9 and 13...

I'm sure my 11yr old daughter would like to shoot it too...

Oh, and how much is a decent gun safe?

One like this:??

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=99SS5&category=Pistol

H_99SS5.jpg

Mr. P said:
Have they had any exposer to guns yet? BB/pellet, anything?

Yeah, at their grandpa's.... they've fired his .22 pistol and 357 I think..

-=d=- said:
That's a solid piece...best part is, I can clear it and then dissassemble it with one hand. :D

Same basic structure as the Military M9 Barretta 9mm. Accurate to a couple hunnert feet (shooting at a sillhoute).

MSRP is over 600bux though!!

-Cp said:
Ages 9 and 13...

Oh, and how much is a decent gun safe?

I do a lot of shooting (not that that makes me an expert) and when I started my kids (about same age as yours) I started them with good quality pellet guns. NOTE: not BB guns. A good pellet pistol can run anywhere from about 200 to 400 bucks. I set up a small pellet range in my basement. The boys learned really fast about proper safety and shooting techniques. Once they got that down well , we moved into the bigger (read rregular firearms) stuff. We still shoot a lot of pellet guns to this day. Highly accurate and competitive.

CSM said:
I do a lot of shooting (not that that makes me an expert) and when I started my kids (about same age as yours) I started them with good quality pellet guns. NOTE: not BB guns. A good pellet pistol can run anywhere from about 200 to 400 bucks. I set up a small pellet range in my basement. The boys learned really fast about proper safety and shooting techniques. Once they got that down well , we moved into the bigger (read rregular firearms) stuff. We still shoot a lot of pellet guns to this day. Highly accurate and competitive.

Well, the plan is to also enrole the older kids into a Firearm's Safety Course...

-Cp said:
Yeah, at their grandpa's.... they've fired his .22 pistol and 357 I think..

I've been around guns all my life...started with a bb gun at age 8..
Learned the basic safety stuff etc..then a .22 single shot rifle at 12 yrs old,
where I continued to learn the safety stuff. I Competed statewide, more safety stuff.

I personally think a rifle for young boys not a pistol is the first step.
A pistol is not only more difficult to use, it's more of a risk in young inexperienced hands.

I'd go for a rifle first..until you're satisfied they understand all that's involved.

Mr. P said:
I've been around guns all my life...started with a bb gun at age 8..
Learned the basic safety stuff etc..then a .22 single shot rifle at 12 yrs old,
where I continued to learn the safety stuff. I Competed statewide, more safety stuff.

I personally think a rifle for young boys not a pistol is the first step.
A pistol is not only more difficult to use, it's more of a risk in young inexperienced hands.

I'd go for a rifle first..until you're satisfied they understand all that's involved.

I tend to agree. Rifle is easier to learn with. Pistol shooting is a whole different world.

-Cp said:
Ages 9 and 13...

Do NOT leave her out!! She should be taught just the same as her brothers. Even if she isn't all that interested. Knowing how to safely handle a firearm is NOT time wasted. Bet she'll enjoy it, and, may even show up her siblings.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Joz said:
Do NOT leave her out!! She should be taught just the same as her brothers. Even if she isn't all that interested. Knowing how to safely handle a firearm is NOT time wasted. Bet she'll enjoy it, and, may even show up her siblings.

His daughter already can kick her brothers' asses. :)

Joz said:

Never said I was gonna leave her out - but it'll up to her how far she wants to go with it..

Forum List

Back