a gift for the board....

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Recently, I was going through some old bookmarks and found that the website that I used to do an occassional "column" for is still up and running, though it was obviously abandoned years ago.

The backstory: I used to be a sort-of regular on Kevin Smith's message board, from around '98 to about '02 or '03. I rarely posted, but I visited daily. Around the time of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Smith launched a site called Movie Poop Shoot that was basically a bunch of columns and/or reviews on movies, comics, etc. However, before it was launched, the general consensus on the board was that it was going to be fan writing, which wasn't the case. So, in response, a couple posters created their own site, The Askew Crapper, which would be made up of columns from users on the board. Long story short, I got a gig (does it count as a "gig" if you're not getting paid?) writing for it, which I continued to do, sporatically for about six months, I think.

This stuff is funny to me, now, or at least some of it. Some of it is so teenage-girl-diary-entry personal that it makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that I not only put it out there on the Internet, but also encouraged my friends and family to read it. But, anyway, I'm putting it out there, warts and all. I think it shows that I've grown a lot as a writer, not that you guys have much recent examples to compare it with. On the other hand, I really did think this was some great writing back in the day, so hopefully, I'm not still that much in denial. Not that it's horrendous or anything, but... well, you'll see. Make up your own mind. But, don't feel bad if you think it sucks, because I do too. I still like the title, though.

So, go here and scroll down until you see Shooting Ducks. That's mine. Not that anybody'll know any better, but I should note that for some reason, about half of my first columns are not listed here, but they're nothing great, anyway.

So, comments, complaints, cut-downs, whatever...

Also, if you click on the Shooting Ducks on the bar on the far left, it'll bring you to the latest column, which isn't in the archives.

Forum List

Back