A Founding Fathers question

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I confess that my question is based on the well made series "John Adams" on cable T.V. Adams was obviously a patriot but during the Revolution the Congressional Congress decided to send him as an envoy to Paris although he was ill equipped as a country lawyer. Franklin was already well established in Paris and Jefferson would have been a much better choice.

I confess that my question is based on the well made series "John Adams" on cable T.V. Adams was obviously a patriot but during the Revolution the Congressional Congress decided to send him as an envoy to Paris although he was ill equipped as a country lawyer. Franklin was already well established in Paris and Jefferson would have been a much better choice.
Where was the question I hear many ask... Or perhaps it's just the Legion in my head.

The question.... Why did they send John Adams instead of Franklin as an envoy to Paris?

If I remember correctly Adams was to assist Franklin in negotiating a military pact with the French, but by the time he got there Franklin had already pocketed a signed agreement.

Unknown precisely why they specifically chose Adams.

Yes, that was a good series. Well acted.

Where was the question I hear many ask... Or perhaps it's just the Legion in my head.

The question.... Why did they send John Adams instead of Franklin as an envoy to Paris?

Franklin was already there.

They knew Adams was less likely to come back with VD than Franklin, and Jefferson just wanted get out of the country so he could get freaky with Sally without hiding in secret rooms.

Franklin wasn't sent as an envoy... Was he?

Last edited:

Frankly wasn't sent as an envoy... Was he?
He was, but was slow to get any commitment from the French.

Adams was a Mass. country lawyer. Jefferson might have been a better choice or Franklin to deal with the French. Did the constitutional congress want to get rid of Adams for some reason?

Ahhh... Thank you.

So what's the question?

So, what's the question?

Just for the sake of argument and no insult intended, it seems that Adams and Franklin were relatively close and Franklin was an astute observer of the political climate as well as climate in general. Is it possible that Adams and Franklin decided to wait out the Revolution in the relative safety of France in case it failed and the Brits came around with a noose?

Forum List

Back