A Football Life.....Joe Namath

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Joe Namath was a Yankee from Pennsylvania that played college football at Alabama....and he had to change to fit in.

He was there at the University of Alabama when Gov. George Wallace (D) refused to allow 2 black students to be segregated into the school.

1024px-Wallace_at_University_of_Alabama_edit2.jpg

People tend to forget what the South was like back then.

What's really interesting is that fact that we never saw Joe Namath play when he was healthy. He was the best running QB in the country while at Alabama.

Here's his story.

Kinda weird to hear "Democrats" go on about state rights and sovereignty, and bitch about federal control as they attempt to resist it. It's almost like the label is irrelevant, and those "Democrats" of yesterday eventually became the conservatives of today. You might especially think so when you listen to them talk about immigration and taxes.

Look at the horrific Crimes Blacks commit these days at a much higher rate than other Criminals and then wonder.....could this have been prevented? Wallace dont look so bad now EH?

Joe Namath was a Yankee from Pennsylvania that played college football at Alabama....and he had to change to fit in.

He was there at the University of Alabama when Gov. George Wallace (D) refused to allow 2 black students to be segregated into the school.

1024px-Wallace_at_University_of_Alabama_edit2.jpg

People tend to forget what the South was like back then.

What's really interesting is that fact that we never saw Joe Namath play when he was healthy. He was the best running QB in the country while at Alabama.

Here's his story.

That was not Joe Namath when George Wallace barred the door
It was Forrest Gump

forrest-wallace.jpg

Namath is neither dead nor drunk. He quit drinking after embarrassing his friends and family in 2003.

Namath was an amazing athlete. Before he ruined his knees, he was as good a runner as he was a passer.

He also always credited Bear Bryant with much of his success. From Bear he learned to prepare for games and learned the discipline needed to win.

When Namath was a star at Alabama I was a kid living in Tuscaloosa. After he started for the Jets, we would fight over who got to wear the #12 jersey when we played backyard football. We all had Namath jerseys. When he opened Bachelors III in the early 1970s I stood in line to get his autograph. There was another restaurant/bar that he opened in Tuscaloosa later, and I did the same thing. He was a childhood hero.

My son attended the University of Alabama after graduating high school. He graduated in 2003. Namath was in his graduating class. He went back to get his degree after his daughter urged him to do so.

One of the things I thought was special, when the graduate walked across the stage and received his degree, they then walked down another aisle to the back of the auditoreum and then returned to their seat. Namath didn't go back to his seat. He wanted the attention to be on the other students graduating. This was their day. I always thought that was cool of him.

Forum List

Back