A Freshman Paper

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
My daughter's ninth grade English teacher said they are to write their papers without using contractions or the words: am, is , are , was, were, be , got, and pronouns.

I'm like WTH? :confused:

Is this the new trend? Or is she :cuckoo:

My daughter's ninth grade English teacher said they are to write their papers without using contractions or the words: am, is , are , was, were, be , got, and pronouns.

my daughter finished 9th grade last year and i don't remember any thing like this.

writing a paper without using the verb forms of "to be" sounds, um, challenging; pronouns are easier.
maybe your daughter misunderstood the teacher ?

o forgive her for the challenge...she must be crazy to try to challenge kids to do something new...

damn her and her creativity...she just sucks doesnt she? i hate teachers who make kids think...dont you?

Well you've just failed the test! :eusa_whistle:

my daughter finished 9th grade last year and i don't remember any thing like this.

writing a paper without using the verb forms of "to be" sounds, um, challenging; pronouns are easier.

She said the teacher was SCREAMING at the kids,

"Don't use these words, it's improper literature!"

My daughter said to me, but mom, Shakespeare and all the great writers uses those words..................

She said the teacher was SCREAMING at the kids,

"Don't use these words, it's improper literature!"

My daughter said to me, but mom, Shakespeare and all the great writers uses those words..................

to exist or not to exist
that the question

yeah, just doesn't make it

my freshmen English teacher loved to play matchmaker, the problem is she liked to pair me with my ex boyfriend from 8th grade. I was so horrified! I don't miss being 15 and so worried about everything. lol

It can be done. Just takes a lot of thinking...

"Tormented by a teacher who forced Jane to respond without using proper conjunctions, or leaning on other common linguistic conventions such as pronouns, and contractions, Jane felt her time spent at Hamilton High School wasteful and pugnacious."

Short paper.

"Tormented by a teacher who forced Jane to respond without using proper conjunctions, or leaning on other common linguistic conventions such as pronouns, and contractions, Jane felt her time spent at Hamilton High School wasteful and pugnacious."

Short paper.

:lol: :lol:

Now she's telling me it might JUST BE for this one paper.....................

I'm thinking it is, I can't see an entire year of papers writing that way.

If it is one paper, then I think it's a great idea, because it does challenge them to think outside the box when writing.

Now, if it's for the entire year, not so much.

Short paper.

:lol: :lol:

Now she's telling me it might JUST BE for this one paper.....................

I'm thinking it is, I can't see an entire year of papers writing that way.

If it is one paper, then I think it's a great idea, because it does challenge them to think outside the box when writing.

Now, if it's for the entire year, not so much.

I wouldn't recommend she use my example. Might just lower her GPA, and make her the teachers pet in more ways than one. :cool:

You should ask the teacher why.

It sounds very odd but I have to assume there is some reason.

There's actually not enough teachers in the world that make kids *think* anymore. This one sounds like she does.. It'll likely be hard as hell, but kudos to her...

Strolling, somebody may have already answered this, but . . .

I think the teacher wants your daughter to write declarative statements instead of 'state of being' statements. I think your daughter is going to be encouraged to write "I throw the ball" instead of "I am throwing the ball", or "I threw the ball" rather than "I was throwing the ball".

Strolling, somebody may have already answered this, but . . .

I think the teacher wants your daughter to write declarative statements instead of 'state of being' statements. I think your daughter is going to be encouraged to write "I throw the ball" instead of "I am throwing the ball", or "I threw the ball" rather than "I was throwing the ball".

I is one of the words/pronouns they can't use.

By the way, if bones is mini echo's mom too, I think I'm owed some child support! :lol:

Forum List

Back