A Generation of CEOs Who Don't Know How to Raise Wages

Employers shouldn't expect top level work and production when they offer low wages, I'm pretty sure no top level, experienced brain surgeon is going to work for 25,000 dollars a year.

Employers shouldn't expect top level work and production when they offer low wages, I'm pretty sure no top level, experienced brain surgeon is going to work for 25,000 dollars a year.
You're right they shouldn't. And, if they don't get it, they know they have to correct the wages to get it.

But, they don't. Because the supply is so high, they don't need to.

Supply.

Demand.

Simple.

It's not that they don't know how to raise wages. In fact wage increases would certainly be happening if the labor market was better balanced. Why give wage increases when costs are so much lower and regulations are so much more relaxed in other nations? Why give wage increases when our government has failed to control illegal immigration causing millions of people to come undercut wages. Why raise wages when the govt is handing out work visas like candy to foreign nationals willing to work for half of what an American will work for?

You're right they shouldn't. And, if they don't get it, they know they have to correct the wages to get it.

But, they don't. Because the supply is so high, they don't need to.

Supply.

Demand.

Simple.

Follow the OP, the employer is complaining of not being able to fill positions when their is high unemployment.

...Follow the OP, the employer is complaining of not being able to fill positions when their is high unemployment.
Hey Bass, this whole thread's a lie. It's a couple goofy anecdotes used to blame everything on the evil subhuman rich.

In real life, the money crises of the past four years had corp's take a bit profit hit but instead of complaining they still increased wages even while Obama socked them with higher taxes.
corppaytx.png

Don't argue with me about it, this is what Obama's BEA admits when you look at the actual numbers.
beacorpss.png

Labor is just another commodity.

Now that American workers are competing with the third world the supply of labor far exceeds the demand.

Wages stagnate as result.

Unemployment is high as a result.

Tax revenues from a larger and larger percentage of the population cease.

Governments are forced to borrow more and more to make up shortfalls.

FREE TRADE?

Not hardly.

These policies probably the most expensive TRADE policies we could possibly have imposed upon the nation.

...Show me a business that pays its employees more than it has to.
--or an employee that accepted lower pay than he could demand?

Steve Jobs had Apple pay him an annual salary of one dollar. Everyone was happy with that and both Jobs and Apple did well. Hoover served four years for free saying it was a privilege. I paid my kids allowances that were way over market for the work they did, and that's often how family businesses are run.

The idea of supply and demand explains a lot about what people do even though it doesn't explain everything always. There are people who talk big about how employees should always pay a so-called 'living wage', and these same morons will turn right around and spend their own money on goods and services when and wherever it suits 'em.

LMAO! Those guys did that because they were already rich.

Forum List

Back