A Frozen Screen

Frozen computers can be anything really. However a common one is people installing two anti-virus programs... baddddddd idea.

I am actually having a similar problem with a laptop I am fixing. Now the guy who owns the laptop had installed two anti-virus which of course caused the freezing.

However there is still something wrong with the machine since the graphics card driver crashes also.. yes it is a sick puppy. Since the graphics card is a known problem child from Nvidia (old 9300 chip) then I suspect it is that... but... The machine has Windows 7 on it, which normally would not be a problem if it was not for the fact that the machine is an older Medion machine. Medion has a history of buying cheap ass parts (the thing has only 160 GB harddrive...) and not updating their drivers or telling people where to get new drivers.... which means no windows 7 drivers at all for this laptop model.. And since the machine came with a Vista installed with the correct drivers, then the whole problem set could simply be a driver issue of some sort.. we shall see.

Point I am trying to make is... the only way often you can figure out "freezing", "lagging" and so on issues, is by trial and error since it is in 9 out of 10 times 3rd party programs causing the problems... and good luck on figuring out which program. In fact I have had a machine (in the 1990s) freeze and do BSODs because of a faulty CD drive... but did it tell me that it was that? of course not.

This is the check list I normally follow on "freezing", lagging and BSOD. After each check, see if the problem has gone away.

1. Check for double anti-virus.
1a. Check which kind of anti-virus... Norton and McAfee can be problematic and should be removed as a test at some point. It can also simply be that the anti-virus is too aggressive in its scanning.
1b. Make sure the anti-virus is not fake.. googling the name often provides enough information to make that assessment if you are unsure.
2. Check for iTunes... can really screw up a system... remove
3. Check for "free bars".. google, yahoo and so on and remove
4. Check for Ashampoo programs.. remove.. or in general other suspect free programs.. they usually also install some sort of "cool" bar in your browser
5. Run Malwarebytes (Mallwarebytes.com) for malware, spyware, crapware.
6. Update drivers.
7. CTR ALT DEL and get into task manager and see what is using a lot of memory and/or CPU power.
8. Memory scan (Windows 7 has such a program else there are a few on the net).

If nothing of this works.. then reinstall since you have wasted enough time. If the problem is still there after reinstall and before you start installing anything, then you know it is a hardware problem.

The desktop is about 1 year old, came with Win7 installed and has Webroot AV with Spy Sweeper. There's no other AV program, not a lot of other stuff added.

So, I took it back to Best Buy, the Geek Squad said there was no hardware problem, had to be software. I uninstalled everything that wasn't there originally, did a disk cleanup and defrag, every mx thing I could find. So far, no freeze. We'll see what happens.

Nope. Like a dummy, I put it off. Honestly, I dreaded the thought of spending two hours on the phone with someone who I couldn't understand.

What specific XPS model is it?

Studio XPS Laptop 1645
Windows 7
x64- based PC
Intel Core i7 CPU
Here's the link for the A 07 BIOs upgrade.

Drivers and Downloads

If you decide to download and run it be aware that during the upgrade installation your laptop might freeze up, it happens occasionally but is not a problem the upgrade is done at that point. If that happens you actually will have to "power boot" it by pulling the plug and the battery pack then reattaching them and turning it back on.
To check what BIOs version you currently have, reboot your laptop then where you see "hit F2 for setup" (or something similar) hit the F2 key and enter the BIOs setup utility. The first screen will tell you what version your BIOs is flashed to, probably A06.
You'll have to use the arrows, esc and enter keys to move around in setup. All you do to get out of BIOs setup is keep hitting the Esc button and follow the instructions on the screen.

One other thing, if your BIOs is all ready at A07 then there is another Windows 7 issue. Make sure all of you updates are complete and if so then you'll have 2 choices, one is to reload Windows 7 and start from scratch to see if that fixes the problem or the second option is available if you answer one question and are willing to try the option. The question is, what specifically do you use your laptop for?

P..p...poorrr....por....nnnnn.

:)

Seriously - Lots of web browsing, creating Word docs, some spreadsheet work. No gaming.

PS here's the BIOS info: Date 1/29/10 ; Del 6040000 Ver 1.00 BIOS A06

P..p...poorrr....por....nnnnn.

:)

Seriously - Lots of web browsing, creating Word docs, some spreadsheet work. No gaming.

PS here's the BIOS info: Date 1/29/10 ; Del 6040000 Ver 1.00 BIOS A06

Yup, what I thought, ya need to update your BIOs. The reason I asked what you used it for was if all else fails with Win7 on it then I would suggest you download and burn a bootable ISO of Linux Mint 11 64 bit and replace Windows with it, I think you'll see all of you issues with this computer go bye bye but that's not a guarantee.
Try the upgrade first and see how that works.

Thanks. I also noticed that I haven't been installing updates as they were delivered. 12 in total.
The last one is loading now.

While I have you on the phone... Since this machine was new, I get a notice window whenever I boot up:

Error in c:\Windows\system32\Spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\LXCFtime.dll
Missing entry: _RunDLLEntry@16

It's got me befuddled.

Thanks. I also noticed that I haven't been installing updates as they were delivered. 12 in total.
The last one is loading now.

While I have you on the phone... Since this machine was new, I get a notice window whenever I boot up:

Error in c:\Windows\system32\Spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\LXCFtime.dll
Missing entry: _RunDLLEntry@16

It's got me befuddled.

That's a file for a Lexmark printer, if you have a Lexmark then a driver didn't install properly.

I removed the wascally Lexmark printer and that window doesn't pop up on startup.
Got the new BIOS installed.
Discovered there was also an issue with the graphics driver. It was listed under "optional updates" but didn't appear to address a driver issue until I clicked "more info".
Bingo.

I owes ya a beer.

I removed the wascally Lexmark printer and that window doesn't pop up on startup.
Got the new BIOS installed.
Discovered there was also an issue with the graphics driver. It was listed under "optional updates" but didn't appear to address a driver issue until I clicked "more info".
Bingo.

I owes ya a beer.

Hopefully the updates and BIOs upgrade fixes your laptop's issues. Glad I could help.

I have a couple of laptops and an eMachines desktop PC, has Windows 7 on it. It will totally freeze up at various times, and I got no clue if it's hardware or software. The laptops don't do it, it just freezes and you can't do anything but reboot. Any ideas?

I have a HP Dual Core came with Vista Ultimate and an upgrade to Windows 7. From the start I had freeze ups and Blue Screens. Reinstalled Vista 3 times since, and have decided to stay with it.

When I start up, if I restart within 5 to 15 minutes, it will run without any incident. If I don't, it will freeze, guaranteed. So that is what I do now. My Son In Law, a PC Expert, says no way. He never turns his equipment off, that also works for me, but I, being a Conservative don't like to waste electricity.

Two things,
1) Don't buy HP. :D
1) Don't listen to LKElder. :D

I have a couple of laptops and an eMachines desktop PC, has Windows 7 on it. It will totally freeze up at various times, and I got no clue if it's hardware or software. The laptops don't do it, it just freezes and you can't do anything but reboot. Any ideas?

I have a HP Dual Core came with Vista Ultimate and an upgrade to Windows 7. From the start I had freeze ups and Blue Screens. Reinstalled Vista 3 times since, and have decided to stay with it.

When I start up, if I restart within 5 to 15 minutes, it will run without any incident. If I don't, it will freeze, guaranteed. So that is what I do now. My Son In Law, a PC Expert, says no way. He never turns his equipment off, that also works for me, but I, being a Conservative don't like to waste electricity.

Two things,

I'm sure your son in law has asked you this but did you do an upgrade or a clean install? If a upgrade then did you go from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate? Upgrading can cause all sorts of problems and will especially problematic if one tries to upgrade with a different "level".

Two things,

I'm sure your son in law has asked you this but did you do an upgrade or a clean install? If a upgrade then did you go from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate? Upgrading can cause all sorts of problems and will especially problematic if one tries to upgrade with a different "level".

The problem existed before the Upgrade. Reinstalling everything from scratch, I ended up with a corrupted Windows 7 Installation Disc. I ended up reinstalling Vista again and kept it Vista. I'm okay with it the way it is, just as long as I remember to restart the thing after I check my E-Mails. No extra games installed on this system. Photo's, Music, Surfing, and here. Used to buy only Gateway's. :) I like HP Printers, which is why I got this.

Two things,

The problem existed before the Upgrade. Reinstalling everything from scratch, I ended up with a corrupted Windows 7 Installation Disc. I ended up reinstalling Vista again and kept it Vista. I'm okay with it the way it is, just as long as I remember to restart the thing after I check my E-Mails. No extra games installed on this system. Photo's, Music, Surfing, and here. Used to buy only Gateway's. :) I like HP Printers, which is why I got this.

So if you don't reboot after checking e-mail it freezes? Sounds to me like a bad e-mail driver file somewhere and it could be on the installation disc which is why reloading the OS didn't fix it. Try Mozilla Thunderbird and see if that fixes the issue, you don't have to uninstall your current one and you can switch back if it doesn't work.
Also update all your hardware drivers, the regular Microsoft updates often don't include those.

I would also recommend the same thing I did for Mr H, download and install the latest BIOs available for your machine just in case the problem resides in the BIOs which are not part of the OS installation.

So if you don't reboot after checking e-mail it freezes? Sounds to me like a bad e-mail driver file somewhere and it could be on the installation disc which is why reloading the OS didn't fix it. Try Mozilla Thunderbird and see if that fixes the issue, you don't have to uninstall your current one and you can switch back if it doesn't work.
Also update all your hardware drivers, the regular Microsoft updates often don't include those.

Not exactly. It freezes up within 10-15 minutes of use, no matter what I'm doing. If I restart before the Freeze, it will run for days without a Freeze up, if I leave it on. I disabled Sleep Mode, because coming back from that causes a freeze up too. My fix does work for me, and I'm okay with it. Meanwhile I dream of a new Desk Top with a different Logo on it. :) I'm an Appliance Technician, not a Computer Technician.

It may be an issue with the Mother Boards lagging in how they communicate, one of my blue screens points that way. Makes me miss Hyper Thread. :D

Not exactly. It freezes up within 10-15 minutes of use, no matter what I'm doing. If I restart before the Freeze, it will run for days without a Freeze up, if I leave it on. I disabled Sleep Mode, because coming back from that causes a freeze up too. My fix does work for me, and I'm okay with it. Meanwhile I dream of a new Desk Top with a different Logo on it. :) I'm an Appliance Technician, not a Computer Technician.

It may be an issue with the Mother Boards lagging in how they communicate, one of my blue screens points that way. Makes me miss Hyper Thread. :D

I bet if you put Linux on it it would run like a champ......... :lol:

I bet if you put Linux on it it would run like a champ......... :lol:

Of course, since he would only be able to run a browser and not be able to install anything useful :) since he would not understand what the hell is going on in Linux :)

User friendly (point and click) Linux like Ubuntu or Mint with proprietary codecs built into the install not Red Hat, Fedora, OpenSUSE, etc........ :cool:
The only real issue left with Ubuntu and Mint is having to find generic Linux drivers for older Broadcom wireless chips which Broadcom refuses to write drivers for.

As For Linux Mint I'm sure everyone could find something other than a browser that is useful.......

http://community.linuxmint.com/software

And Ubuntu:
(Though I despise the Unity desktop!)

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features

Last edited:

Forum List

Back