A Funny Thing Happened at Work Today... And I thank Bush For It?

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
If you had read any of my postings about Bush's intelligence, or lack there of, you're probably think this after reading the title...

:wtf:

I can assure you that I still think Bush is stupid; but this week, for the first time, I saw a quick flash of brillance in what he had to say about a particular subject. But first the story.

I woke up this morning under great concern; masonry is the branch of construction I work in. The problem? The temperture was 23 degrees with a wind chill factor of 8. What is the number one rule when laying brick under such temperture...? You don't.

My girlfriend pulled up to the house to see me. She'd asked me what I was going to get her for Christmas. I suggested a particular part of my body. She reminded me that she can always get "that". I referred to "that" as "The gift that keeps on giving". You know happened next...

:slap:

Anyway, I was truly concerned; I needed to work today and tommorrow because we both agreed that we need to do something for the family who'd lost those two kids; to add to that, I still have to buy gifts for my family and for her. So I got on the phone with one of my co-workers and straight up asked him if we can work today. He said it can be done and he told me what to do.

So here we are at work, when he'd showed up, I and the crew had already scaffolded up to the top of the widest section of the building. He came later because he had to pick up the right materials for the job. While we were bringing up the bricks, we were observing our rival crews packing it up and calling it the day, because it was too cold for them to work. My co-worker told me, "I got your stuff"; I told him to bring it up.

What did he bring? 4,000 square yards of plastic sheeting and two rented heat blowers. We went straight to the top, screwed the sheeting in, then draped and sealed the plastic around the scaffolding. From there, we turned on the heaters and took a break. Within an hour, the temperture inside our "tent" had risen to 52 degrees, well above the minimal temperture, so we went to work.

By sunset, we had laid over 4,000 bricks, not bad at all for a six man crew. When I broke down the numbers, everybody went home with at least 200 dollars, for that one day alone. When you add up the rest of the week, it looks like everyone's going to have a Merry Christmas.

With that being said, I thanked my co-worker for the idea.

Now what does any of this have to do with my thanking of GW? Simple, my co-worker was from another country; his idea was based on the fact that the weather in his country was unforgiving and working was NOT an option; you find a way to work by any means neccessary.

George W. Bush upset many conservative groups when he declared that he intends to support the rights of immigrants to enter this country for work. I back him up 100% on the reason why.

My immigrant co-worker wanted to work today, while my american born rivals went home.

Immigrants come to this country willing to work the jobs you don't want to work; they are willing to work under conditions you would refuse to work under. why? Because as long as they're here, they will NEVER have to work under the inhumane working conditions they'll otherwise face in their own countries.

So to GW, thank you; that's mighty LIBERAL of you!

hylandrdet said:
If you had read any of my postings about Bush's intelligence, or lack there of, you're probably think this after reading the title...

I can assure you that I still think Bush is stupid; but this week, for the first time, I saw a quick flash of brillance in what he had to say about a particular subject. But first the story.

I woke up this morning under great concern; masonry is the branch of construction I work in. The problem? The temperture was 23 degrees with a wind chill factor of 8. What is the number one rule when laying brick under such temperture...? You don't.

My girlfriend pulled up to the house to see me. She'd asked me what I was going to get her for Christmas. I suggested a particular part of my body. She reminded me that she can always get "that". I referred to "that" as "The gift that keeps on giving". You know happened next...

:slap:

Anyway, I was truly concerned; I needed to work today and tommorrow because we both agreed that we need to do something for the family who'd lost those two kids; to add to that, I still have to buy gifts for my family and for her. So I got on the phone with one of my co-workers and straight up asked him if we can work today. He said it can be done and he told me what to do.

So here we are at work, when he'd showed up, I and the crew had already scaffolded up to the top of the widest section of the building. He came later because he had to pick up the right materials for the job. While we were bringing up the bricks, we were observing our rival crews packing it up and calling it the day, because it was too cold for them to work. My co-worker told me, "I got your stuff"; I told him to bring it up.

What did he bring? 4,000 square yards of plastic sheeting and two rented heat blowers. We went straight to the top, screwed the sheeting in, then draped and sealed the plastic around the scaffolding. From there, we turned on the heaters and took a break. Within an hour, the temperture inside our "tent" had risen to 52 degrees, well above the minimal temperture, so we went to work.

By sunset, we had laid over 4,000 bricks, not bad at all for a six man crew. When I broke down the numbers, everybody went home with at least 200 dollars, for that one day alone. When you add up the rest of the week, it looks like everyone's going to have a Merry Christmas.

With that being said, I thanked my co-worker for the idea.

Now what does any of this have to do with my thanking of GW? Simple, my co-worker was from another country; his idea was based on the fact that the weather in his country was unforgiving and working was NOT an option; you find a way to work by any means neccessary.

George W. Bush upset many conservative groups when he declared that he intends to support the rights of immigrants to enter this country for work. I back him up 100% on the reason why.

My immigrant co-worker wanted to work today, while my american born rivals went home.

Immigrants come to this country willing to work the jobs you don't want to work; they are willing to work under conditions you would refuse to work under. why? Because as long as they're here, they will NEVER have to work under the inhumane working conditions they'll otherwise face in their own countries.

The party is neocon now. This is the standard view.

rtwngAvngr said:
The party is neocon now. This is the standard view.

Nope, more like a conservative president who's legitimately seeking common ground.

Great presidents had always been defined by their ability to find compromise; that's means giving ground to the opposition for the common good.

My point was to let you know that GW has no intention of passing a bunch of "moral value" legislation; abortion, existing gay rights and affirmative action will still be here. why? Because he finally got it!

America is not as conservative as he thought it was. He'd lunged at affirmative action, the University of Michigan (GO BLUE!!!)kicked his butt in the Supreme Court! He lunged at gay marriage; even his republican led congress laughed at him. Abortion? He had a chance at that one, but he back off; I think he took time off to lick his wounds from the whooping he took from the other two issues.

Any attempt to turn America into a conservative nation, at this time, will lead to a severe political backlash. There are too many americans, such as myself, that rely on many programs sponsored by middle and liberal Americans.

For note: my predominately WHITE construction company got this year's government contracts because the president of our company is Black; yes Virginia, there are white men, who have work now, because of affirmative action.

That's why I love the construction industry; in this arena, political decisions hit us immediately.

Conservatives remind me of the sportwriter, who'd never played football, writing an article against a football player's performance. Enough said!

hylandrdet said:
Nope, more like a conservative president who's legitimately seeking common ground.

Great presidents had always been defined by their ability to find compromise; that's means giving ground to the opposition for the common good.

Wrong. Great presidents have always been defined by their ability to do the right thing regardless of political expediency.

hylandrdet said:
My point was to let you know that GW has no intention of passing a bunch of "moral value" legislation; abortion, existing gay rights and affirmative action will still be here. why? Because he finally got it!

Got what?

hylandrdet said:
America is not as conservative as he thought it was.

Oh. Actually America is more conservative than you think. Any proof?

hylandrdet said:
He'd lunged at affirmative action, the University of Michigan (GO BLUE!!!)kicked his butt in the Supreme Court!

And liberals are never for letting the people actually decide anything are they? Always the unelected judges to get your measures approved. You guys would have far more credibility with me if this was not the case.

hylandrdet said:
He lunged at gay marriage; even his republican led congress laughed at him.

HUH? Are you on something?

hylandrdet said:
Abortion? He had a chance at that one, but he back off; I think he took time off to lick his wounds from the whooping he took from the other two issues.

Never mind. Yes, you are. He signed a partial birth abortion ban, but a judge (suprise) came to the liberals' rescue, and valiantly defended Americans' God-Given right to collapse the skulls of unborn infants and suck out their brains.

hylandrdet said:
Any attempt to turn America into a conservative nation, at this time, will lead to a severe political backlash. There are too many americans, such as myself, that rely on many programs sponsored by middle and liberal Americans.

Programs like...welfare? America is already a conservative nation, as shown in the last election, so turning it into one would be redundant.

hylandrdet said:
For note: my predominately WHITE construction company got this year's government contracts because the president of our company is Black; yes Virginia, there are white men, who have work now, because of affirmative action.

So if you are to be believed, the president of your company got the contracts on the oh-so-important qualification that he was...black. Noted.

hylandrdet said:
That's why I love the construction industry; in this arena, political decisions hit us immediately.

I learned something today, thanks.

hylandrdet said:
Conservatives remind me of the sportwriter, who'd never played football, writing an article against a football player's performance. Enough said!

Said sportswriters have spent years studying and watching the game, and know the most intricate of strategies like the back of their hand. By your logic, no one who has ever been in the military has the right to write a critical reveiw of the latest military action in Iraq. Am I getting that right?

Enough Said!

No conservatives have any problems with immigrations. Our problems are with Illegal immigration. Why do you people on the left have such a difficult time understanding the difference. See we conservatives happen to be a strange people who actually think people should follow the law. how odd of us. But you see if we dont follow the law then society doesnt work. I know liberals tend to try to find ways around laws they dont like but im sorry we are a society of laws. Until liberals understand that the problem is with breaking the law and not the immigration itself you are going to continue to be surprised by the actions of conservatives.

Come to think of it you guys have lots of things you need to understand before you cease to be surprised.

hylandrdet said:

etc.

etc.

etc.

Great story - and great innovation. But I agree with Avatar. Conservatives don't havea a beef with immigration per se, it's illegals that torque us so much. If we had 10,000,000 legal immigrants coming into the country each year and zero illegals, I think the whole immigration issue would be moot.

Being an immigrant myself, it would be the height of hypocrisy to speak out against it. But I came to this country LEGALLY and I deeply resent those who sneak in. I resent those who come here to take advantage of liberal welfare programs instead of seeking to pursue the American dream. I resent those who come here, refuse to learn to speak the language and demand that government forms and services be provided in their "native" language. I despise those who come here and want to build their own little "old country" instead of becoming an American - if they want to live in a Chinese community or an Italian enclave etc - then why the hell didn't they stay where they were to begin with?

And if you don't think that uncontrolled immigration is a bane to society - just look at what is going on in Europe with the migration of muslims. Look particularly at the troubles the Dutch are currently experiencing. Seems that the muslims have brought their radical, murderous "religion" along with them. Stabbings and shootings have already occurred and beheading have been threatened. Seems that the Dutch need to wake up and start kicking some of these nuts back to wherever they came from. Muslims long for a return to the repressive and oppressive society run by radical islamic idiots. Muslims want to the world to adopt the same social policy they pursue - you know - the one where women can be killed for failing to wear a tent over their heads.

So immigration definitely has its plusses and minuses. We need to assure that we get those who will benefit our society, reject the idiots and evict the illegals.

Forum List

Back